The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Houston is about 35 miles x 35 miles, so restaurants available will depend on where you are staying, but it has the usual franchises. I would take a book when I used to have to eat alone. I can't say I ever really enjoyed eating alone as much as eating with someone else.
    Yes, I know how to spell. I'm using freespeling!

freespeling

I live in Memphis! Well not there right now...but the Germantown Commissary is delicious if you like good banana pudding and caramel cake Their BBQ rocks as well!!

Lots of other places that I love too if you are interested. Las Delicias has the best guacamole I've ever eaten, plus great margaritas and really inexpensive prices.

I eat breakfast and lunch by myself sometimes...no issues so far.

My comfort level depends a great deal on the situation.

Obviously hotel restaurants are usually good for business traveler types dining alone. (And the exception to that was one estate hotel in England where I was almost the only diner, there was no music or conversation, and I had about 4 waiters/waterers/others fawning all over me. Ughh.)

Patio dining or a similar casual setup is fine. And pubs aren't uncomfortable if it's a business type crowd.

Fancy/stuffy restaurants are the most awkward!!
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Quote Originally Posted by reay6790 View Post
    I live in Memphis! Well not there right now...but the Germantown Commissary is delicious if you like good banana pudding and caramel cake Their BBQ rocks as well!!
    That's where I got my BBQ. Delicious all around!

In Houston I'll be right near the Galleria mall.

Love, love going out to eat by myself - breakfast, lunch, dinner, whatever. The only requisite is having either good reading material, my writing notebook, or laptop with me.

Also like going to the movies alone - actually I prefer it, as I cannot abide anyone talking to me while a movie is in progress
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

Would really like to enjoy eating by myself, but I always feel uncomfortable - even with a good book. Not sure why. I traveled for several weeks on the road a couple of years ago, and rarely ate out alone. Except when I could find a place they'd allow the dog, who was with me for the journey. That was fun. A great ice breaker.

Have no problem going to the movies on my own, trying sports, or almost anything else. Maybe because I equate eating out with doing something special - and prefer it with someone? Whatever. Should try it more often. Am encouraged that so many others here do!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

I travel a ton for work, and am usually alone when I do. I've eaten alone a lot at the Chilis in DFW, lol. Airports are a great place to get comfortable with solo-dining - because most everyone is doing the same!

I refuse to take a book or a kindle or anything like that when I go out alone. Pull up a barstool, talk to your fellow patrons and the bartender. Bartenders are often the most interesting people to talk to in new cities - and they're great for getting recommendations for other places to try for dinner or sights to see.

I was in Minneapolis this past fall, went to the hotel bar for a quick drink and a little something to munch on after a looooooooooooong day at a trade show - ended up meeting a cool fella from Pensacola who has horses and is a roper (married, though - shucks!).

You just have to be open to potential conversations. It can turn out pretty awesome.
    "I enjoy this motorcade and will recommend it to my niece."

I don't mind at all so long as a have a good book or magazine and the restaurant isn't too loud.

The Galleria has a ton of restaurants but most are either chains or fine dining. The only restaurant I can think of that falls in between those two types and is in the immediate vicinity is Yia Yia Mary's, which is greek food.

I love eating alone! I enjoy it so much that it makes me wonder how social i really am, lol. Socializing and being with people can be great as well (pretty much always is!) But there's something about being by myself to sit, watch people, read a book (i feel a little weird not having reading material- like, where do I look so that i don't end up inadvertently staring blindly at the same unsuspecting person throughout my meal... but i also just LOVE reading) and enjoy the food. It just feels indulgent. Plus I feel recharged by the other people around me.
    It's a little intimidating being alone and wanting to strike up conversation with a stranger, aside from maybe the bartender (a statement which would make my old friends laugh because I used to date bartenders almost exclusively!). My dad went on a solo trip through the Carolinas, Kentucky and Tennessee on a barbecue mission this fall. He was by himself and just asked anyone and everyone for recommendations for food and entertainment. My dad has never met a stranger (which is ironic considering he's a kinda paranoid man in many respects) and just moseyed his way around the region, on his quest for the best bbq chicken (in order to compare and improve upon his own recipe!). I just get tickled thinking of my dad doing this- like the host of his own food network show :-)
    MrB's attempt at talking like a horse person, "We'll be entering in the amateur hunter-gatherer division...."

I travel for work all the time. This means I eat out alone ALOT. No one thinks you're weird for eating alone. Have a nice martini and enjoy it!
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I do it all the time.
    I like sitting at a table and quietly enjoying a meal.

I actually met great friends when I was visiting Houston and got heckled by the band for reading a book at my table.
    The band ended up being the friends.

I moved to Houston ten weeks later, lol.

1 members found this post helpful.

There is PLENTY of good people watching here; you'll meet some interesting characters in Memphis, that's for sure. Just don't talk bad about the tigers... or the grizzlies.

Houston's has the best chicken tenders you will ever know, and Gus's fried chicken is a MUST! A MUST!!!!

If you pass back through, PM me.

I take my Nook so I have a bunch of books to choose from. These days with tablets I imagine it's even cooler -you can surf the net if there's wireless!

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

I, personally, feel creepy. imo
    Strange how much you've got to know Before you know how little you know. Anonymous

I, personally, feel creepy. imo
    Strange how much you've got to know Before you know how little you know. Anonymous

I'm totally okay eating alone as I have something to engage myself with - a book, a magazine, my iphone/iPad, whatever - I just want something to look at so I'm not gazing around and drawing unwanted attention.

I ate out by myself two times this week. Personally, I do not think that other diners are interested in looking at a 60 year old woman eat her meal.

That being said, when I was young, I was self consious about eating alone. I found that most diners are involved with their food and conversation, so do not pay attention to a lone diner.

When you were in Memphis, did you make to the Peabody Hotel to watch the parade of the ducks? It is quite entertaining. The Rendezvous BBQ place is good, too.

We lived in Memphis, back in the early '80's, so I am certain that much has changed.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!