The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How do you feel about going out to eat alone?

I'm traveling for work this week and I'm currently in Memphis. I really want to get out and eat good food or find a fun bar but for whatever reason I get very angsty about eating out alone. Lunch is fine but dinner is always awkward for me. I can basically talk to a rock so I'm not sure why this is so hard for me!

How about you guys? Perfectly comfortable or awkward?

Also any tips on great eats in Memphis or Houston appreciated!

LOVE! You can meet so many cool people especially if you choose to eat in the bar side of the restaurant.

Take a book if you really don't feel comfortable chatting people up. But I traveled pretty extensively (5 days a week, usually 3 cities per week) for a few years, as well as overseas, and always met interesting people.

that said, please do be careful. Don't tell anyone where you're staying, don't move to another location with a group. Stay safe. But have fun and eat well!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

3 members found this post helpful.

I was going to say I love it. Just bring a good book. But I see you want to socialize- so I have no idea

In Memphis for good eats try Gus's Fried Chicken,http://gusmendenhall.com/; Corky's, https://www.corkysbbq.com/, for a true "Memphis" experience.

Huey's is a good place too. They have a bar, so you could eat there and maybe not feel as awkward. http://hueyburger.com/ I often had their red beans and rice. Loved it.

1 members found this post helpful.

I do it all the time when I travel for work. I usually eat at the bar, and make idle chit chat with the bartender or other patrons if they are pleasant/non-creepy. Otherwise I read a book on my phone with the Kindle app. It can be totally entertaining or totally boring, depending on who's sitting near you.

I can eat alone anywhere, as long as I have a book/kindle with me to read. When I travel, I too like to sit at the bar, if it's not too noisy or crazy.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

Eating alone? What's that? I have a 7 year old and a husband who is away lots.....In all seriousness, I used to eat out alone lots when I was in grad school. I always took a book but ate bar side as others have suggested, you meet tons of interesting people.

I used to travel a lot on business and ended up going to eat by myself a lot. That is until someone else joined me. if you look friendly you can meet a lot of interesting people.

Never let them sit you in the back corner of the restaurant. Go for a center table.

I traveled through europe by myself a couple of times. I met a bunch of welshmen in a restaurant in Dunkirk and we were there until 3AM. Another time I met a german and an italian at a bar in Bruge Belgium and had a great time.

I ate dinner with members of the Utah Jazz in a hotel restaurant one time because the restaurant was crowded and I was by myself. They came over and asked if they could share the table.
    "I couldn't find my keys, so I put her in the trunk"

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I don't mind it at all and I did it a lot before I got a dog, but as I live in the burbs and not the urban grind part of Northern VA, it's pretty much taboo unless you're at a Subway or Quiznos or the like. Since I have a host of restaurants within spitting distance of my house, I never feel compelled to really eat at any of them alone anymore when I can just grab the food and go eat in the comfort of my own home with my dog and my Netflix queue.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

If you can talk to a rock (so can I, LOL) then go do it! I love, love, love eating out solo. I always end up making a buttload of new friends and having the best times! Sit at a bar if possible if you're in the mood for company. Or get a book or magazine and sit at a table and enjoy some great reading and peace and quiet along with a great meal!

It's normal to feel a bit antsy about eating out solo in a new area...but you'll only feel that way about the idea of doing it and relax and have a blast once you do it.

Plus I've heard Memphis has some fantastic food! Shame to miss out on it. Plus you have a built-in topic of conversation...you're not from around there!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I have no problem dining out alone.
    You can sit at the bar if you want to socialize, but do bring a book as back up, in case the people next to you aren't good company.

This strategy works well for aircraft travel as well.

BuddyRoo's advice is wise. Be careful and don't give out your hotel, or room number(if you are dining at your hotel). Watch, when you leave (even if you are in your hotel and just returning to your room) to make sure you are not being followed.

Sit at the bar! Even if you don't drink. I travel a lot and I often eat out alone. If I am feeling social and want to find out about the new area I am in I sit at the bar. Most of the time the other patrons are chatty and I have met some great people that way.
    If I just want some food and am not feeling chatty I bring my kindle and read.
    Railgirl.blogspot.com

The other thing I might add is, be aware of what you're ordering, if you think you might feel self-conscious eating something very messy while alone. That always crosses my mind anyway (for instance, I won't eat something like chicken wings or ribs while sitting by myself. But that is just my own issue).
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

I agree about the bar, I always sit there when traveling for work/eating alone. I take a book or article or trade publication or whatever, and only chat if in the mood.

Do it all the time. Bring a magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by cranky View Post
    The other thing I might add is, be aware of what you're ordering, if you think you might feel self-conscious eating something very messy while alone. That always crosses my mind anyway (for instance, I won't eat something like chicken wings or ribs while sitting by myself. But that is just my own issue).
    That is interesting. I am the opposite. I'd be MUCH more self conscious eating something "messy" with others. Much less self conscious about it if by myself.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

2 members found this post helpful.

I do it all the time. Bring a book or magazine.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I was so scared to eat alone at first. I thought it would be so weird. Now, I love it. I can read, edit pictures, write, or just be alone! Honestly, one of the best kept secrets ever so to speak.
    Hope Blooming- Life with Chronic Pancreatitis

My blog: Life with Pancreatitis

Well, I did it. No bar, but the owner offered to seat me with the "young fella" that was also by himself! Ha ha. I did not actually do that. Delicious BBQ followed by banana pudding. I should probably run the four miles back to counteract it.

Despite my social nature I'm normally like Lex - take-out and movies with the dog. So this will be an adventure this week.

4 members found this post helpful.

Just have fun. Look, you already made friends with the OWNER! Nice!

Also, feel free to make up a cover persona if you wish. For a time, I was a hog farmin' fighter pilot. At least til I knew someone wasn't a serial killer.

Have fun.

Eat well.

Be safe.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...