The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Weve talked about crock pot meals now about crock pots

Im not really sure how old mine is maybe 20 years but it croaked today, element is shot What things are on crock pots now that I needed all these years & never knew? Know I need the removable crock to dishwash, what else might I want? I need about a 4-5 qt one, nothing really big.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I just have a standard crock with a Low, High, and Warm setting. What I would love to have is one of the models with a timer, so I could set it on Low for 6 hours, and then after 6 hours it would automatically shift to Warm.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

1 members found this post helpful.

Good idea Renn I just usually left it on Low cause DH likes his roast falling apart so the more cooking the better.
    Im not really sad to see this one go, I melted a plastic lid in it years ago & it stinks a bit everytime I heat it up!
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I melted the knob part-way off of mine by leaving it too close to the stove.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

If you want the mother of all crock pots, check out All Clad. Has all the fancy timer settings (up to 20 hours I think) plus a sear feature. They're pretty awesome.

Otherwise, a fairly basic Crock Pot model should come with a timer and at least high/low heat settings. I know I got mine at Costco for around $50 a few years ago and has the timer-to-warm setting on it. Its also one of the larger, oval shaped ones. I love it.

We got a 6 qt KitchenAid as a wedding present from my in-laws and it is AWESOME. It's much more sturdy than any other crock pot I've seen, and has the option to set multiple timers then switch to warm. It also washes really easily and allows me to make enough to freeze for pack lunches. If I had been shopping for myself, it's probably fancier than I would have gone, but it sure was a nice gift!
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

Equi-Sport Services

All I can say is that bigger is better. Mine is just too small. All I need is High/Low from a temp point of view, but I could sure use more space sometimes! It was on my Xmas wish list...le sigh.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Crock-Pot-...Quart/17770997

I bought this one, can't beat $30. Its programable, which is great because if I can't be back home in 6hrs it turns to warm. I wish the lid has a rubber seal on it, but it seems to keep the heat in just fine.

Look at this one, I dont always care for Amazon cause I wourk with them as a vendor but I like the locking lid in case I ever move it.

http://www.amazon.com/Crock-Pot-SCCP.../dp/B003HF6PUO

Or even better cause it will stop cooking when the meat is done

http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach...odel+%23+33966
    Last edited by JohnDeere; Feb. 18, 2013 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Found me another one

I like the Crock Pot one- the locking lid would be good for potlucks and such (or if you have a cat with secret opposable thumbs that can get the lid off of anything in your kitchen, like mine ). But the second one- I'm leery of Hamilton Beach products. I have a toaster oven of theirs that will randomly decide to set things on fire and it really just isn't well made. Maybe a one-off thing but it certainly has deterred me from buying their products since.
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

Equi-Sport Services

Do not pass go, do not collect $200 - go directly to the Crock Pot locking lid one! I also have the Hamilton Beech locking lid one (yes, I collect crock pots LOL).

They truly lock & seal totally leak proof. I've hauled soup, chili, BBQ, etc. and not one drop oozed out.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

I am on #5 - first one was a gift from my Mom, had the non-removable crock and taught me to love slow-cooking. It was super-simple, had just 2 settings High & Low.

#2 is still in use at the barn to cook up a hot mash. It lost its lid years ago so I just cover with foil and use a lid from one of my supplement buckets and it works fine. It's one of the early removable crock ones, still has just High & Low speeds.

#3 lasted me near 10 years and when it finally died I was turning it on & off with a pliers since the knob had broken off long ago. It was my first oval-shaped and I won't go back to round. Ever!

I up-sized to 7qt for #4 and it proved waaaaaay too big for me. If I was cooking for a large family it might work, but just too much space cooking for one. It mostly sits unless I'm having a large party when it might get pressed into use.

#5 is a $15 Sears 5qt and it is a perfect size for me. It has the Warm setting that's nice - I set it on Low all day, then switch to Warm when I get home so things cool down a bit while I'm feeding.

If I could justify the price I'd go with the AllClad or another brand that offers a timer and auto-switch from cooking to keeping warm.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I'm pretty sure I bought this one for my parents last year - and LOVE IT! Innards are lightweight nonstick. Top has push-tabs that keep it tight (if you should want to carry it with you). Looks a bit complicated, but believe me, if my mom can figure it out, anyone can!!! (I DID leave handwritten, simple step-by-step instructions - which by the way, I've also done for the DVD player, but that remains beyond her comprehension.)

That would be THIS one: http://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-6-Quart...ndingMethod=rr
    Last edited by ccoronios; Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:01 PM. Reason: forgot link
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

No HamiltonBeach. Got it. Really like the locking lid. Anyone who has more than 1 crockpot is close to Martha Stewert in my book

2dogs I have the crock from my old one still, do you want it or the lid? I may put it on here for free, crock & lid fine, its round. Dont know the size, 4 or 5 quart maybe. Can measure if anyone wants it.