The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Home Improvement Projects?

Anyone working on any home improvement projects? I just had my kitchen and powder room painted (and new lighting and other fixtures in the powder room) and now I really have the bug to make changes.

I have been haunting Houzz as well as virtually shopping (adding stuff to my cart, but not submitting the order) various online furniture and decorating stores. Fantasizing about new floors, new cabinets, new sofa, etc. etc. etc.

So, give me a vicarious thrill, what are you working on at your home?
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

We just redid our bathroom. Well, hubby did, I just helped with design and painting.
    It was a 1950ies tin tiled bathroom, in pink and turquoise.

Hubby tore everything down. And I mean everything. And we now have a nice big shower area with glass door, tiled walls, a ceiling shower head, more closet space, a towel heater in lieu of the baseboard radiator, and nice Mediterranean colors throughout. I LOVE it!

Hubby just blew me away. He is a computer consultant...yet he did everything himself: electricity, plumbing, sheet rocking, tileing...
    I think we're now in great shape to renovate my parents' house!

The next step will probably be to refinish the downstairs hardwood floors. Not looking forward to moving all the furniture, not to mention the dust and smell...maybe we'll actually HIRE someone to do that, for a change? lol
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

We're redoing our bathroom. We're currently living in a late 50's modern style house that we bought for a rental. I was having serious trouble figuring out how to update the thing, particularly since my own taste and home is a traditional farmhouse.
    Luckily the 50's/60's modern thing seems to have come way back in style and it's getting easier and easier to find contemporary stuff that complements the original house design but doesnt stray too close to the brady bunch.

I ditched the original (white!) shag in the bathroom long ago. The peach colored sink/toilet/tub are coming out tomorrow. We're replacing with a stone floor, dark brown vanity with super clean lines/chrome hardware and a plain white top/sink. New tub is also super minimalist and boxy. Backsplash/tub surround is small glass and stone mixed rectangular tiles. Colors are greys/browns. Nothing super spectacular, but oh so exciting for me - the sooner it's done the sooner we're moving out. I've discovered the 60's aren't for me

We ripped out the carpet in my living room and laid down hand scraped engineered hardwood. I also painted the walls grey, put up new trim, and did casings and trim around the cutouts, which were previously just drywall and got dinged over and over by a foster dog with a cone of shame. It's my first house, and I'm really enjoying tackling anything I can do with my Hitachi miter saw.

Pics

I have a HUGE collection of decoration and rehab idea photos on my computer. I've been slowly doing cosmetic changes to my home's interior. The first handful of years here we did nothing to the home because we were so busy clearing and putting up barn and fencing and all that for the horses.

A couple years ago I was damned sick of the white walls and ugly kitchen cabinets and started doing some inside stuff.
    For us it's mainly cosmetic. I'd LOVE to to a kitchen tear out and redo, but I'm a kitchen fanatic and there's no way I'll spend thousands and not get *exactly* what I want and will use. So I painted the ugly-ass cheapo cabinets and changed hardware and got better appliances. But I drool over having my kitchen professionally done. (I use the heck out of my kitchen with cooking and baking all the time)

I've recently redid the living room, made the 3rd bedroom a man-room for hubby (best thing in the world for a wife is a room just for her husband!) and youngest daughter's room was redone not too long ago. The only things I have left to do are paint the hallway (probably later this week or next week) and the master bed and bath need redecorating. My obstacle is Mr Blue. Despite already redoing rooms and him loving it...every time I start any project he's a mess until it's finished. He hates change. And always assumes nobody can change anything unless they spend at least $20,000 and hire a team of top professionals to do it...so we can't do it. So 90% of the projects I do I start after he leaves for work and I finish before he gets home.

I want to rip out the tub/shower combo in the master bath and make it a bigger walk in shower. We're keeping this house, so not worried about resale. And we *never* take baths. Useless for us. I want a big-ass shower with a seat. And upgrade the toilet and vanity. Nothing uber-fancy. And 2 rooms need new flooring. I want to swap out the wall to wall in those for wood but we have an old dog right now and he can't walk on anything but carpet or his hind end slides and falls.

But enough of my blathering...let's see some photos folks1
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

small project but
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1034060...25126248230690

lamp and pot racks
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Our house is a work in progress. It is 160 + years old, and I loved it as soon as I saw it. However......there must have been a sale on flesh coloured paint because when we moved in the entire house (walls and ceilings) with the exception of the kitchen, were flesh toned. The kitchen was dark green with orange and yellow stripes around the top of the wall. Oh my........We have tried to take it room by room, starting with the bedrooms. I have done the cosmetic stuff with the kitchen, painting and such, but we are saving to rip it out and redo the cabinetry. Don't you all love old houses.......?

Carol, that looks great. And that ceiling is gorgeous!

Horseymum, please tell me you have photos of the "before" colors in your kitchen???
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

1 members found this post helpful.

I believe that I do...somewhere, I try not to remember where. The kitchen and living and dining are now a pale buttery yellow with white woodwork and cabinets. Lots of built ins as there is no storage in a house as old as ours. Did I mention that the counter top was pumpkin orange, and that they had a bit left over that they used to build a vanity in the bathroom?!

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Carol, that looks great. And that ceiling is gorgeous!
    If Mr p is not careful he bangs his head on the pots but I love the lamp and pot racks
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Horseymum; OMG...sounds, erm, dreamy? (or acid-induced hallucinatory? LOL)

I'd love to see them!

Did you paint the woodwork white or was it already painted? White woodwork goes a long way to brighten things up and makes paint colors pop more...and you have more paint color choices. I've been waffling over whether to do my woodwork or not. No I choose paint colors to go with the color the woodwork is stained, which limits choices. But my windows are wood and painting the windows (not just the frames) is more than I'd want to tackle.

Carol; he can wear a helmet, it looks great and is worth a head-bonk or two, LOL!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I love the look of the pot racks. I've noticed that the last few pictures I've saved to my idea book on Houzz have hanging pots and multiple materials (wood, stainless, white, cast iron) that create visual interest. I love the look of an actual working kitchen.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

MistyBlue the woodwork was all natural and pretty bad quality in the kitchen as that had been added later. They basically nailed up two by fours around the doors and widows and stained them, badly. Since the rest of the house has pretty substantial woodwork we added mouldings to the kitchen and then painted it white with high gloss paint. It does chip a bit, but I put that down to a big dog and a 7 year old girl running around all the time. I would go with painting the wood it just adds so much light to the room and you are right gives you a huge choice of colours for the walls......I will try to find some photos and post them.....unfortunately I still have the orange counter top.....but it is slightly less horrid with the better colours.

Carol I love the pot racks would love some of those!

1 members found this post helpful.

We did some kitchen updates and waiting on DH to get the backsplash up. Just picked out paint for the master and will paint this weekend before new furniture is due in a week or so. Also trying to finalize plans to re-do the shower and flooring in the master bath. Just picked up new mirrors for the bath, so have to try and get the old giant ugly one. I've picked out colors for other rooms, but I think those will be heat of summer projects.
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

We (mostly me, but hubby helped a bit) just replaced all of the drawer handles on the kitchen cabinets, and put in a tiled backsplash. I had always wanted to learn how to tile, and it turned out great.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

We are about to tackle fixing up my late brother's little bungalow. It needs a new roof and to have the floors leveled (it's on post and block underneath). Then we will strip the old wall paper in the bathroom, and paint the whole interior. The outside needs paint too, but we'll see about that. The house won't sell for much, so we don't want to put in a ton of money. When we sold my Mom's house 3 years ago, we did find that putting a bit more $ and effort into the house made it sell right away, so we will be doing all but the roof ourselves. Will also be sprucing up the landscaping. We've spent the last 3 1/2 months since his death cleaning out his welding shop. So far we've taken out over 10 tons of scrap steel, 1 ton of scrap aluminum, 50 gallons of assorted paints and hazardous waste, and probably 3 tons of trash. We still have several truck loads of stuff to get out of that shop. Then DH can start on the shop up at the house *insert exhausted emoticon here*.

I'm having a sunroom addition put on adjoining the kitchen. They were supposed to come and dig the foundation yesterday, but didn't make it. I think that was because the temperature was in the lower teens for most of the morning. I know I wouldn't want to be working outdoors in temperatures like that. Hopefully, they'll be here today. I'm super excited because it's something I've wanted to do for at least 20 years. I finally decided that I'm not getting any younger and, if I wanted to enjoy it, I had better do it now. It will have pretty much solid windows and will look out on my back yard. At long last, I will be able to sit and watch all of the critters that pass through that yard.

I actually already have the furniture. I got it last Fall, on half-price sale. I love it. It was custom ordered furniture that the original buyer backed out on. It's very neutral and subdued. I want this room to be peaceful and relaxing because I am sure I will be spending a great deal of my time there.

With that in mind, I went out last Friday and got the tile for the floors. I'm having the kitchen, pantry and laundry room done at the same time, all in the same tile as the sunroom. I lucked out, again, and found the perfect tile on sale. Again, it's a neutral sand beige look; this time, for resale value as well as personal preference. I didn't want anything too unusual because you never know what the people looking at your house to purchase are going to like. With neutrals, it can be tweeked pretty much any way that you want.

Now the real fun begins, because with the rest of the details, I can be a little more adventurous. I've got shades for all of those windows to pick out, paint and fixtures. Plus all the little details like lamps and rugs. I'm thinking cooler colors, maybe greens and blues, for the sunroom, with warmer details for the other three rooms because they don't get as much natural light (just paint there, probably, and new door handles for the cupboards in the kitchen.)

I, too, have an older house, parts dating back to the 1860's. This will be the first major upgrade since my folks had a downstairs bathroom addition done in the 1980's.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

We were about to move along to putting a tile entry way by our basement door & recarpeting things down there (the old carpet is practically pink, it's sooooo ugly) but we got sidetracked....one of our kitchen cabinets started to fall off the wall so that had to be removed - and during the removal process, it kind of broke, so now I'm hoping that Mr. Indy's "carpentry skills" can put the damned thing back together and hang it back again.

Once the kitchen is re-fixed and the basement is tiled/carpeted, it will be time to paint the last little bedroom (hopefully). Then it's bathroom de-uglying time...but that probably won't be until this summer or next fall now, sigh.

Love the pot rack and gorgeous ceiling, too!

A few years ago we remodel our kitchen, too. We actually moved it to a different room. Did most of the work ourselves, but hired pros to install cabinets and counter top. I LOVE it. We cook and bake a lot so we needed a true functional and welcoming kitchen. We added the skylights 2 years ago. Lots of light, direct access to the yard and herbs.
    Pic taken from the dining room
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...g?t=1361278097

Bathroom before (small space, so I had to take several pics from different angles):
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...g?t=1361278372

After
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...g?t=1361278449

sink and '50ies vanity before
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...g?t=1361278369

and after - LOVE that towel heater!
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...g?t=1361278550

old bath tub being destroyed
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...g?t=1361278366

New walk-in shower
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...g?t=1361278466

(I took te pic into the vanity mirror to show the shower space behind me)
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...g?t=1361278469

Now the litter box is hidden, with plenty of storage/ shelves above it.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...g?t=1361278457

Ok, I'll stop now.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Sophie, that gold color is exactly what I was thinking about for my kitchen. Would you mind telling me what it is so that I can shamelessly copy it for my kitchen walls?
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.