The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Russian meteorite

Did I miss a thread about this on OT day?

I'm still watching the videos, which are astounding, but what's even more astounding is the NOISE it made. Very frightening.

Here are my 2 favorite tweets about it:

"In Soviet Russia, space explores you!" - flyosity

"I like to think that just before that meteor hit, some guy in Russia said, "This day couldn't get any worse."" - edyong209

Quote Originally Posted by Anne FS View Post
    Here are my 2 favorite tweets about it:

"In Soviet Russia, space explores you!" - flyosity

"I like to think that just before that meteor hit, some guy in Russia said, "This day couldn't get any worse."" - edyong209
    Haha...awesome.

It was amazing to watch the videos!

...One of the most popular jokes was that the meteorite was supposed to fall on Dec. 21 last year -- when many believed the Mayan calendar predicted the end of the world -- but was delivered late by Russia's notoriously inefficient postal service...
    SOURCE:
    (Also includes video of shock wave effects)
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

1 members found this post helpful.

So the same time a Bruce Willis movie opens about Russia, then Russia has a huge meteorite? Must be connected to Bruce and Armageddon. Then, there was another smaller one over California, and then Florida. This is getting strange.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

There are smaller ones all the time. You're only hearing about them because of the big one, and probably also because of the close pass asteroid on the same day. Most burn up harmlessly in the atmosphere. I've seen two in the past dozen years or so - once while entering a Wendy's with my family we saw one streaking across the sky (in the daytime). The other time I was driving to work when I worked overnights. It was probably about 12:30 AM and a big greenish ball of flame went across the sky. This was about a year after 9/11 and when I arrived at work (TV station) the calls were pouring in... people thought it was a missile attack or something.

The media is always in a state of hypersensitivity. Last week it was guns, this week it's meteors. It's a way of life to them.

Bolides (fireballs) frequently enter the Earth's atmosphere. They're just getting more press than usual.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

There's a video making the rounds. It's real video of the Russian meteor but then tacked on is a crater from some drilling operation. Too bad, because the actual video of the falling meteor and the terrificly loud explosions are impressive enough without faking video.

There was also a news item about how dash-cams are extremely popular with civilians in Russia, so there are so many videos of the falling meteor - not just police car dash-cams, but everyday people got it on camera.