The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dressage trainers with lesson horses in northern Illinois?

Hopefully I'm not doing something wrong. I've been doing lots of searching and googling and while I've come across some trainer recommendations in the area, it's usually for people that have their own horse. I do not.

I live in the northwestern suburbs of Chicago (Barrington). I've been riding hunter/jumper for over 17 years, but I'm not very good. I'm willing to drive an hour at most.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Oak Brook Farms in Oak Brook, IL has a variety of school horses. The barn specifically focuses on dressage. I ride with Suzanne Galdun, the head trainer there. I also neeeded somewhere with school horses since I switched disciplines from hunters and have been horseless since. The barn is clean and instruction is good. A clinician, Guillermo de Hoogh, comes in twice a month. They also offer shareboarding and go to shows.

http://www.oakbrookfarmsil.com/

I ride out at Silver Fern in Woodstock, which is about 30 minutes from Barrington. My trainer is Christy Rettger (http://rettgerdressage.com/) and she has several you can ride. In fact, even though I have my own horse, I take lessons on the others quite frequently because they're great teachers in their own rights. A number of Christy's students have made the transition from H/J to dressage, and she'll help you develop your seat and give you a great foundation. She's also a really sweet person. There are some nice horses available for shareboarding too, if you really get the bug.
    Don't wrassle with a hog. You just get dirty, and the hog likes it.

Collecting Thoroughbreds - tales of a re-rider and some TBs