The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Short Girth Suggestions?

My pony has a large capped elbow on the left fore. Its been seen by many vets, its not a surgical candidate (vets said it would not be wise as it doesn't affect her performance and chances of regrowth), and normally doesn't bug us at all. But recently (no changes in saddle, girth etc) has been getting irritated by the short girth that I use. There are no rubs at the girth area, just the back of the capped elbow. Currently she has a 16" synthetic dressage girth. Her saddle and girth aren't too forward, its great on the other side. I am not certain which way to go with this. Shorter girth? Longer? Anatomic? I'm at a loss!

Left Side (With Cap): https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...52121192_n.jpg, I slid everthing back just a bit after that picture, but its settled right, the cap is just..big
    Right Side (not best angle but it shows its not super forward): https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...75647869_n.jpg

Maybe the Tekna dressage girth?

http://www.teknasaddlery.com/product...ype=2&pageID=2

I had to use a very short girth on keebler since I have a monoflap dressage saddle and he is a small-bodied 15.1 on his tippy toes. This one fit him very well and left a lot of "elbow room". I don't think it comes in a 16" but the 20" fit him roughly the same as an 18" in other brands.
    Click here before you buy.

She sticks at 13.3, when I didn't have a monoflap she wore a 36" girth. I wondered if the Tekna would work but her 16" is pretty far up on the billets for her jumping saddle. The price definitely makes it worth a try though!

How about a fleecey girth? My horse got rubbed in the elbows by my fancy leather County Logic girth when I first got him, so I switched to a fleece lined girth (I think it the Lettia Coolmax). Problem went away. Of course, they don't make them (as far as I can tell) small enough, at least in that brand.

However, Just for Ponies has a few short girths available down to a 14". Not fleece lined, but shorter. http://www.justforponies.com/girths.aspx

I'm wondering if just going shorter may move it just enough to help..with maybe a home made fleece over the buckles?

I think I still have Po's very short cottage craft girth you can have - I'll go look for it tomorrow. I definitely didn't throw it out, and she doesn't need it now that she's in proper grown-up 16s.

1 members found this post helpful.

This might be more than you want to spend, but I've had great luck with a mohair endurance girth on my dressage saddle for a small Arab that gets rubbed by everything. I have it in 18", and they'll make it in 16".

The endurance girth is shaped so there's a little more space by the elbows, and the mohair doesn't seem to rub.

http://www.mossrockendurance.com/vie...=9&prod_ID=353

Quote Originally Posted by KateWooten View Post
    I think I still have Po's very short cottage craft girth you can have - I'll go look for it tomorrow. I definitely didn't throw it out, and she doesn't need it now that she's in proper grown-up 16s.
    I never thought we'd downsize from our grownup 16s after finally getting there, and she's GAINED weight, though also a LOT of fitness. Kate, if you can find it, I'd love to try/buy it, if you'd be open to that.