The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 200
  1. #81
    Join Date
    Mar. 26, 2006
    Posts
    512

    Default

    [QUOTE=mercedespony;6843192]I'm not paranoid.
    I choose to retain the right to see more data. I'm not big on Pharma, it is and will never be my first choice.
    Pharma may manufacture the vaccine, but basic, National Institutes of Health research is what led to its discovery. This wasn't something Evil Companies just came up with to make money

    By the way, don't mean to freak you out, but we also have never done a flu vaccination - we are young, eat well, and are strong and healthy. I'm prepared to spend a week or more down with the flu.
    I'm sure the elderly, immunocompromised, and the young kids you infect before you show symptoms will thank you very much for your concern.

    HPV vaccine has not been, imo, proven for the next generation results and fertility rates.
    Seeing as how HPV can be transmitted from mother to child (Clin Infect Dis. 2013 Feb 7. [Epub
    PMID: 23392393), I'd say you might be dooming the next generation to a completely preventabe cancer, because you have a very poor understanding of how immunizations work. Your immune system's response to a virus does not affect your fertility.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Dec. 18, 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    4,654

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by starrunner View Post
    I just think children are lucky to be born into a 1st world country where we have these types of vaccinations available to them, where refrigeration and many times, cost is not the issue.

    I think it's sad because the vast majority of cervical cancers occur in developing countries where this isn't an option.

    I also think that a lot of people have enjoyed the comforts of herd immunity and it's going to be an uncomfortable wakeup call when more ugly diseases come rearing their heads again. (Not an HPV specific comment...a general vaccination comment).
    I agree with you; and have read that there are areas of population where people are not havign their children vaccinated for MMR, for example, because of fears of autism. And while I think that we should always be cautious with vaccines, (despite the fact that I believe there probably are risks that we just don't know about or understand), I think that in general, the risks are worth taking in comparison to risking the disease itself.

    Quote Originally Posted by SMF11 View Post
    I want to thank everyone on this thread as it has convinced me to get my sons vaccinated.

    However I do want to say that those being cautious are not crazy. My mother, a lifelong nurse, advocates not taking any new drug for several years so that we can see if there are problems or not. Of course, it is a risk/benefit analysis -- if there's a new drug that will save your life, of course, take it!

    To me, the benefit of avoiding cancer is pretty large vs the extremely small chance of a serious side-effect.
    Thank you. I agree that avoiding cancer is a huge benefit. However, if I can safely put off vaccinating my kids for a year or two, I will; especially because I think the high incidence of fainting, with "seizure-like" behaviors - is concerning.



  3. #83
    Join Date
    Mar. 23, 2006
    Location
    OKC
    Posts
    1,912

    Default

    When I had the vaccine, I was required to sit in the Dr's office for 15 minutes afterwards to ensure there was no reaction. Did anyone else's Drs require this?

    And I am an extremely needle phobic person, but I suck it up and look the other way when it comes to vaccines.
    Only two emotions belong in the saddle: One is a sense of humor. The other is patience.



  4. #84
    Join Date
    Mar. 23, 2006
    Location
    OKC
    Posts
    1,912

    Default

    duplicate post
    Last edited by bugsynskeeter; Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:41 AM.
    Only two emotions belong in the saddle: One is a sense of humor. The other is patience.



  5. #85
    Join Date
    Apr. 4, 2007
    Location
    Jasper, GA
    Posts
    2,148

    Default

    According to the literature, syncope after vaccination (or fainting -which includes muscle stiffening; jerking and twitching; loss of consciousness) is at the exact same rate as other childhood vaccines. Most of the fainting occurs at the time of injection, or directly after (15 minutes). There is a lot of speculation that it happens to some people every time they have to get a shot or they see blood. This is particularly true in adolescents -who tend to faint more easily.
    http://www.healthychildren.org/Engli...No+local+token

    VAERS reports show that fainting (in general, not related to vaccines) is more common in adolescents. From January 1, 2005--July 31, 2007, 62% of the fainting reports to VAERS were among adolescents, 11 to 18 years old. Although this is a relatively high percentage, we cannot use VAERS data (due to the limitation of VAERS) to determine how frequently fainting occurs after vaccination.

    So, actually waiting until children are between the ages of 11-18 might increase the risk of fainting. Which, generally is considered a harmless side effect -except when they fall and hurt themselves and why it is recommended that patients remain sitting for 15 minutes after any injection or blood draw..
    Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s


    4 members found this post helpful.

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Oct. 15, 2001
    Posts
    4,710

    Default

    I nearly passed out from the flu shot this year. Just like I almost did from the tetanus shot a few years back. For me at least, it is related to the spot in the shoulder where they stick the needle... gives me the creepy crawlies and I get light-headed.

    Interestingly, I can get injections in the hip/buttocks with no issue.



  7. #87
    Join Date
    Aug. 18, 2004
    Posts
    1,422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by S1969 View Post
    And yet, awards have been made.
    ....and licenses revoked.

    I would advise having your kids get the vaccine.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Oct. 12, 2001
    Location
    Center of the Universe
    Posts
    7,014

    Default

    I agree that waiting for a bit after introducing any new medical thing is a good idea, but this vaccine was released onto the market in 2006. It's been out there for over 12 years. It's not new, it's old.

    Frankly, if my parents failed to give me this vaccine early enough and I contracted HPV and then suffered through the horrors of colposcopies and biopsies and loop-excisions and possibly even developed cancer, all entirely preventable, I'd be rather ticked off at my parents.
    I only wish it had been around early enough to protect me.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  9. #89
    Join Date
    Oct. 2, 1999
    Location
    Mendocino County, CA: Turkey Vulture HQ
    Posts
    14,585

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by S1969 View Post
    Sigh. Believe it or not, I am quite positive that my 11 year old is in no danger; one of many, many reasons we homeschool is so that pre-teen girls do not feel pressured to have sex at age 11. Because quite honestly, I doubt most of those sexually active pre-teens really are interested in the sex - especially the girls. But feel free to think what you want; my kids and I have a pretty good relationship so I feel confident I am not putting them in danger by not having them vaccinated yet.
    As you say, not all young sex is consensual.

    My daughter is vaccinated. It's not about sex, it's about cancer. This vaccination will protect her after she is married as well.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket


    4 members found this post helpful.

  10. #90
    Join Date
    Jan. 14, 2005
    Location
    Aiken SC / Fay NC
    Posts
    5,367

    Default

    At the advice of my mother (who is typically very conservative about people going nuts on vaccines) I tried to get the HPV vaccine at 25 from my OBGYN but they wouldn't give it to me because I was "too old".
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450



  11. #91
    Join Date
    Jan. 14, 2005
    Location
    Aiken SC / Fay NC
    Posts
    5,367

    Default

    Get your kids vaccinated, but just don't do all the damn shots at one time. Cannot tell you how many times docs want to just pile on all of the shots at once.
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450



  12. #92
    Join Date
    Nov. 28, 2008
    Posts
    82

    Default

    Might be a little OT, but it's kind of related....

    What if you are just getting divorced from a monogamous long-term relationship, don't expect to be re-entering the dating pool anytime soon but you never know. Do "older people" get vaccinated nowadays?

    (Honestly, the way I feel now, I don't think STD's are ever really going to be a concern for me, I think I need to not get involved with anyone ever again. BUT... I also think it probably isn't all that helpful in encouraging me to ever get over "fear of intimacy" to have "avoiding STDs" be such an important factor on the plus-side column!)



  13. #93
    Join Date
    Feb. 5, 2010
    Posts
    2,476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by S1969 View Post
    Who are you even talking to? My kids are vaccinated for everything except HPV (so far), and I have no plans to NOT have them vaccinated for that. I am just not running out to have them be first in line. And frankly, it disturbs me that people are so casual about pre-teen sex that their response is to just vaccinate their kids at an early age. Yikes.
    I'm not going to wade through all the posts to find it, but there was a mother of girls who said she was not going to get her daughters vaccinated, but ended the post with something like, "So, everyone go out and get your sons vaccinated!!" so her daughters will be protected. Yeah. Unrealistic, selfish, and hypocritical.

    And, no, people are not being "casual" about pre-teen sex--they are REALISTIC about it. It's this whole, "It wouldn't happen to MY family or MY children!!" additude that puts kids at risk. Heck, I knew a very nice, close-knit, religious (NOT that that fact automatically makes them good people, just throwing it out there for people who feel that being religious means their kids will not have sex) family whose 14-year-old son was smoking pot and drinking, and their daughter started having sex at 13. These things can happen to ANY family, no matter how close you are with your kids or how much you try to shelter them.



  14. #94
    Join Date
    Feb. 5, 2010
    Posts
    2,476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kj2H1D View Post
    Might be a little OT, but it's kind of related....

    What if you are just getting divorced from a monogamous long-term relationship, don't expect to be re-entering the dating pool anytime soon but you never know. Do "older people" get vaccinated nowadays?
    I recently started seeing a very well-respected doctor who is a "traditional" doctor but is also very much into healing through proper nutrition, holistic stuff, etc. She told me that she recommends Gardasil for ANYONE who plans on having sex with a new partner any time in their lifetime. I'm in my early 30's and she recommended it for me, since it wasn't around when I was a kid. She said she even recommends it for middle-aged women who are getting divorced, etc., because if they will be having sex with a new partner at ANY time, they are exposed to risk of developing HPV and possibly cervical cancer.

    It definitely seems like a no-brainer to me. I think the thing that people are freaking out about is the whole sex angle. Maybe if they had just said "it's a shot that will protect you against cervical and other types of cancer", people would feel differently about it? But, for some reason, you throw sex into the mix and everyone is running around wringing their hands and worrying that having their kids vaccinated = giving them permission to immediately start engaging in drunken orgies every weekend.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  15. #95
    Join Date
    Aug. 12, 2010
    Location
    Westford, Massachusetts
    Posts
    3,904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle View Post
    I'm not going to wade through all the posts to find it, but there was a mother of girls who said she was not going to get her daughters vaccinated, but ended the post with something like, "So, everyone go out and get your sons vaccinated!!" so her daughters will be protected. Yeah. Unrealistic, selfish, and hypocritical.
    That one annoyed me too. Though whose to say her girls will be straight? If not all the girls except hers will need to be vaccinated too.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  16. #96
    Join Date
    Nov. 28, 2008
    Posts
    82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle View Post
    I recently started seeing a very well-respected doctor who is a "traditional" doctor but is also very much into healing through proper nutrition, holistic stuff, etc. She told me that she recommends Gardasil for ANYONE who plans on having sex with a new partner any time in their lifetime. I'm in my early 30's and she recommended it for me, since it wasn't around when I was a kid. She said she even recommends it for middle-aged women who are getting divorced, etc., because if they will be having sex with a new partner at ANY time, they are exposed to risk of developing HPV and possibly cervical cancer.

    It definitely seems like a no-brainer to me. I think the thing that people are freaking out about is the whole sex angle. Maybe if they had just said "it's a shot that will protect you against cervical and other types of cancer", people would feel differently about it? But, for some reason, you throw sex into the mix and everyone is running around wringing their hands and worrying that having their kids vaccinated = giving them permission to immediately start engaging in drunken orgies every weekend.
    Thanks! I really was wondering about that. Because come on, it's not "just kids" who might be in the position of potentially becoming sexually active (re-active)!!!

    And obviously that was my concern, if I ever would get into a new relationship. But you make a really good point that the emphasis on sex is just misguided. As has already been eluded to in this thread, you can also get HPV from kissing. And oral cancers are not fun, either. So in my mind, it is a real no-brainer to go ahead and get the vaccine.

    In fact... God forbid that even a woman in a monogamous long-term relationship were to be raped, if she hasn't been vaccinated she is vulnerable. And though it wasn't an issue in my case (I don't think!!), if your husband has a tendency to "wander", you are at risk. So in many ways I'm surprised they don't just recommend it to be given to everyone, period.

    Better safe than sorry. (Actually a friend of a friend is currently dying from cervical cancer due to a philandering ex-husband. It's very sad.....)


    1 members found this post helpful.

  17. #97
    Join Date
    Dec. 18, 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    4,654

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle View Post
    And, no, people are not being "casual" about pre-teen sex--they are REALISTIC about it. It's this whole, "It wouldn't happen to MY family or MY children!!" additude that puts kids at risk. Heck, I knew a very nice, close-knit, religious (NOT that that fact automatically makes them good people, just throwing it out there for people who feel that being religious means their kids will not have sex) family whose 14-year-old son was smoking pot and drinking, and their daughter started having sex at 13. These things can happen to ANY family, no matter how close you are with your kids or how much you try to shelter them.
    My point was *what else* are parents doing to keep their pre-teens from engaging in sexual behaviors other than getting the HPV vaccine? What about all the other diseases they can get? Not to mention getting pregnant...not to mention these young girls' self-esteem? One more reason I am glad that middle school is not on our agenda. Obviously I can't be with my kids 100% of the time and physically restrain them from having sex, but I can try to ensure that they are not pressured into sex at such an early age, (although, to be honest, my girls ARE pretty much supervised most of the time...)



  18. #98
    Join Date
    Feb. 5, 2010
    Posts
    2,476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by S1969 View Post
    My point was *what else* are parents doing to keep their pre-teens from engaging in sexual behaviors other than getting the HPV vaccine? What about all the other diseases they can get? Not to mention getting pregnant...not to mention these young girls' self-esteem? One more reason I am glad that middle school is not on our agenda. Obviously I can't be with my kids 100% of the time and physically restrain them from having sex, but I can try to ensure that they are not pressured into sex at such an early age, (although, to be honest, my girls ARE pretty much supervised most of the time...)
    That's a whole other thread. This thread is about the HPV vaccine.

    And, from my experience, it's the ones that are sheltered who want to rebel. So, IMO the kids who are the most "prtected" in their parents' eyes really do need the HPV vaccine (but will sadly probably not get it).

    At some point, kids have to face the real world. They can't be protected and coccooned forever.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  19. #99
    Join Date
    Apr. 6, 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,830

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by naters View Post
    At the advice of my mother (who is typically very conservative about people going nuts on vaccines) I tried to get the HPV vaccine at 25 from my OBGYN but they wouldn't give it to me because I was "too old".
    Yeah - why is that? I am older than 25, but if I've never had HPV why can't I be vaccinated for it?

    And I am still pissed that there was no chicken pox vaccine when I was a kid. I had to miss Girl Scout camp that year AND I have 2 scars on my face!!



  20. #100
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    Packing my bags
    Posts
    32,662

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by S1969 View Post
    My point was *what else* are parents doing to keep their pre-teens from engaging in sexual behaviors other than getting the HPV vaccine? What about all the other diseases they can get? Not to mention getting pregnant...not to mention these young girls' self-esteem? One more reason I am glad that middle school is not on our agenda. Obviously I can't be with my kids 100% of the time and physically restrain them from having sex, but I can try to ensure that they are not pressured into sex at such an early age, (although, to be honest, my girls ARE pretty much supervised most of the time...)
    lady....you are in denial.

    you are over estimating the innocence of your little girls....as if they only learn about sex from their peers in school.....


    1 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 123
    Last Post: Aug. 23, 2014, 05:34 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: Oct. 10, 2012, 12:30 PM
  3. Which WNV vaccine to use?
    By Lori T in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Sep. 19, 2012, 09:07 AM
  4. 10% off vaccine 5 way
    By pony grandma in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jan. 14, 2011, 10:03 PM
  5. Spinoff: Kids driving with kids
    By heatherny2 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Nov. 26, 2010, 12:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •