The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Default HPV vaccine for kids

For the past two years my peditrician has been asking us to get the vaccine for my son, he is now 12. Now that my daughter is 10 they are asking for her too. Has anyone had their kids vaccinated? I am familiar with HPV, I know what it can do and its link to cervical cancer. However, when I research the vaccine i hear just as much good as bad, so i was wondering if anyone here had any exxperience with it. Thank you for any help you can offer.

it prevents cancer, and is very safe. Why would you even hesitate to give it? IT PREVENTS CANCER.

15 members found this post helpful.

Here's my take on the HPV vaccine as based on my experience with HPV. You can take it or leave it, but I think it's important, FWIW.

I was diagnosed with HPV a couple of years ago. I had had only one other sexual partner besides the man who is now my DH. I have three procedures to try to remove the pre-cancerous cells, including one where they may as well hooked my cervix up to my electric fence. They were, to say the least, horrible. Finally my doctor was satisfied that all of the cells had been removed, but that wasn't until my southern hemisphere had been poked, prodded, invaded, and put on display within an inch of it's life. It was the most horrible thing I have ever been through. And as a bonus, because I was BC at the time, I had to vaginally insert a hormone cream to aid in the preparation for one of the procedures. Yeah, because that spells romance when your SO is feeling frisky
    It was horrible. I don't know what was worse - the procedures themselves or knowing that I had pre-cancerous cells that were all set to cause cervical cancer. I wouldn't wish what I went through on anyone, especially since I was subject to infections and reactions.

Remember - more and more research is finding out that HPV is not necessarily a sexually transmitted disease. Woman are able to pick it up other ways as well. And the lovely part of the whole thing is that men can be carriers and never know it and never exhibit a single symptom. Lovely isn't it? They have all the fun...

So yeah - get your kid vaccinated. HPV and cervical cancer are just NOT something to mess with. And ounce of prevention is worth years of getting way to intimate with your gynocologist!!!
    Come to the darkside...we have cookies.

14 members found this post helpful.

My daughter has had 2 of the 3 required.

1 members found this post helpful.

Get the shots. Some HPV strains cause female cancers, and there is some evidence that in males that the melanomas that grow in non-sun exposed places are HPV related, and that will kill you too. HPV can be transmitted without symptoms, and many carriers don't know they have it, so they can transmit it accidentally, and the next person won't know either. It is a silent killer, and you shouldn't find out you have stage 4 cancer needlessly.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

3 members found this post helpful.

I don't have much advice to add. I don't have kids so haven't had to think about it. I have been diagnosed with HPV and so far have had no problems, but I know that the risk is elevated and get regular exams. With the statistics showing the number of women that have it regardless of number of partners, it seems like a good idea to get kids vaccinated. I would opt for a daughter having the vaccine, but I didn't realize they were advocating boys get them too.

And I don't want to sidetrack the thread too much, but fargonfarm, where have seen research that HPV might not be sexually transmitted? Not that I doubt you, I am just curious to read more about that.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyGoose View Post
    I don't have much advice to add. I don't have kids so haven't had to think about it. I have been diagnosed with HPV and so far have had no problems, but I know that the risk is elevated and get regular exams. With the statistics showing the number of women that have it regardless of number of partners, it seems like a good idea to get kids vaccinated. I would opt for a daughter having the vaccine, but I didn't realize they were advocating boys get them too.

And I don't want to sidetrack the thread too much, but fargonfarm, where have seen research that HPV might not be sexually transmitted? Not that I doubt you, I am just curious to read more about that.
    It was something my doc said, as well as her resident students. I didn't pursue with any questions since they were indisposed...with me!
    Come to the darkside...we have cookies.

I have three daughters and have had all of them vaccinated.

Interesting - I chose not to have our daughter vaccinated.
    I'm pretty messed up fertility wise, and have had many miscarriages. I'd feel better knowing the results/effects on the second generation post vaccination.

2 members found this post helpful.

how it could possibly affect the second generation? it's just a vaccine- it boosts your immune system.

being treated for HPV lesions on the cervix can cause infertility and miscarriages.

16 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    how it could possibly affect the second generation? it's just a vaccine- it boosts your immune system.

being treated for HPV lesions on the cervix can cause infertility and miscarriages.
    I think there is good reason to question the safety of vaccines in general - vaccine related autism has been studied for some time now and has been ruled as a cause in some cases:

http://www.nyrnaturalnews.com/chemic...rigger-autism/

I think that in general, vaccines ARE safe and ARE worth having because most of them do protect the population more than the risk of the disease. However, I am also happy to wait until I feel that my daughters are actually *at risk* before automatically vaccinating them for HPV based on national sexual activity data suggesting that 12 the right time for the vaccine.

I am not against the idea of this vaccine, despite the fact that it has a high incident of fainting after vaccination, which is a little disconcerting to me (why do so many people faint?) I just am not rushing my girls out to get it yet.

HPV causes more than just cervical cancer: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/HPV

Virtually all cervical cancers are caused by HPV infections, with just two HPV types, 16 and 18, responsible for about 70 percent of all cases. HPV also causes anal cancer, with about 85 percent of all cases caused by HPV-16. HPV types 16 and 18 have also been found to cause close to half of vaginal, vulvar, and penile cancers.

Most recently, HPV infections have been found to cause cancer of the oropharynx, which is the middle part of the throat including the soft palate, the base of the tongue, and the tonsils. In the United States, more than half of the cancers diagnosed in the oropharynx are linked to HPV-16.

The incidence of HPV-associated oropharyngeal cancer has increased during the past 20 years, especially among men. It has been estimated that, by 2020, HPV will cause more oropharyngeal cancers than cervical cancers in the United States
    I survived Stage II Anal cancer. You can search COTH for my thread on the hell I went through. I cannot fathom why any parent would risk their child's life by avoiding the vaccine.
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

13 members found this post helpful.

I gave permission without a second thought. My daughters risk of harm from HPV is far greater than any potential harm from vaccine. The only side effect she experienced was being a little tender at injection site for a couple of hours.

In Ontario Public Health provides vaccine at no cost, and administers during school hours. Yes, a couple of little girls in her class felt lightheaded. In hearing the mass hysteria of a group of then 12 year old young ladies standing in line, watching others get the shot and knowing the will soon be next. It is not surprising that some faint! My daughter told me that some girls were crying on the way to the gym. I would describe that tweenagers with mass hysteria, not ill effects of vaccine.

11 members found this post helpful.

No kids here but I do know several co-workers and friends who have gotten the vaccines and did not have a problem with it.

1 members found this post helpful.

Both of my SDs have had it.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I understand fargonefarm! I will do some googling at some point. I need to schedule to see my Dr. in the next month or so. I can ask her too.

Quote Originally Posted by S1969 View Post
    I think there is good reason to question the safety of vaccines in general - vaccine related autism has been studied for some time now and has been ruled as a cause in some cases:

http://www.nyrnaturalnews.com/chemic...rigger-autism/
    The autism-vaccine link had been debunked for a while. The idea of a link was based on a study that was hugely, terribly flawed.

CDC information on autism/vaccine:

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/con...ism/index.html
    Forward momentum!

22 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassAction View Post
    The autism-vaccine link had been debunked for a while. The idea of a link was based on a study that was hugely, terribly flawed.
    And yet, awards have been made.

I'm not saying that vaccines cause autism, I'm saying it has been studied for quite some time, and there is good reason to study autism since the cases have increased at an alarming rate.

I know several parents who have had their kids have extreme adverse reactions to vaccines (partial paralysis, for example) and therefore are anti-vaccine. I am not one of those parents, but I am also not rushing out the door to be first in line for vaccines that aren't necessary (yet).

Quote Originally Posted by S1969 View Post
    and there is good reason to study autism since the cases have increased at an alarming rate.
    And that might be because it is now being labelled more.

In today's society it is considered better to label your child with something like autism. Back in the day people did not want titles.

12 members found this post helpful.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

An Italian court has ruled there is a link between the MMR vaccine and autism.
    ...based on one child.

What's that Deltawave used to have in her sig line? "The plural of anecdote is not data"?

Both findings would appear to support the controversial findings of Dr Andrew Wakefield who, in 1998 published an article in the Lancet suggesting a link between the vaccine and autism. Official reaction to the paper was of such force and such outrage that the Lancet withdrew the paper on the grounds that it was scientifically unsound.
    The Lancet withdrew the paper because the data within had been falsified. The "controversial findings" were controversial because they didn't exist unless lied about.

I've had the HPV vaccine.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

11 members found this post helpful.