The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Side Bangs... help!

I finally had time to go get a haircut (yay for Mr. Minion being on vaca!) and I asked the lady to just trim the dead stuff off my layers...instead, she gave me side bangs.

I have no clue how to do things with them... they are super short so won't tuck behind my ears, won't stay in bobby pins, and I feel like I'm constantly shoving them out of my eyes. The cut is actually super cute when I style my hair, but I can't figure out what to do with the stupid bangs the other 98% of the time that I'm not all done up.

Hair gurus... help?
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

You are going to be constantly shoving them out of your eyes. Welcome to the world of side-bangs.

I just trimmed mine this morning, and they're driving me a little bit insane.

Make sure you throw some product in them in the mornings. That'll help keep them out of your face. Otherwise, slap on a headband. Eventually they'll grow out enough to be "tuckable" (but that's also your cue that they're too long and need to be trimmed).
    People call themselves animal lovers, then let their dogs chase the squirrels. You're scaring the shit out of the squirrels, you schmuck!

1 members found this post helpful.

1 members found this post helpful.

Pictures for sure. Bobby pins wont hold them? That sounds WAY short... try a paste. Softer than hair spray, but makes them sticky so you can shove and they'll stay put.

Bobby pins and headbands! You will forever be losing the bobby pins, but at least they're really cheap, lol. I had side bangs for a while, and definitely had the "freshly trimmed" problem, haha. I cut mine myself, so I could adjust how short I wanted them.
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

They aren't too short, they just slip out or the bobby pins fall to the side since they are heavier than the hair. My hair is super fine. What kind of product do y'all recommend?

This is the best pic of them that I seem to have currently.
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"

If you want to blend them in, then use gel and blend them in until they grow out. I like the Garnier Fructis Style Extra Strong, Pure Clean Styling Gel-it works well, and washes out very easily.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    If you want to blend them in, then use gel and blend them in until they grow out. I like the Garnier Fructis Style Extra Strong, Pure Clean Styling Gel-it works well, and washes out very easily.
    I'm a HUGE fan of the Garnier Fructis products. When my bangs are being obnoxious, I use the GF aerosol hairspray and spray the heck out of them. That'll teach 'em!
    People call themselves animal lovers, then let their dogs chase the squirrels. You're scaring the shit out of the squirrels, you schmuck!

but if her hair is super fine and thin, which it is, she has to be careful of what products she uses. I also have super fine, thin hair and I cant use a lot of products because they get weighted down and make my hair greasy.

I say either wait a bit and you can tuck them or go shorter. OR get those super cute snaps or some tiny butterfly clips. You and the kiddo can share!!

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    but if her hair is super fine and thin, which it is, she has to be careful of what products she uses. I also have super fine, thin hair and I cant use a lot of products because they get weighted down and make my hair greasy.

I say either wait a bit and you can tuck them or go shorter. OR get those super cute snaps or some tiny butterfly clips. You and the kiddo can share!!
    That's why I basically stick with hairspray. I have a lot of hair, but it's really fine and I get the weighed down greasiness if I'm not careful, too.

I admit it, I have no idea what side bangs were until this thread.

4 members found this post helpful.

Super cute. I have fine thin hair too and totally feel your pain. Have you tried robbing some of kiddos hair clips? My dd has a few that work really well in mine

Try different bobby pins certain styles work better with fine hair. Also, there are those metal snap clip things if you know at all what I'm referring too lol. Another option is to twist them back and pin them which is a cute way to go about it. Other then that a little product and wear them to the side.

Sebastian hairspray from Ulta, I swear by it
    send some of their smart literate deer who can read road signs up here since ours are just run of the mill dumb ones who get splatted all over creation because they won't stay in the woods

This is the greatest stuff ever for those long bangs that won't tuck and want to fall in your eyes.

http://www.makeupalley.com/product/s...yling_Products

It's a little pricey, but honestly a container lasts me about 5 years (well, it did until hubby started using it to "fauxhawk" his very thick hair). It's sticky/tacky, not super greasy like a pomade. Just use a tiny bit on the front edge and very ends of the bangs, and they will stick wherever you put them. I've had side-swept bangs for the better part of a decade, the stuff rocks.

I have fine hair and side bangs. Let me tell you the best styling secret ever. Take a straight iron, gather all the bangs in a section or two, iron from the root up toward the back of your head. Like the direction you would use to brush back a ponytail. Perfectly styled each time. I would have never, ever believed this trick, but it works like a charm.

As for keeping them out of your eyes...I use a wax or putty. Just run my fingers over the top so I have a tiny amount on them and then start at the bottom and work up brushing them back with my fingers. (Kinda in the way you would hand pick a horse tail.) With fine hair you must be careful but if you learn not to use too much you are good to go. And never, ever get that stuff on the root. You can get close but never ON it.
    Hope Blooming- Life with Chronic Pancreatitis

My blog: Life with Pancreatitis

Thanks!

I have lots of fun product to try now! My hair does get really heavy/greasy really quickly, which isn't a huge deal, since I wash it everyday, but it is kind of a gross feeling. If I can just get them to stay back in bobby pins while I'm working/riding/running then I'll be happy! Headbands are awesome, but my head is freakishly weird shaped. Grown up bands are too big (even the elastic) and kiddo ones are too small... It's like Goldilocks!

I'm going to try that SFrost! If it doesn't work... well they dry pretty quickly!

I still am not sure what side bangs are.

????
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post

????
    Look at the photo the OP posted. It is a fancy term for those long straight chunks people have (that would be normal bangs if they were shorter). The rest of the hair is longer.

In the old days we would all assume it was someone who was trying to grow out their bangs and was going thru that awkward stage where they had not made it full length yet but now were way too long to be bangs anymore.
    Now that look is clearly a style and has a name.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post

????
    Side bangs: Not a blunt cut, usually an angled cut, and are usually brushed off....to the side. Works best with a side part. If they look like bangs that are growing out, that means they're too long.