The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Eventer13 View Post
    Gottagrey--I had the same train of thought with little Sibyl, hoping they would stick her on a pony to go hunting and then thinking they'd probably end up killing her off in a riding accident. I think the hunting scene from season 1 is still my favorite.
    Absolutely. I will watch that one over and over for the gorgeous countryside and horses. (in fact, the whole "Mr. Pamuk" story arc is one of my favorites, and I like how Lady Mary's indiscretion was revealed slowly over the course of many episodes, with her father and Matthew saved for last.)

Another favorite horse scene: William's father and Daisy in a cart, with William's father driving. And it looked to me like the actor didn't have a double to drive the cart.

And Lady Sibyl and Gwen (the maid turned secretary) having their cart horse go lame, and slipping in the mud while trying to get him going...
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Quote Originally Posted by nightsong View Post
    According to the hour-long 'preview' before this season aired, the Matthew crawley character's actor refused to sign for another season and, since the character would never willingly leave, HAD to be killed off. This from the series' creator/writer Fellowes.

Also LOVED the scottish lively one. And the hunting 'ponies' that carried the 'bag' may have LOOKED like 'ponies,' but were horse height next to the men leading them.

Later, i thought that, ig the actor reconsidered, given how INSANELY popular the series has become, they never actually SAID he was dead, just showed him ghastlyly BLEEDING...
    Oh, he was dead, all right. Blood ain't that color from anything LIVE . . .

I'm sorry, but both deaths this season were obvious far in advance. Matthew Crawley and Lady Sybil were written to die -- you simply cannot have such sweet, universally beloved characters in a costume drama. It's the Melanie Wilkes syndrome.

All I can say is, if Julian Fellowes considers you to be nice, RUN!!!!!!!
    They're not miniatures, they're concentrates.

Born tongue-in-cheek and foot-in-mouth

What about O'Brien for the pony- a bit of cheek, but loyal in the end.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by nightsong View Post
    According to the hour-long 'preview' before this season aired, the Matthew crawley character's actor refused to sign for another season and, since the character would never willingly leave, HAD to be killed off. This from the series' creator/writer Fellowes.
    Later, i thought that, ig the actor reconsidered, given how INSANELY popular the series has become, they never actually SAID he was dead, just showed him ghastlyly BLEEDING...
    I also read that they had hoped the actor would come back next season for at least an episode or two so they could write him out a bit more..well, less abruptly. But he wouldn't, so they ended up writing his demise at the last minute. As for whether he MIGHT still be alive - I think the open, staring eyes sort of indicate otherwise.......

He looked very dead. If this were "Dallas" he could come back in Season 5.

Quote Originally Posted by trafalgar View Post
    He looked very dead. If this were "Dallas" he could come back in Season 5.
    LOL *It was all just a dream!!!*

Well pony names might also include:

Downton
    Abbey
    Violet (Dowager's real name)
    Pamuk
    Daisy
    "Imma snap youuuu! - with a shout out to Wildlifer

Quote Originally Posted by charismaryllis View Post
    I thought the scottish pair looked quite spiffy; found myself paying most attention to the harness rather than the characters.
    Anyone know what the breeding on those high-steppers might be? They were gorgeous!

As an aside, didn't the former COTH poster "Thomas" get hired a lot to do the horse and carriage shots in these period pieces? I seem to recall some threads about that in the past...
    "Imma snap youuuu! - with a shout out to Wildlifer

Mrs. Patmore, is, without a doubt, the best name that's been for a naughty little pony that has been suggested!

Also, just in case any of you fellow crazed Downton fans want to know, there's a discussion thread over in the Off Topic forum!