The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Downton Fans....the BEST Pony Name

For any of you ...if there are any after last night....try this on for size , "MRS. PATMORE"

4 members found this post helpful.

Last night did suck. Julian could have been a little more imaginative in the ending department.

1 members found this post helpful.

I almost fell off my chair, yelling "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

(It's only a movie. It's only a movie. BUMMMMERRRRRRRR!!!!)

That said, Lady Mary now holds all the Downton cards, and is free to be the Red Queen Unchained.

Popcorn-hoarding for Season 4!

Another good pony name: "Shrimpy!"

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Any of the characters have great Pony Potential, IMHO
    Imagine:
    "On Course, Mr Carson. on Deck The Dowager, in the Hole, Lady Edith"

I am PO'd at the series finale, even with all the cliffhangers for Season 4.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I knew death was looming for someone, and I was suspicious, but that entire closing scene from the second he got in the car I was like "noooooooooooooooooooooo."

Mrs. Patmore, however, would be a phenomenal pony name. I also like Shrimpy.

I like the idea of reimagining the cast as equine... Carson a shaggy Shire, Lord Grantham an aging TB, Lady Mary a very elegant black ladies' hunter, Lady Sybil an Arabian, Lady Grantham a Tennessee Walker, Lady Edith a plain chestnut grade horse, Bates a cart horse (formerly lame but oddly sound out of nowhere)...
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    I almost fell off my chair, yelling "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    but that entire closing scene from the second he got in the car I was like "noooooooooooooooooooooo."
    LOL....as soon as I saw him driving down the road all happy and chippy I knew: dead man walking.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    Another good pony name: "Shrimpy!"
    Too right!

to keep it HR what about that matched pair in Scotland... and that sappy new family scene to say it was saccharine is an understatement - that pair had to be one of the dullest couples to grace the screen - and then once camera got him on the road barreling along looking stoned out of his mind I knew an accident was coming - not to mention all the foreshadowing w/ black storm clouds.. and poor Edith now looks like she's suffering from constipation anytime she speaks... and yet I still love it! can't wait for season 4 and maybe Mary will be up and riding Diamond again or by that time maybe little Sybil and baby Master Crawley will be riding ponies to the hounds... oh geez they better not come up with any Bonnie Blue Butler scenarios in Season 4

I thought the scottish pair looked quite spiffy; found myself paying most attention to the harness rather than the characters.

2 members found this post helpful.

They were out stalking the stag and I'm going "PONNNNNNIIIIIIIEEES." Yeah, yeah, dialogue and stalking and scenery and stuff but PONNNNNNNNNIEEEEES. (My dream animal is a fat fuzzy Thelwell pony.)

Oh, yes, I can see Shrimpy the Pony--how about Cheerful Charlie (remember Carson's deep dirty dark secret of his past?)

Gottagrey--I had the same train of thought with little Sibyl, hoping they would stick her on a pony to go hunting and then thinking they'd probably end up killing her off in a riding accident. I think the hunting scene from season 1 is still my favorite.

And yes, the Scottish pair was NICE, just wish they had actually put them together as a pair at some point during the episode instead of driving them separate.

Well, at least we got to see NICE horses and ponies last night!

That Scottish castle's architecture looked so weird to me...nice gun display in the foyer tho.

Re: May and Matthew, I am with you on the "can you get any sappier?" thought, and the Noooooooooooo! as he was driving his car.

I so want them to include at least one more foxhunt in the series? Pretty please? Or at least, more carriage horses? It's not too late...lol
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

So was it my imagination or was it actually the same pair of ponies out stalking? I know they were supposed to be different, but they sure looked the same to me....
    Last edited by charismaryllis; Feb. 18, 2013 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    I knew death was looming for someone, and I was suspicious, but that entire closing scene from the second he got in the car I was like "noooooooooooooooooooooo."

Mrs. Patmore, however, would be a phenomenal pony name. I also like Shrimpy.

I like the idea of reimagining the cast as equine... Carson a shaggy Shire, Lord Grantham an aging TB, Lady Mary a very elegant black ladies' hunter, (opinionated know to be given to flightiness..Arab)Lady Sybil an arabian ( young headstrong elegant Gaited horse) Lady Grantham a Tennessee Walker, Lady Edith a plain chestnut grade horse,(no way she's intelligent steady and understated.Standardbred) Bates a cart horse (formerly lame but oddly sound out of nowhere)..(. Nope a former Timber horse classic noble bearing good minded a stayer)
    See changes

Alright- ya'll help me pick out a show name for my daughter's 12.2h mostly white with a wee bit of grey pinto pony from the show. Shrimpy just won't fit and he's a gelding.. or else he's be called Mrs. Patmore.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

Quote Originally Posted by Catersun View Post
    Alright- ya'll help me pick out a show name for my daughter's 12.2h mostly white with a wee bit of grey pinto pony from the show. Shrimpy just won't fit and he's a gelding.. or else he's be called Mrs. Patmore.
    Master Crawley, of course!
    Dreaming in Color

Bates would work too, but for a few people who might think of Norman. . .

For that sneaky, scheming pony, who despite these character flaws is also remarkably good at his job: Thomas Barrow.
    Last edited by Mara; Feb. 20, 2013 at 05:10 PM.

I confess I've been trolling petfinder all day looking for a fluffy something to name Mrs. Patmore.

According to the hour-long 'preview' before this season aired, the Matthew crawley character's actor refused to sign for another season and, since the character would never willingly leave, HAD to be killed off. This from the series' creator/writer Fellowes.

Also LOVED the scottish lively one. And the hunting 'ponies' that carried the 'bag' may have LOOKED like 'ponies,' but were horse height next to the men leading them.

Later, i thought that, ig the actor reconsidered, given how INSANELY popular the series has become, they never actually SAID he was dead, just showed him ghastlyly BLEEDING...
    Last edited by nightsong; Feb. 19, 2013 at 02:32 AM. Reason: add

Nightsong: "Matthew Crawley" is dead. Dan Steven's the actor didn't want to be in Season 4, so Julian Fellows wrote the only possible exit to fit the series.

Now, back to naming the pony

Lord Grantham
    Free Bates! (you'll do a lot of explaining but I love the expression)
    Carson
    The Chauffeur (barn name Bransome)
    Four Footman
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Quote Originally Posted by charismaryllis View Post
    I thought the scottish pair looked quite spiffy; found myself paying most attention to the harness rather than the characters.
    Same here. I would love to have access to the pair, the harness, the carts, everything.

And the stag-packing ponies were wicked cute.

OK, I'll admit it, now I just want to go pony-trekking in the Scottish Highlands!
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine