The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Congressman Robert Hurt, Virginia is a member of the House's Committee on Financial Services which has oversight on banks.

He is not on the sub-committee of Financial Institutions and Consumer Credit but could pass the complaint on to it

https://hurt.house.gov/index.cfm/email-me

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    Congressman Robert Hurt, Virginia is a member of the House's Committee on Financial Services which has oversight on banks.

He is not on the sub-committee of Financial Institutions and Consumer Credit but could pass the complaint on to it

https://hurt.house.gov/index.cfm/email-me
    I don't know what a 5/3 loan is, so I can't help you there. But I don't believe BR is in Rep Hurt's district; she's closer to DC, so probably Moran, Connolly or Wolf. BR would do well to contact her Senator, Mark Warner, who is on the Banking committee.

so sorry you are going through this

5/3rd is a terrible terrible bank, after seeing them mess up their own mortgages and being unable to communicate within themselves

I will never ever use them for anything

Have you looked at the 5/3 Facebook page? I know happy people don't share as much, but they have *no* happy customers on FB!

Hey BRoo your PM box is full. We're neighbors. I offer grocery shopping/errand running til you get your wheels back.

I believe you have my cell #.

4 members found this post helpful.

So here's my update...

First, thanks for all of the links and contacts and Bicoastal, sorry about my inbox, I'll try to clean that up and get back to you. Those contacts are going to be very helpful. From what I can tell, the bank has not followed the law on a number of counts. Unfortunately, that doesn't help me TODAY but it will.

Next, the bank changes their story every time I talk to them. The national repo company and the local one are actually being most helpful. Gotta love VA folks.

I called my until recently estranged father and he is going to go do the Western Union for us and I'm transferring the money to him. But basically he's giving us a 2 day loan. Very nice of him. He's even taking time out of his beer making afternoon to do this. Since I don't have wheels and a way to do it myself, him helping out even knowing he won't see the money for 2 days is most kind.

Hopefully, the bank will get on the stick and send out the redemption hold. There's already been a call today to transport the car to auction on the 21st. Tow lady called me. But she can stall that for 48 hours legally and plans to. (nice VA peeps!)

It's going to get sorted out and I'm going to come out on top. With all of my paperwork, proof and such, they are going to wish they'd not screwed with Roo.

All of the legal stuff I've reviewed (that you all have posted plus the docs in my hot little hands) lead me to believe that we actually have a good case.

People should know better than to screw with horse women. Red ribbon in my ponytail. I kick.

Thank you all for your help. I'm not a happy camper but I have more options today than when I posted thanks to many of you. Thank you.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

5 members found this post helpful.

Don't screw with Roo!

Interesting to hear/read about bad experiences with 5/3. I had never looked at their FB page before, but it is shocking. I am definitely reconsidering my banking options in light of this thread.
    People call themselves animal lovers, then let their dogs chase the squirrels. You're scaring the shit out of the squirrels, you schmuck!

Ya know, Ybiaw, the thing is, if everything is totally up to par and no one makes mistakes, most banks or financing companies are going to be fine as it's all automated. I've had some situations with banks in the past that even through no fault of my own ended up in a mess. But largely, the problems come into play when you as the customer HAVE made a mistake or there's been an error you try to correct.

The problem comes into play (IMHO) when these institutions do not have the manpower available to properly look in to discrepancies and they let the computers do all the work and/or don't have people at the other end of the line who have the authority to make decisions and affect change.

In this case...the bank still insists that they didn't even put out for a repo. Yet I saw the paperwork myself! In this case, the bank says they don't even know where the car is, yet I was able to find it and visit it and get my stuff out! In this case, the bank insists that they cannot review the documents I have pulled together. In this case, the bank can't seem to get our address correct even though both my husband and I have tried to correct the information no less than 3 times per day for the last three days! They STILL don't have our correct address in one of their systems! After a minimum of 6 calls per day for 3 days of correcting it! They say I can't correct the info since it's not my name on the loan but my husband has been calling and correcting each time and it's STILL WRONG.

I mentioned in another post that I've been getting checks as a result of class action suits with regards to my old mortgage. I have been getting, on average, 1200 per year for the last couple of years for that. Some of these banks have gotten too big for their britches and until people fight back and hard, no change will happen.

Ultimately, I can see how in THIS situation with the car, there is a problem. Maybe I screwed up (though I still have all the conf numbers) but they screwed up too. They just don't have anyone in a position to say "oh, well, this is mucked up, let's fix it!"

That is unfortunate. Because right now, they're getting a bad name aren't they?

We've had this car and no probs for 3 years. Now we have a problem and they won't work with us. And they've taken shortcuts and broken the law.

It's still probably cheaper for them to do it this way than to offer good support. I intend to make it a little more painful.

Having to borrow money from a friend, car from an almost stranger (God love her) and beg my father to help us out? I'm mortified. This is mortifying. If I didn't know that we were in the right, I'd not have posted here because I'd be so embarrassed. But I'm NOT going to be embarrassed. THEY screwed up.

I've got the proof and they are going to ROO the day.

3 members found this post helpful.

Well, I strongly suggest that when you get the car back, you refinance with a bank that doesn't have its head up it's a**.

I have been with DCU for 20 years now and while I have complaints about them (small ones) on the whole they are great. Navy Federal is even better, but anyone can join DCU by joining any of a few different national organizations.

Quote Originally Posted by soloudinhere View Post
    Well, I strongly suggest that when you get the car back, you refinance with a bank that doesn't have its head up it's a**.
    I second this. If you can find a bank that fits that description.

Seriously. What bank CAN you trust nowadays?!
    People call themselves animal lovers, then let their dogs chase the squirrels. You're scaring the shit out of the squirrels, you schmuck!

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    3rd'd. Third-ed? Ditto.

Check out the area credit unions. Yes, it sucks to not have local branches available when you're travelling, but the customer service is so much better that it really mitigates the inconvenience.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    I love my credit union. I never visit a bank branch anyway. If I need cash I use a Wawa ATM as they are free or a use another credit union ATM as that is normally fee.
    I was travelling on business when my new truck came in and the bank needed my signature on the paperwork. They had a branch in the town I was visiting but the hours would not work for me. The girl from the credit union was going to bring the paperwork to her gym and I could meet her there on her time to sign it. They eventually just got permission to fax me the paperwork, I would sign it, fax it back and when I got back to the state I would resign the paperwork with a wet signature.
    They bent over backwards to make it work.
    Their car loan prices are lower than the dealer can give me, even from the same credit union.
    There were fraudulent charges run against my debit card. There were 3 charges totalling less than $10. They caught the fraud, froze my card and got an replacement debit card to my husband that afternoon. There is a credit union branch in my husband's work building.
    I will never willingly go back to a bank. I will only use a credit union if at all possible. We have had personal loans and car loans through them, plus vacation funds, Christmas savings fund, savings and checking.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubyfree View Post
    3rd'd. Third-ed? Ditto.

Check out the area credit unions. Yes, it sucks to not have local branches available when you're travelling, but the customer service is so much better that it really mitigates the inconvenience.
    I have been to a DCU branch I think 6 times in 20 years.

Before the internet, I mailed checks in. Now, I use my phone. They have PC Deposit, bill pay, a good app, website is pretty good AND it shows you all kinds of info about your spending etc. I really do like them.

The only times I went in person, I needed a cashier's check to buy a car or a horse. They'll overnight you one, but I am not THAT far from a branch. It even has a service similar to paypal that lets me deposit funds directly to someone's checking account for $1.

The only time I've had an issue with them was when they decided to close my credit card account for no apparent reason. Some number of years later, they decided to reopen my account. That hurt my credit report since it was my oldest card, and boosted it when they reopened it. They did some restructuring a few years back that pissed off some customers, but my parents used them for 10+ years before I came along and they've been good.

Quote Originally Posted by ybiaw View Post
    USAA but it is only available to military, ex-military, and their children. Awesome bank, awesome insurance company. Been with them for over a decade and had zero issues that were not our fault. When we do on occasion mess something up, they are SO helpful getting it straightened out. Love that company!

History repeats itself. More drama.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Rurutiki View Post
    History repeats itself. More drama.
    I'm sorry, but I don't know where you're coming from. Given Malaysia, I guess this is Remy? Not sure what you're after, but this is pretty easy to show/prove. So I guess your suggestion of drama is a little lost.

But thanks.

On the phone w/ a student so can't spend a lot more time, but thank you for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by ybiaw View Post
    None of them, go with a credit union. I LOVE mine and will never, ever go back to a bank.
    "Be the change you want to see in the world."
    ~Mahatma Gandhi

Navy Fed is pretty good, not perfect, but pretty good. Since there is so much military in your family, you may be able to get in. They opened up to all branches.

Quote Originally Posted by red mares View Post
    Navy Fed is pretty good, not perfect, but pretty good. Since there is so much military in your family, you may be able to get in. They opened up to all branches.
    There are several different gov't CUs in the area, since your hubby is gov now, I'm sure you'd be eligible for at least one of them. I was blown away how helpful CCU was when I got my car loan; it was the nicest experience I've ever had with a bank. If I were you, I'd defintely either look into refinancing it through them, or paying it off and being done with the mess--if you've had the car 3 years, you must be close to paid!