The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default speaking of dinnner...

i'm a reluctant cook at best. but I do try, and tonight is one of those nights.
    I want to make stuffed peppers before the four red peppers get wilty and wonder if there are some variations you might suggest.
    I already have ground beef simmering with a big yellow onion and a pot of rice on another burner.

normally I add tomato paste, but wonder what else might work. dh likes stuffed peppers with a lot of gooey cheese, and I have mozzarella, ricotta and a few kinds of grating cheeses.
    will it miss a lot of flavor is I skip the tomato paste?
    is there another 'something' I should add? I haven't added any spices or herbs yet, and we have a large selection of both.

should I just skip it and use the paste and be done with it?

Suz, stuffed peppers are one of those items that everything but the kitchen sink can go in!

I mix in canned mushrooms, mozzarella cheese, garlic (powder) salt and pepper, a little bit of dried oregano and perhaps some dried basil. I have used canned corn in there too! Sometimes minced celery or cooked carrot bits!

I would keep a little of the paste in there for flavor and add lots more goodies! You really can't kill stuffed peppers! I also baste the outside of the peppers with olive oil before putting in oven for a nicer finish.

Be creative and have fun with it!
    Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!!

My mom used to make a Hungarian version of stuffed peppers with sour cream. It was tomato based but didn't have the cheeses. She would serve it with mashed potatoes. As a kid, it was one of the few things I'd eat (other than Lucky Charms and jello pudding).
    "I was walking through the woods, thinking about Christ. If He was a carpenter, I wondered what He charged for bookshelves."

Pretty much any spice or herb that's good with ground beef is good in stuffed peppers! Pizza, taco, chili, it's really difficult to go wrong as Brookes said.

Kim
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

I don't think I'd skip the tomato paste (I use tomato sauce). Like others have said, you have a lot of flexibility in what you put in stuffed peppers. I'll sometimes add spinach or carrots (chopped/shredded small).

My best trick for quick stuffed peppers is to not stuff them at all, but cut the peppers into bite-sized pieces and just cook the whole thing together in the pan. It's a big time saver. It's not as pretty, but tastes just the same.

Quote Originally Posted by suz View Post
    i'm a reluctant cook at best. but I do try, and tonight is one of those nights.
    I want to make stuffed peppers before the four red peppers get wilty and wonder if there are some variations you might suggest.
    I already have ground beef simmering with a big yellow onion and a pot of rice on another burner.

normally I add tomato paste, but wonder what else might work. dh likes stuffed peppers with a lot of gooey cheese, and I have mozzarella, ricotta and a few kinds of grating cheeses.
    will it miss a lot of flavor is I skip the tomato paste?
    is there another 'something' I should add? I haven't added any spices or herbs yet, and we have a large selection of both.

should I just skip it and use the paste and be done with it?
    You sound pretty much set! If you want more of a sticky consistency, I would mix in some of the ricotta and mozzarella, then top with just a bit of mozzarella and stick under the broiler to melt.

I do like adding tomato paste to things bc I feel like it gives some depth, but in no way is it necessary.

Man, I am getting hungry now! I haven't made stuffed peppers in forever. I think that will be on the menu for Friday

here's what I did. found a red chile paste in the freezer at the little store in town and added that and some shredded mild cheddar.
    it was delicious and dh is happy so I am happy.
    I will be experimenting again, red peppers are so inexpensive here and we love them. Thanks for your ideas, I will be trying them soon!

You know what is good for most any stuffing or swiss steak?
    Green olives, chunks also ok, with a bit of the brine they swim in thrown in for salty taste.

Green olives don't taste any like regular olives when cooked into stews, meatloaves, stuffed anything.
    They taste very good and a bit on the sweet side.
    They go great with anything tomato also.
    Don't forget plain V8 juice, that can be also used as a condiment to enhance flavors of other food and it cooks down, is not runny.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    You know what is good for most any stuffing or swiss steak?
    Green olives, chunks also ok, with a bit of the brine they swim in thrown in for salty taste.

Green olives don't taste any like regular olives when cooked into stews, meatloaves, stuffed anything.
    They taste very good and a bit on the sweet side.
    They go great with anything tomato also.
    Don't forget plain V8 juice, that can be also used as a condiment to enhance flavors of other food and it cooks down, is not runny.
    Yes, Bluey, but they're best on a skewer, in a nice little group of 3 or 4, marinating in ice cold vodka with a drop of vermouth.

Even better if you can get this guy to impale them for you
    http://www.threeolives.com/category/martini/

sorry for the hijack
    "I was walking through the woods, thinking about Christ. If He was a carpenter, I wondered what He charged for bookshelves."

Quote Originally Posted by MMorgan View Post
    Even better if you can get this guy to impale them for you
    http://www.threeolives.com/category/martini/

OH MY--is that a hot flash I feel coming on?