The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I always wear a helmet. My life has been saved by a helmet.

Yet, some of the best riders / trainers I know, often ride without one. Its not a choice I support, but it would no way deter me from a horse that was for sale.

I do not think lack of helmet = poor / holes in training.

2 members found this post helpful.

I'm a helmet Nazi, but a photo of a helmetless rider has nothing to do with the suitability or training of a horse, as far as I'm concerned. If you find out the rider smokes, will that kill the deal too? Runs red lights, speeds in cars?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

5 members found this post helpful.

It bugs me too....I don't know, I just can't focus on anything but their stupid hair and why they must think it is so important....

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm buying the horse, not the rider.

I don't care if people wear a helmet, or make their kids wear helmets, or don't, unless it's my horse/on my property. In a sales ad, all I'm thinking about is whether I like the horse pictured (and is that a RECENT picture, is that even the horse they're selling...so many other things to worry about than the seller's head.)

All you helmet nazis don't ever go trail riding. You'll see so many helmetless people and you'll be wound up so tightly that you'll poop diamonds if you eat coal

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by saje View Post
    Seriously? So someone who wears a helmet is automatically less shady than one who does, never mind how the horses look and perform?

That's just ASKING to be taken...
    No, it's just more likely that my money won't be finding them. First impressions are worth a lot, and you only get one chance to make one. Start out on the wrong foot and then it's that much easier to zero in on other things that seem wrong or out of place and get to nitpicking. A person who wears a helmet despite the fact that it's not considered "stylish" for a "true professional" is much more likely to get my attention and be taken more seriously because it lends me the impression that they have safety as a value and may be less likely to take shortcuts. Lack of a helmet does not convince me that any horse is safer than others because of it, and I've also seen shit happen that absolutely has nothing to do with anything the horse itself could or would have done...tack breaks, other hazards happen, etc. So I have no idea why people think showing a horse without a helmet makes them look more professional...to me, it makes them look less so. Their heads can break as easily as anyone else's.

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    All you helmet nazis don't ever go trail riding. You'll see so many helmetless people and you'll be wound up so tightly that you'll poop diamonds if you eat coal
    I *do* go trail riding...have done hundred mile rides and four-day rides. And I wear a helmet with a light-colored cover to make it not quite so hot. All those helmetless people are the ones who should be pooping coal, because far too many of them can't ride worth horse apples. Far too many are passengers and not pilots of horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...es-effect-soon Hopefully this is the first step towards putting an end to the upper level riders setting a bad example. As to the OP, I do not know so much about a sales video but I absolutely will not donate to a rescue that shows pictures of their horses being ridden helmetless.
    I thought I had read that somewhere else but am glad to see it again. I wonder if they will be checking them at some point as well? I am normally not a big fan of policing people but this is something I feel is long overdue.

I'm buying the horse, not the rider. Who gives a crap. I'm not one to mind other people's business.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

2 members found this post helpful.

I really don't think it's a matter of looking more professional, or showing the horse to be safer, or even taking shortcuts. I think some of you are reading WAY too much into it. I'm betting that those riders without helmets in sales pictures always ride that way, and don't give it a second thought.

They don't wear a helmet the way some of us don't wear gloves, or do chores in sneakers, or drive over the speed limit, or smoke, or drink... It's just part of the daily routine and the way they always do things. No hidden agenda, just habit, and not giving a FF what anyone else thinks.

and not giving a FF what anyone else thinks.
    Most of all that

They don't wear a helmet the way some of us don't wear gloves, or do chores in sneakers, or drive over the speed limit, or smoke, or drink... It's just part of the daily routine and the way they always do things. No hidden agenda, just habit, and not giving a FF what anyone else thinks.
    Exactly. Those that go all insane about how people who don't wear helmets aren't total idiots better not do ANYTHING in the rest of their lives that MIGHT be slightly unsafe. They better wear a helmet at all time on the ground with their horses, cause horses can kick and strike out and rear (or just accidentally conk you), they better not go one stitch over the speed limit or do any rolling stops. Wear a helmet when biking, rollerblading, skate boarding ect. They better not be overweight cause that affects your health, they better not smoke. People do things in life that are not totally safe. People choose what they want to do and what precautions they want to take. Even if you say 'oh well my taxes pay for the bills for the hospital when you wind up there' The incredibly small percentage of people that are riders, and the smaller percentage of those that wind up with head injuries is nothing compared to any car accidents caused by speeding, or distraction ect.
    You can believe that people wearing helmets aren't smart if you want but there is not need to be rude about it and try to jam your beliefs down other people's throats.

5 members found this post helpful.

I don't think anyone is trying to jam anything down your throat. I don't really care if you wear a helmet or not. My earlier posts merely said that I believe (and I DO really believe this) that people who wear helmets are exhibiting smarter behavior than people who don't. Doesn't have anything to do with other risk-taking behaviors -

If you saw that ad on a Facebook page, I think I know which one you were talking about. I was totally distracted when she started jumping.

Especially when LNT jump without helmets, I just get a sense that either they feel insecure about their riding abilities and must show that "I'm so good that I don't need a helmet," or they are totally arrogant because they really believe they won't ever fall off. I'm sure thats not the case, but that's just my thought process.

I'm not a helmet nazi, I'd actually prefer they allow top hats in dressage for the actual test, but seeing it in sales ads really does turn me off.

i think a lot of it has to do with how these people grew up - a lot of people that didn't grow up wearing helmets generally aren't suddenly going to start wearing one. And a lot of parents that rode growing up and their kids are now riding, their kids generally aren't going to want to wear a helmet, and parents may not feel it's totally necessary. This has just been my experience. Personally I will always wear one and require anyone riding here on my farm to wear one, for insurance purposes. But everyone else, that's up to them!!

Live and let live.

The information is out there for people about the safety risks involved in not wearing a helmet. If they're an adult and choose to go without one, that's their prerogative. So long as they're not breaking any rules, so be it.

FWIW, I wear my helmet all the time. The last time I went helmetless must have been eons ago at some dude ranch on a trail ride. However, what other adults choose to do in respect to their well being is none of my business.

I wish everyone wore helmets and quit smoking and didn't drink and drive and were kind to everyone. But people and their darn free will do what they want. On your own farm you can set the rules. Heck they don't even wear helmets when driving motorcycles in my state. We call them donor cycles. Foolish, sad, ignorant but true.
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

Very good! I was cryin' in seein' Pedro's shots! wether you do or don't wear a helmet is an indivuals choice-if I'd have had a helmet on in a previous situation I definately broke my neck(as told to me from my daughter who is a RN) So Ride On!!