The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Helmet Rant

If you are making a sale video or taking photos that will be used to advertise a horse for sale, PLEASE PLEASE wear a helmet! I cannot believe the number of sale videos I have seen lately that show horses not just being flatted but also jumped by riders with no helmet. Maybe I am just sensitive about this, but as a potential buyer if I see you have that little regard for your own personal safety, I am going to wonder what other training steps just weren't that important to you. And to say nothing of the example it sets for clients and juniors.

OK, Rant over.
    Me: In a long-winded explanation of who GM is and why he is Important to the Sport
    Mr EmJ: So what you're saying is GM is so Important he could get Chik-Fil-A on Sunday?

4 members found this post helpful.

Someone not wearing a helmet in a sales video would not suggest to me that they take short cuts with their horses training. It is less and less the norm today to see hunt seat riders going helmetless, IMO.

Last September a friend of mine, a trainer, was trail riding a horse with her husband, also a trainer. Her small horse took a misstep on a rocky path while walking, stumbled and she fell hitting her helmet-free head first. She is not quite 40 years old and has permanent damage from the concussion. Her husband is in charge of their young sons and all the house management now in addition to the horses in training.

Another friend not quite 60 years old fell off a horse a week ago and got a mild concussion, again, not wearing a helmet. So preventable and so sad. I ride with the nicest group of girlfriends but I'm the only hunt seat rider so I'm the only helmet except for sometimes if one of the girls is riding a young horse. It comes down to a personal comfort and risk level. I don't preach to my friends and they don't mock me so it works out but I've seen enough freak accidents at standstills and "just walking" on a horse to know bad things happen at slow speed.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by EmJ628 View Post
    If you are making a sale video or taking photos that will be used to advertise a horse for sale, PLEASE PLEASE wear a helmet! I cannot believe the number of sale videos I have seen lately that show horses not just being flatted but also jumped by riders with no helmet. Maybe I am just sensitive about this, but as a potential buyer if I see you have that little regard for your own personal safety, I am going to wonder what other training steps just weren't that important to you. And to say nothing of the example it sets for clients and juniors.

OK, Rant over.
    Wearing a helmet has absolutely nothing to do at all with the proper training of a horse. The fact that you try to connect the two diminishes your already weak argument/rant.

As far as setting an example for clients and juniors, that's not the seller's job or responsibility. Adult buyers are more than capable of making the decision to wear a helmet or not regardless of what others say or do. Juniors are the responsibility of their parents. It doesn't take a village.

Pass the horse by. Who cares? There are plenty of people who see things for what they are and will evaluate the horse on its own merits.

13 members found this post helpful.

One of the very best minded, good hearted, do anything you'd ever ask horses I've ever owned was shown to me by a half drunk 'cowboy' who hopped on him bareback as a thunderstorm was coming in. He loped him around the backyard, narrowly avoiding a clothesline, then dropped to a trot on the gravel drive and steered him via plow rein on a tack striped leadrope attached to a 2 dollar crappy halter.

You aren't buying the person, you are considering the horse.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. (Steven Wright)

Why do you care what other people do? Sounds a little schoolmarmish and paternalistic to me!

Similar experience to Katarine...

My "horse-buying voice of reason" buddy and I looked at each other, said "that horse is a saint!" and I handed over the cash.

I still have said horse some 14 years later.

6 members found this post helpful.

I won't tell people whether or not to wear a helmet, that's their own choice....except here on my farm, it's a rule - anyone getting on ANY horse at ANY time is required to wear a helmet. It's in my insurance, so that's the way it happens. Haven't yet had anyone have a problem with it, and there have been some falls where heads were doinked....and the helmet probably saved some damage.

3 members found this post helpful.

Wouldn't bother me to buy a horse where the sale video had a helmetless rider. I still flat without a helmet at barns that allow it.

It comes down to values. I think wearing a helmet is vitally important and would want to know that someone who is selling/training/representing a horse for sale shared my values about what is or is not important. Not a big deal - you just have totally no credibility with me if you don't wear a helmet when you ride. Therefore, I look at any horse you are representing with less objectivity. Lots of nice horses out there... If your brain isn't important to you - so be it...

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JanWeber View Post
    you just have totally no credibility with me if you don't wear a helmet when you ride.
    Mmmkay......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPgB-uT_5bo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ8d9ByD5L4

Feel free to pass on horses trained by Buck or Pedro. I'll snatch them up.

Didn't say they couldn't ride - just truly believe that anyone with any common sense should be smart enough to want to protect their brain. Matter of opinion - but there are people who don't believe in wearing seatbelts either.

or Carl Hester. or Stephen Peters. "No credibility" ...um, ok.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. (Steven Wright)

Didn't say they couldn't ride - just truly believe that anyone with any common sense should be smart enough to want to protect their brain. Matter of opinion - but there are people who don't believe in wearing seatbelts either.
    Funny that, those who think they know better than anyone else also don't get any credibility.

My trainers (both top level dressage riders) usually don't wear helmets. I can't imagine discounting their incredible wisdom, wonderful training methods, and the great care they provide for horses because of that. There is no one I trust more when it comes to my own horse.

But I emailed my mom a video of my trainer riding her Grand Prix horse, thinking she would be dazzled. The email I got back just said 'WHERE IS HER HELMET???'

Quote Originally Posted by inne View Post
    My trainers (both top level dressage riders) usually don't wear helmets. I can't imagine discounting their incredible wisdom, wonderful training methods, and the great care they provide for horses because of that. There is no one I trust more when it comes to my own horse.

But I emailed my mom a video of my trainer riding her Grand Prix horse, thinking she would be dazzled. The email I got back just said 'WHERE IS HER HELMET???'
    Yep. I question the wisdom of anyone who doesn't have the proper respect for their own noggin to try to protect it. You only get one, not like you can just run out to the store and get another; some trainers who are highly respected don't take adequate care of their equipment but it can be replaced, hopefully before it fails. Makes me wonder what shortcuts they take when we're NOT watching.

I wear a helmet always.

I don't really care if anyone else does, though I admit to being judgy when parents let kids ride helmet-less.

Seeing it in a sales video wouldn't bug me at all, unless the horse was really unsafe. In which case I wouldn't be buying that horse anyway

Quote Originally Posted by RubyTuesday View Post
    Yep. I question the wisdom of anyone who doesn't have the proper respect for their own noggin to try to protect it. You only get one, not like you can just run out to the store and get another; some trainers who are highly respected don't take adequate care of their equipment but it can be replaced, hopefully before it fails. Makes me wonder what shortcuts they take when we're NOT watching.
    Seriously? So someone who wears a helmet is automatically less shady than one who does, never mind how the horses look and perform?

That's just ASKING to be taken...

7 members found this post helpful.

You know, we're all entitled to our biases. I think people who wear helmets are smarter than people who don't - end of story.

You know, we're all entitled to our biases. I think people who wear helmets are smarter than people who don't - end of story.
    People who wear helmets obviously value whatever smartness they possess more than those who don't.

6 members found this post helpful.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...es-effect-soon Hopefully this is the first step towards putting an end to the upper level riders setting a bad example. As to the OP, I do not know so much about a sales video but I absolutely will not donate to a rescue that shows pictures of their horses being ridden helmetless.

2 members found this post helpful.