The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Favorite brushes for smaller hands?

It's been decided for me (though I had also come to this conclusion!) that my brushes "suck." Time to replace them!

I currently have a set of Tail Tamer brushes; I like the size of them, but I don't feel that they have really worn well. The grippy back is nice, but because it covers wood, they don't dry super-well after being washed, and some of the bristles warped and others have fallen out.

I have tried the Oster brushes (had a full set at one point), but I gave them away because I dislike the size and the balance so much.

I do have smaller hands, so many of the brushes that others love are just to big for me to use comfortably. So, what are your recommendations for brushes for smaller hands?
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

I use primarily the Salmon brand brushes that I think come from Hills. Someone else I this board probably knows more about that then I do. That said, I like the size and the fact that they have a strap also. I don't know if anyone sells them as a set. I sort of accumulated mine from several different tack stores a number of years ago, and they are wearing well.

No Question, VTO saddlery carries the best for little hands. They are a german brand. For kids they are kinder something. They have plastic coated backs. They are HAAS.

I have some smaller brushes by Winners Circle. I don't think they have worn exceptionally well, but not too badly either. I've had mine for over 2 years and they're going strong.

I have small hands. Also, though I'm usually pretty low maintenance, at some point in life I became a brush diva. Me and 99% of the brushes on the market don't agree with each other.

The only hard brush I'll purchase is the mini-sized Beastie Brushes:

http://www.smartpakequine.com/winner...ush-3737p.aspx

I'm ridiculously hard to please when it comes to soft brushes, but the last one I found for sale that I like enough to use regularly is by Winner's Circle-- I think this might be it:

http://www.smartpakequine.com/winner..._-NA&cm_vc=Rec

I use pony-sized rubber curries. I also love this curry:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/soft-to...%AE/p/X1-4948/
    Last edited by Texarkana; Mar. 8, 2013 at 06:25 PM. Reason: added link
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Well, I am definitely a walmart shopper here. Although I can see the other posters are NOT. lol...

I favor the Decker brand all synthetic brushes. In the kids / child sizes. They last forever, come in all types of bristles & are easy to clean by putting them in the dishwasher.

Hope this helps,

Just got the Equstra Sport small brushes for my little nephew. I have tiny hands and I was seriously considering stealing them.