The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Huge chested, wide shouldered, and overall wide horses and blankets...

I posted a thread a while back asking about the current quality brands of blankets, since the last time I had to purchase anything was well over 8 years ago. I have since actually found some blankets in my stash that kind of fit my mare, so I have something to put on her until I can get the blankets on sale after winter.

My problem is, I think her wide shoulder is being restricted by these blankets, to the point that she doesn't want to walk out and is taking short steps. Is this even possible? Shes a normally stoic horse, and I've checked her legs to find nothing. I'm hoping shes just being sensitive to the blankets, but just wanted to know if anyone else has had to deal with their horses doing this. Having the vet come out anyways just to make sure this week, but still looking for advice!

And in another note, what brands do you all suggest for the wide horse? I've been told Horseware Ireland, and some have even suggested SmartPak brand blankets, but just looking for more options. Thanks!
    Last edited by Libby416; Feb. 18, 2013 at 08:58 AM.

I have one horse that has a really wide chest and a huge shoulder. The blankets that fit him have a long gusset that starts high on the shoulder, not the little short ones like Wetherbeeta.

The blanket that works for him the best is the Rambo Optimo. I have a Big D Magnum that also fits him pretty well.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

1 members found this post helpful.

My Pessoa is the most well fitting blanket I've used, and my mare has quite wide shoulders. It stays put during her shenanigans and has NEVER rubbed. It's a few years old now, so hopefully they haven't changed too much. It's also a heavy, so the fact that it doesn't rub is great. She definitely feels free to leap around and roll with it on! Lol
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

I use Schneider's Big Fella clothing for my draftie. Nice fit! There are measuring instructions on the website.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

I agree gussets that start up by neck are the best. I bought a used Rambo for Miss Mare while it looks like it fits the gusset is too short. She takes mincing short steps in it and it rubs her L shoulder a lot. I only use it when her "good" blanket is dirty. An inexpensive Riders from Dovers. I covet some of the blankets form Schneiders but cannot justify another one for her right now

I have an uber wide huge shouldered horse and the Rambo Original fit BUT I had to buy the chest extension piece for the front closure. We've used this for 8-10 years and it's still in great condition. No rubs at all.

Rambo or Rambo QH.

The End.

Rambo and Shires for my wide bodies.

I have a draft cross that weighs 1,450 she wears an 84 Rhino Wug that fits her big shoulders wonderfully. She would regularly rip the seams out in her Weatherbeeta's and her mane was getting rubbed out every winter because she would rub her withers/neck where the blanket sat. Only took me 4 years to try the Wug, and I'm switching everything over!

Are you looking for stable blankets or turnout? For stable blankets I love Thermatex
    Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

For my big guy I am switching all of his over to Hug/Wug closure blanket. They are the only blankets I've found that truely fit him. I can't believe it took me this long to try them but they are hands down the best for the wide guys! I believe the hug blankets I have are Abarzo which are much nicer than I expected and have held up well.

I've found a few blankets that are wide enough, including Rhino, Rambo, Pessoa, Kensington and a few others, but the neck openings are generally too small and rub out his mane. Smartpak's line and some from SStack fit better than most but not as good as the hug options.

I'm going to need both probably, but Id rather just get a heavy weight turnout and a no fill turnout sheet for now. I'm in Central Fl, so winter usually don't get to bad here.

The blankets she has now are a Baker, which fits really strangely (too short, the neck has stretched, and it doesn't have a long enough drop for her), A Weatherbeata taka sheet, which the shoulders have ripped at the seems, and a Weatherbeata taka heavyweight. The Weatherbeatas I'd had in my stash for an old horse, so for the mean time its what I have to deal with. I just feel so bad, since she seems to be in pain when she wears them! She doesn't have any hair loss (yet) but you can tell when they are on that the shoulders don't give enough clearance.

Can you get the Amigo XL from Horseware... It fits my clyde x mare very well and she has had NO rubs at all. Same with the rain sheet.
    My daughter's Belgian x is also wearing the same blankets. Perfect fit.

I just bought a Exselle turnout blanket for my big, wide Holsteiner. Its cut very well and gives him plenty of room in the chest and shoulder. I bought him an 86 which is a little too long but is wide enough and has enough of a drop for the rest of him. Its also medium weight and breathable. They are available on ebay for $80.00.

Eous blankets are great! Wide shoulders long drop, and nicely made.
    My horse wears an 87, but most blankets are tight through the chest and too short.
    The Eous 87 gives him extra room to move around and the long drop covers his belly.

http://www.equisupplies.com/horse_blankets

I knew a school horse who hated blankets. You'd swear he was dead lame if he was wearing one, but take it off and he was fine. Some horses are just fussy.

I scored an awesome deal on a Rambo Wug last fall because the horse it was purchased for decided that he was incapable of getting up while wearing it. The owner put it up for sale after her BO rescued the horse in his paddock a couple of times.

There are a number of blankets now that have chests closures that (are advertised to) allow the blanket to fit one size up and one down from the listed size. If you got one of those in a size that was "too small" you might be able adjust the chest to the largest size to give her the extra room in the shoulders without having a lot of excess material hanging off her bum and getting coated in poop.

I too found the Weatherbeetas didn't fit my wide shouldered horse after they went to that Freestyle (short gusset) tailoring.

Rambos in general, and for the really wide Rambo XL (which they don't make anymore... but still possible to find)

I have the same problem. Last winter I had a custom blanket made by Integrity, and they did a great job, and it was slightly less than ordering an off the rack. I gave them the measurements, and explained that in addition to being big and wide (17hh @ 3yrs), he was still growing. Vicky gave his clothes some growing room, which I thought was great It meant that I didn't have to buy new clothes this year!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Does anyone have any experience with the Horze blankets?? Was speaking with a rep today at the tack store and he was adamant that they would be a good fit for her, but he was probably just trying to sell me his product.