The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I finally found one....

I am busting at the seems. My hubby of corse knows, as does my daughter but noone else in my family knows and won't know till later today.

My hubby bought me a horse. Since breaking my back five years ago and then loosing the horse that threw me a year ago I had quietly been looking.
    Last August a good friend of mine went to the Kalona IA salebarn and bought my new horse out of the kill pen. She was only a yearling. Well she has decided to sell her and told me if I would be interested I could buy her cheap.
    I mentioned if I did she would have to keep her at her place as I have pasture fence to replace wich can't be done right now in Northern Illinois.

She is a comming two yr old, buttermilk buckskin grade QH. I know what the heck am I doing buying a comming two yr old? Well I figure she will be my last horse when she is 12 I will be 56. I intend to take this year and do nothing but develop a bond/trust with her. I will do a ton of ground work this year and next spring will ride her. Late this fall she will start her driving training as I want to beable to drive her too.

The following video link is about horse slaughter in Kalona IA but it is NOT a graphic video. Reason I am posting is because my horse is in the video. You will see her between the 2 minute and the 2:05 mark. She is the bucksking that gets her head caught in the shoot gate and she stays pretty calm through the whole thing:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKa7ZyBBNfY

You may have to copy the link. I am super happy.

2 members found this post helpful.

I forgot to mention that five years ago I broke my back when my horse threw me. I got back on him six months later and rode him. I rode him off and on till last feb. when he had a stroke and died.

Shes really cute! Congrats!

Congrats! Good Luck. I could never do a 2 yr old now at this stage in my life, but good for you!

wow, congrats!! I've always wanted a buckskin.

Quote Originally Posted by gdolapp View Post
    Well I figure she will be my last horse when she is 12 I will be 56.
    Why would she be your last horse? I am 59 and planning to buy another young one (weanling to 2) soon.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

1 members found this post helpful.

Congratulations, she's a pretty girl. I hope she lives a very long time if she's your last horse. I'm 51 and I have a yearling appy filly that I'm planning to start when it's time. When she's 20, I'll be 71. She MIGHT be my last horse... (lol)!

Congratulations. I hope there are happier times ahead for your mare. I hated seeing her in that video.

Did you post this story somewhere else? It was like deja vu reading it.

I'll be 71 when my horse is 20 also.
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden