The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Machine Wash: Leather chaps, halters and bridles

I recently had someone suggest I throw my old full custom chaps into the washer to bring them back to their old glory. They said you use a gentle detergent and be prepared to use lots of leather conditioner when they come out. They also told me they did this with leather show halters and bridles as well. Really? Anyone else do this? I can't believe I never knew this.
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

Would never do that.

I throw the sheepskin shipping halters in my front loader with PePeDe, the entire halter, the sheepskin is sewn on. I also wash the sheepskin liner to my girth and sheepskin half pads. The machine has max extract which spins the snot out of everything to get the water out. Take them out, fluff up the sheepskin, and let it all air dry. Everything looks new.

I have known many people who have thrown their full chaps in the washer, with the front loader HE machines there really isn't that much water involved and using some thing like PePeDe it will put the fat back in. If you don't want them two sizes smaller - they are going to shrink as they dry, I would put them on damp.

My bridles I clean properly after every use, so throwing them in the washing machine isn't going to happen.

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't know about halter or bridles but chaps yeah. With my full chaps I've done this many times when they are grungy/yucky. I use put the washer on low water( though I would guess probably med with a HE machine) add the normal amount of detergent and twice the amount of fabric softener then line dry. These were given to me about 30yrs ago before the products that are now available.
    Friend of bar .ka

Quote Originally Posted by Seal Harbor View Post
    I throw the sheepskin shipping halters in my front loader with PePeDe, the entire halter, the sheepskin is sewn on. I also wash the sheepskin liner to my girth and sheepskin half pads. The machine has max extract which spins the snot out of everything to get the water out. Take them out, fluff up the sheepskin, and let it all air dry. Everything looks new.
    Oh I hadn't thought of this one. I'll try that.

I have an old Edgewood bridle that sat in a trunk for six years while I didn't ride. Its got that grungy kind of junk on the underside. How do you guys clean that off to get it back to looking like a show bridle?

I would not put your Edgewood bridle in a washing machine. Try a weak ammonia-water solution. Use a plastic scrubby sponge on the underside, a cloth or regular tack sponge on the smooth top side. A toothbrush works well to get the gunk out of the buckles. When the bridle is clean and dry, oil and condition as usual.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Quote Originally Posted by equisusan View Post
    Oh I hadn't thought of this one. I'll try that.

I have an old Edgewood bridle that sat in a trunk for six years while I didn't ride. Its got that grungy kind of junk on the underside. How do you guys clean that off to get it back to looking like a show bridle?
    Rubbing alcohol will get it off. Oil with olive oil when your done, put it in a large plastic bag and leave in a warm place for 24 hrs.
    Dawn

Patience and Consistency are Your Friends

I do wash half chaps and leather full-seats in the washer with very mild detergent (Ecover hand wash); you can also use Leather Therapy, I just happen to be allergic to the fragrance in it.

I have also tried washing a bridle in the machine using Leather Therapy. Ehh. I wouldn't do it again. I had to spend at least an hour rubbing oil into the bridle afterwards, because the leather seemed way too dry.
    "The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions." --Dostoevsky

Have washed half chaps, equitation boots, sheepskin girths and halters in the washing machine using Leather Therapy or Woolite. Everything comes out great. I use a little oil and leather conditioner on the leather parts and it looks like new. Never had a problem.

I have a fatal allergic reaction to yukkiness, so I machine wash half chaps, leather halters, fleecey tack, and the deerskin work gloves I wear when mucking. I would throw my saddle in there if it would fit. PePeDe!
    Dreadful Acres: the chronicle of my extraordinary unsuitability to country life

I used to throw my inexpensive schooling full chaps in at least once a year. It not only cleaned them nicely but also shrunk them back to their normal size after being stretched out over winter riding clothes.

I washed and redyed my leather show chaps many times. I followed the directions provided by Hobby Horse and they came out great every.single.time. YMMV
    Last edited by atlatl; Feb. 18, 2013 at 04:58 PM. Reason: spelling

I've put leather full-seat breeches in the washing machine and they did OK.

A former BO ran her school horse's muddy leather halters through her dishwasher and they didn't seem all that worse for wear!

What about a fleece lined leather girth?

I want to get the grunge off it before I store it (no use for a long girth right now), but I don't want to ruin it! I've been told to just throw it in the washer, then oil the snot out of it in years past, but have been too chicken to actually try it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Crone of Cottonmouth County View Post
    I have a fatal allergic reaction to yukkiness, so I machine wash half chaps, leather halters, fleecey tack, and the deerskin work gloves I wear when mucking. I would throw my saddle in there if it would fit. PePeDe!
    You are a hoot! I'm going to give some things a try. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PonyPenny View Post
    Have washed half chaps, equitation boots, sheepskin girths and halters in the washing machine using Leather Therapy or Woolite. Everything comes out great. I use a little oil and leather conditioner on the leather parts and it looks like new. Never had a problem.
    Yes this is what my friend says - I'm definitely going to give it a shot with a few things.

Quote Originally Posted by Canaqua View Post
    A former BO ran her school horse's muddy leather halters through her dishwasher and they didn't seem all that worse for wear!
    Well I hadn't thought of that. I do put my bits in the dishwasher to get them sparkling.