The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Default Spin off- What is your post-immunization protocol?

The Vaccination Issues thread got me wondering about what people do with their horses the day after they get vaccinations (tetanus, WNV, rabies, etc.)

I don't remember doing anything special back in the dark ages when I was a kid and the then AHSA-rulebook was written on stone tablets. There were fewer standard vaccinations and maybe we gave the horses the day after off because of the extra-special dewormer they got.

About 15-20 years ago my vet said to take temperatures the next day and ride normally if there was no fever.

Current vet says to take temperatures the next day and do a light ride if no fever and treat with anti-inflammatories if there is a fever.

Another vet used by some people in the barn says to take temperatures but hand walk only the day after. Admittedly this is one of those stealth vets that comes in the middle of the night so the horses are getting vaccinated closer to the next day.

So what do you do? I follow my vet's advice by taking temperatures and doing a light hack but I did get grief for this from a trainer who felt that all horses should get the day off.
    The Evil Chem Prof

The protocol that I have followed for years is this: First off, I do the vaccinations myself. I give the vaccines, do a light ride and bute that pm and in the am. I generally do a light ride the second day as well and then back to normal.

Some horses can get stiff and a bit lethargic after shots, so the day after is either a light ride or day off. We have never taken temps or buted (just because), but have monitored how the horse appears to be feeling. I have only had one of my horses have a reaction to vaccines while I owned it. Mare came in from outdoors in winter shivering pretty hard and not cause she wasn't blanketed well enough or anything. I think maybe we buted and left her in for the night and she was fine by morning.

I've always given the day off the day after shots. I know when I get a flu shot my arm is usually sore/stiff the next day, so I imagine my horses' necks feel the same way.
    Happiness is the sweet smell of horses, leather, and hay.

All the horses are now retired, so every day is a day off...but I used to give the day off after vaccinations.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

We do absolutely nothing different, even on the day of. Sounds a little ridiculous to give a day off just for vaccines, IMO.
    "Winter's a good time to stay in and cuddle,
    but put me in summer and I'll be a... happy snowman!!!"

Trolls be trollin'! -DH

1 members found this post helpful.

Turn the horse back out, or do whatever it is I was planning to do with it. Check their demeanor at suppertime and again the next morning, check temperature if they seem depressed or anything but bright and normal. If temperature was > 102 I'd give a dose of aspirin.

Haven't ever had to do anything but steps 1 and 2, however, fortunately.

My arm is a little sore after a flu shot. Doesn't keep me from using it! In fact it feels better if I do.
    Click here before you buy.

I do nothing different except keep an eye out for reactions.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Quote Originally Posted by Texarkana View Post
    Same here.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Same here - mine either get ridden right after, if they're rideable, or turned right back out. There is no day off the day after, though I certainly wouldn't be vaccinating the day before a show

There's no need to be proactive in doing anything until you have a horse prove he needs some special treatment, which might indeed mean a bit of bute or banamine before or right after, on the advice of your vet.

I do everything as normal with my gelding, who doesn't seem too sensitive to vaccinations.

My mare on the other hand, its extremely sensitive to vaccines, and becomes lethargic, uncoordinated, extremely stiff, and just plain crappy feeling for a few days after her vaccines. I just let her hang out in her pasture (they get 24/7 turnout anyways) until she seems back to normal before I ride her. She isn't in regular work, so I suppose I do the "regular" stuff with her too, although I make it a point not to ride her the few days after because I know how miserable she feels.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I usually visually and manually, by running my hand over, check for swelling. If in doubt I take temps. Since I space my vaccinations out, it's usually easier on them. If some one is really sore or stiff I use a bute.

For me I get my flu in my right arm, since I use it all the time, I seldom realize I had the shot.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Texarkana View Post
    This.