The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Just wanted to share a good ride!

I posted awhile back about my hunter getting diagnosed with pedal osteitis; well the EquiPak and leather pads have made all the difference! We haven't had any inkling of an abscess (knocks on wood!) in almost 2 months and we're back to regular work. I took him over to HITS two weeks ago to school and it was a bit...discombobulated. He was sound and fit, but he was dropping his shoulder at the verticals and not walking down the lines like he can and should be. So my trainer and I came up with a game plan and I set up a little exercise at home. The area I'm using is usually reserved for gymnastic work only because it is so small, but I put the exercise there intentionally to really take advantage of having to collect him and get him really thinking about where his body is and how he's using it. Except for me being entirely useless over the first little exercise and taking a nap on his neck, I was very happy with the result. We're going to school next week and are planning to do the adults the week after. But we shall see how warm-ups go!

Any feedback (positive or negative) would be more than welcome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZqR50I4NiU
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

Awww he's cute!! Looks like a fun ride. I think putting the exercise where you didn't have a lot of room was a great idea - no chance for him to get strung out!

He looks like such an easy going solid citizen. Love those kinds!! I also love his steady rhythm. My event horse and I are very jealous!!

very nice!! wish some of mine would be that nice and consistent.

Thanks guys He's a gem. I was feeling really down after our poor school a few weeks back and had a "maybe this is too much for him after the impar and the pedal osteitis, maybe it's time to let him just be" but I had a long talk with a few good friends and they convinced me to just keep trucking. I'm glad I did. I get really sensitive about this horse because he is just the most solid citizen and he really, truly, and honestly LOVES his job and I don't ever want to take advantage of that. So we'll continue to play with the exercise and build on it this week and then we'll go from there.

Now to work on keeping my body back gosh darn it!
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

What a nice looking horse. Congrats on the good ride- when they're coming off of an unsoundness, those rides are even sweeter.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

He's super cute! He looks very comfortable.

I love watching other people's videos... I am too chicken to post one myself.

I like your horse. He looks like a very consistent guy! I am definitely a fan He looks good, just keep doing what you're doing. I have the upper body problem as well.