The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default "Toilet Water" for Kittehs

When I moved into this new place about two months ago, the toilet tank had a deodorizer in it, maybe left from the former tenant. It looked like one of those deodorant toilet paper roll holders, with the sort of blue/purple stick stuff inside the plastic grid.
    I only discovered it a couple of weeks ago; the water in the bowl has never been blue or purple or anything but clear.
    I threw it out as soon as I fished it out.
    The tank doesn't empty completely when the toilet is flushed.

T.O.M. is a toilet-water-drinking cat. I keep the lid down on the toilet because when I first moved here I wasn't sure what the maintenance people might have cleaned the toilet with.

The toilet seat and lid are not exactly broken, but have a weird attachment that is constantly coming loose, meaning the whole lid sometimes comes off altogether. I am very tired of replacing it. All moving parts are plastic and I don't have the tools to knock the hinges into place. And I CANNOT afford to replace the whole seat and lid. That's not me being cheap, that's me being seriously poor. Those of you who know me know just how poor.

I would love to take the lid off completely and leave it off. But I am afraid that there is still some residue from that deodorizer thing left in the thank and that it will poison the kitties. Velvet has never drunk from the toilet bowl, but that doesn't mean she wouldn't try it if she saw T.O.M. doing it--she never did when we lived in our house but we left there over a year ago.

Do any of you have any experience with this sort of deodorizer? Should I put up with the loose lid and keep it down? Could the water be safe by now? I think I know the answer, but I just wanted to ask. This lid is seriously annoying me, and I cannot get the maintenance people to repair/replace it.

So should I just continue to put up with it until I can afford a new one?
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

I don'y know about the deodorizer, but can you keep the door shut to the bathroom? That's what I do in my apartment. I have a drinker and a splasher.

What? You've never cleaned the toilet before?

I have one cat that insists on drinking from the toilet. It gives him so much pleasure, that I don't have the heart to deny him. At least he has the decency to wait until after I flush. And, my toilets are regularly cleaned with Lysol Toilet Bowl Cleaner. He hasn't died yet.

I think your cat will be fine. Let him shimmy up to the rim and drink his fill.
    Fan of the Swedish Chef

I can't shut the door because the litter box is in there. The only other place I have to put the box is in a corner of the kitchen and I have thought about that, but it's a quite small kitchen.

Yes, Go Fish, I clean the toilet, but I use animal-and-environmentally friendly cleaners like vinegar or dishwashing liquid. But glad to know that your Lysol hasn't harmed your kitty because that makes me think my kitties won't suffer any ills from drinking from my toilet bowl. Where I cat-sat some years ago the housekeeper cleaned the toilets weekly with something like Lysol and once she flushed it away she left the lids up. I never saw that cat drink from a toilet but if she did she came to no harm.

Thanks, Judysmom and Go Fish!
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique