The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Mare gets fussy when blanketd

My mare gets fussy whenever I put her blanket on. She gets fussy, tosses her head, pins her ears back and just gets pissy. If I should be looking into physical issues, what should I consider? Ulcers? Or is this just a quirk? She's perfectly fine when it's on it's just putting it on that she gets like this. I don't think I'm being too rough about putting it on--I just swing it over like normal.
    TIA
    If i smell like peppermint, I gave my horse treats.
    If I smell like shampoo, I gave my horse a bath.
    If I smell like manure, I tripped.

She's probably just fussin'.

Herself gets all swishy when I put her blanket on sometimes. She's better if she's not eating. She'd never bit/kick or anything like that, just has to have her say about the whole thing.

She was 800 times worse last winter.... so I'd do a buckle or two and give her a cookie, do another buckle, dispense cookie. In about a week she didn't care anymore and just needed a cookie at the end of the 'sigh' torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    She's probably just fussin'.

Herself gets all swishy when I put her blanket on sometimes. She's better if she's not eating. She'd never bit/kick or anything like that, just has to have her say about the whole thing.

She was 800 times worse last winter.... so I'd do a buckle or two and give her a cookie, do another buckle, dispense cookie. In about a week she didn't care anymore and just needed a cookie at the end of the 'sigh' torment.
    Giving the mare a cookie after I toss the blanket on her seems like it would help with the 'tude...I'm gonna have to try that!

Probably fussy. One of mine does this as well. He's perfectly fine once it is on, but while I'm putting it on he just has to let me know that he's not too happy with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

Does she ever get shocked as you put the blanket on/take it off? Some horses are more sensitive to this and even if it doesn't happen a lot/all the time some horses will still fuss about it.

I have a fussy gelding that does that but usually it's because I am blanketing while he is eating... oh he is nasty about his food. I just tell him to quit it. He is better if he's in the cross ties to blanket.

The guy that feeds for me sometimes does the cookie thing and it works for him. I don't take the time for a cookie I just yell at him...
    Train like you have never won and show like you have never lost!!!

I never give a cookie for a fussy horse... but I will give a cookie to a horse standing quietly.. and then I'll quickly undo the blanket and get it off before he's done chewing. Actually a whole carrot snapped in half works best. That way he's not getting rewarded for fussing, and he gets to associate the blanket routine with something positive.... So I end up with a happy horse, chewing up his treat while I take the blanket off.

edited to add that mine tries to bite me when I undo the chest snaps and velcro. (not out for blood, just being Irish) hence I time it so that he has a mouth full of carrot when I'm at his chest. If I can't time it right, and he's gone from sweet faced to Mr Bitey then he gets a solid wack and I go on and undo the snaps. He only gets the treat for being good and quiet. One second of mean face and no treat.
    Last edited by NRB; Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:42 AM.

I have a couple in my barn who make ugly faces and swish tails and generally act like brats when I change their rugs. Most of the time I just ignore them or kinda sorta scold them, but it is just them. One of them is ulcer prone, but her attitude doesn't really change whether her belly is in good shape or not!

How is she when you take off the blanket? She may be anticipating getting a shock.

Quote Originally Posted by AA Hunter View Post
    How is she when you take off the blanket? She may be anticipating getting a shock.
    My other gelding who takes shocks as a personal affront and tries to bolt the crossties when it happens. I spray anything watery (showsheen or the hair conditioner) and diffuse the static charge before touching the horse... sometimes it just doens't work b/c the static charge is building up under the blanket from the friction of the blanket on the horses back.

Quote Originally Posted by NRB View Post
    One second of mean face and no treat.
    Lol, mine would never get a treat if I followed this rule! He can scowl all he wants, but he must keep all 4 hooves on the floor. If he stands quietly for blanketing and unblanketing, he will sometimes get a treat. He's gotten much better since I started doing this (he is very food motivated!).
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Can you blame them, especially this time of year? Mine have been blanketed for several months (different blanket weights, etc., depending on the weather), but they must be darn sick of them - even if they are comfortable and they are cold, they are still heavy and restrictive to some degree.

Mine usually start out the blanket season fairly cheerful, but end up being really grumpy about blanket changes.

I also think that no matter how well they fit, they do put some pressure on the horse's back, withers, etc. HRH has been getting fussy when I put hers back on also as of late. She also gets itchy (shedding season) and will rub her whole side on the panels with the blanket on.
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

My horse used to violently throw his head up and down when I put his blanket on. Bashed my elbow with his boney jaw on more than one occasion.

He stopped doing it within a week after I bought his first Rhino Wug. It faded away over the course of the week. He still gives a tiny, mild head toss at times - he would prefer to be naked, but he's partly clipped so has to tolerate the blanket. And I only buy him Rhino Wugs.

He was telling me the old blanket didn't fit. It was uncomfortable.

Do you put it on to early and she gets hot or do you take it off to late and she is hot... They remember and can be reminding you...... Even tho we all have a life too

Quote Originally Posted by S1969 View Post
    Can you blame them, especially this time of year? Mine have been blanketed for several months (different blanket weights, etc., depending on the weather), but they must be darn sick of them - even if they are comfortable and they are cold, they are still heavy and restrictive to some degree.

Mine usually start out the blanket season fairly cheerful, but end up being really grumpy about blanket changes.
    Agreed. If they feel anything like I do, they are DONE with blankets. I know that I can barely get through the door in the evening before I start stripping all my layers off...I have to work hard not to leave a trail from the front door to the shower (thankfully, my house is teeny). When we had a really nasty cold spell a few weeks ago, my very cold natured horse was PILED with rugs. Every time I peeled them off, he would immediately start stretching and wiggling, as if to say "AHH!!! Thank god!!!! I was getting claustrophobic!" I totally get it.

Quote Originally Posted by kcmel View Post
    Lol, mine would never get a treat if I followed this rule! He can scowl all he wants, but he must keep all 4 hooves on the floor. If he stands quietly for blanketing and unblanketing, he will sometimes get a treat. He's gotten much better since I started doing this (he is very food motivated!).
    Hey, whatever the criteria is, if it's all 4 feet on the ground. But you can move the criteria (after you get all 4 feet for a time) to include no mean faces if you want.

we have a mare that's much like this - i keep alfalfa cubes handy and give her one if she's nice about it - it completely eliminates the behavior. she's bad about being girthy too, and the cubes help with that too. she's just grouchy.

Quote Originally Posted by HealingHeart View Post
    Do you put it on to early and she gets hot or do you take it off to late and she is hot... They remember and can be reminding you...... Even tho we all have a life too
    BM and BO are pretty good about blanketing and she'll get layers added and removed throughout the day as needed.