The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

LOL well I see you have gone and done it--good luck, and don't hesitate to ask for good advice when you need it--most who ship have seen quite a bit, so you can learn from those who have been there and done that!

Consider signing up for US Rider--it is like AAA but for horse trailers.

http://www.usrider.org/index2.html

Read up on towing safely. It isn't brain surgery. Take your turns slowly, including speeding out of a turn. Give your self a lot of breaking room and break slowly and accelerate slowly. Drive defensively....there are a lot of idiots on the road. Going for a short ride in the back of your trailer can really quickly educate yourself as to what to watch out for when you are pulling and what your horse feels.

I typically bed down with shavings to keep it from getting slick in the back and keep hay (and sometimes hang a bucke of water) for my horses.

There are a LOT of sports (other than H/J) where most people haul their own horses. This is because it isn't hard...and it does give you a TON of freedom. I couldn't imagine having horses without my own trailer and do use my trailer basically every week.

If you do not use your trailer often, just make sure you get it regularly inspected--especially the axles and bearings. Have fun!!!
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Quote Originally Posted by M. O'Connor View Post
    LOL well I see you have gone and done it--good luck, and don't hesitate to ask for good advice when you need it--most who ship have seen quite a bit, so you can learn from those who have been there and done that!
    Thanks everyone for the advice, and, no worries about asking for advice again in the future!!! I am not overly concerned about the actual driving - I've driven a long bumper pull trailer (not a horse trailer) 1,100 miles through the Rocky Mountains and city streets without problem. Driving a horse will be different, of course, but I think with practice I can do it.

The one concern I have is my horse. He is not the easiest loader (to say the least) and we've been working on it since last summer. He will load easily after the show, but, in the morning, just doesn't want to get on. A friend has a trailer exactly the same as the trailer I purchased and he seemed to like it much better. I presume because it is bigger and brighter. He hauls like a star, doesn't move around much, and unloads quietly. My trainer and I think it's the fact that he really hasn't done much hauling before last summer and just needs to be re-trained. I'm hoping that's the case.

Anyway, on Saturday, the dealership said they will go through everything with me including a short demo on driving and explain all about the trailer and towing. My trainer has also said she will give me lessons, so I feel like I'm going to be in good hands - here's to hoping!
    ~ Because sometimes you need a rainbow, butterfly, unicorn kitten.

Another reason to own your own! You will teach that reluctant loader to get in and out in no time, you can feed him in there, let him out, drive down the road, come home for breakfast, etd. You need to practice short distances, he needs to learn that every time he gets in, hes not going to have to stand around all day in the heat, or work! Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Griffyn View Post
    Another reason to own your own! You will teach that reluctant loader to get in and out in no time, you can feed him in there, let him out, drive down the road, come home for breakfast, etd. You need to practice short distances, he needs to learn that every time he gets in, hes not going to have to stand around all day in the heat, or work! Congrats!
    Good suggestion! Plus it will give me a chance to get really good at hitching up!
    ~ Because sometimes you need a rainbow, butterfly, unicorn kitten.

You will enjoy having your own trailer so much! I have had such great experiences with owning a trailer and it is really not that hard - just drive carefully. I owned a 2 horse bumper pull trailer from 2006 to 2011 which I sold for essentially what I paid for it new. I replaced that with a 2+1 gooseneck. The pony rides in the box stall untethered for long trips and arrives chilled out and happy. We have saved many thousands and thousands of dollars and that has helped us afford competing. I personally maintain the heck out of my own trailer and have it professionally checked every year. I love the freedom of arriving when we are about to show and being able to leave the moment we are done. Enjoy!

Congrats! Now go buy yourself a TrailerAid. I've used one twice in the last three years. Once to change a friend's blown tire and last summer to swap one of mine out for the spare. I seriously won't haul without it. Bonus is you don't have to unload the horse and it is super fast.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

1 members found this post helpful.