The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Blanket rub woes

So my OTTB with the world's most sensitive skin has gotten blanket rubs, not only on his shoulders, but also the sides of his barrel. He's gotten rubs on his shoulders before, but they haven't been too bad. He's never had them on his belly (and I've never heard of a horse getting them there). It originally started on his shoulders, so I got a shoulder guard, which seemed to do nothing and maybe make them worse, so I stopped using it.

I've been putting diaper rash cream on them which is really helping his shoulders but the rubs on his belly aren't getting better (though they haven't gotten any worse). I'm thinking it's a fit issue but he's been wearing this blankets for awhile and never had a problem. He has gotten somewhat fatter the past year but nothing drastic.

Does anyone have any suggestions for miracle rub cures? They are quite unattractive. I've heard that the $$$ Rambo blankets with the hug closure can help with rubs (such as http://www.smartpakequine.com/rambo-...x?cm_vc=Search). I do need a new heavy blanket, but I hesitate to spend that much unless it's really going to make a difference.

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

The wugs are the bomb because they keep the horse's shoulders dry. I found that getting wet is what causes the rubs. I'm really surprised that the diaper cream is helpful as I found that it made rubs worse, for the same reason, that the skin is tacky and can be rubbed off more easily.
    I think the closure design on the rambos is excellent, too, as it seems to cause fewer pressure points.
    In my case, if I had just shelled out the $$$ for the rambos 7 years ago, I could have saved a ton of money in trying out blankets :-)
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

OP, you are not alone! Both my Rambo wug heavyweight and my Smartpak high-neck midweight, rub on the Hamster's shoulders. I think that the blankets are good blankets and that it's honestly more my horse and how he's built (or something) than the blankets themselves. Somehow, he has managed to rip the inside of both blankets over his left hip area, too. I use Derma-E cream (vitamin E, which seems to help with the re-growth of hair) on the rubs and that seems to help. My trainer recommends spraying Show Sheen over their shoulders, but I haven't tried that yet.

A friend of mine recommends the Turtle Neck blankets. I think that I might invest in one of those next year and see if that works any better.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

What about a horse bra? OK, I think they are really called shoulder guards, slinkies or sleezies. I have never used one but I am sure others on here can give recs.

My mare is horrible about this. Her, and her daughter I discovered, run the shoulders raw now matter the blanket or what I do. The bra does not help, nor any combination of anything else. I just discovered the bra put just enough pressure on her whithers to irritate the skin off.

I've tried everything over five years, and I'm just resigned to her having bald spots from Dec. to about now. The hair is starting to grow back now.

Get a Bossy's Bib. I swear by them. My mare had horrible rubs on both shoulders and within weeks of using one the hair was grown back in.

2 members found this post helpful.

Yes, Bossy's Bibs are a lifesaver! Not very expensive either - I ordered on eBay from a UK seller, and it arrived really quick for coming from overseas.

Thanks for the suggestions! I've heard bossy's bibs are good so I'll probably get one of them. I was using a "normal" shoulder guard for a couple weeks but it didn't help at all.

1 members found this post helpful.

our horses that get blanket rubs wear a shoulder guard.

one of my boarders and I were talking about this the other day.....we switched blanket brands on the three horses that were getting rubbed, and voila...no more rubs. Go figure...

I had a horse who got rubs on the sides of his barrel, the points of his hips as well as his shoulders from one blanket. The culprit was the lining material - some moisture wicking sandpaper (ok not really sandpaper, but if you'd seen the horse... ). I added a slick nylon type lining to the blanket that was about 3-4" shy of long enough (front to back) to completely cover the sandpaper. And he got a rub on the point of his buttock...

I never bought that kind of blanket again, and only put blankets with slick nylon linings on my horses now. The Rambo Wug worked for this horse - no rubs.

Quote Originally Posted by RedHorses View Post
    I had a horse who got rubs on the sides of his barrel, the points of his hips as well as his shoulders from one blanket. The culprit was the lining material - some moisture wicking sandpaper (ok not really sandpaper, but if you'd seen the horse... ). I added a slick nylon type lining to the blanket that was about 3-4" shy of long enough (front to back) to completely cover the sandpaper. And he got a rub on the point of his buttock...

I never bought that kind of blanket again, and only put blankets with slick nylon linings on my horses now. The Rambo Wug worked for this horse - no rubs.
    So mine isn't the only horse that's gotten rubs on its belly! Lol I'll check the linings...he hasn't been wearing the same blanket consistently since our weather has been a bit all over the place so I can't really pinpoint one blanket as the culprit. I don't think any of them are sandpaper lined but who knows.