The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

By 'soft mouth.' i assume you mean the animal reacts strongly to rein pressure. Horses HATE snaffles. Prlhams work. They USED to be the (always successful) bit of choice for equines who wouldn't put up with a snaffle. That has become unfashionable with the misconception that snaffles are 'easier' on the animal. no, no, no.

Why would a horse 'hate' snaffles but like a Pelham? A Pelham when used correctly (aka. Snaffle rein most of the time, curb only as needed) should function the same as a snaffle when ridden off the snaffle rein (probably exactly like a buacher). Snaffles probably come in even more mouthpieces so you can find a mouthpiece that offers any kind of relief you want. Pelhams exert pressure on the pole and chin (chain, strap) which is why the horse complies with it and why people use it when a snaffle isn't 'enough' bit. The only way a Pelham is actually easier on a horse IMO is if the horse is harder mouthed/untrained/or very hot and the rider has to haul/yank/ pull to get their point a cross in a snaffle. Then using a 'bigger' bit can allow them to be lighter and kinder with their hands.

I think there is a wide range of opinions about what constitutes a snaffle, and nightsong is probably thinking of the single-jointed mouth that a lot of people, myself included, tend to think of by default when we hear "snaffle." A lot of horses don't like single jointed bits and prefer a mullen or (going the other way) double jointed.
    You can take a line and say it isn't straight- but that won't change its shape. Jets to Brazil

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm with foursocks - I really don't like the single-jointed snaffle. I've always believed they irritate horses... even jabbing some of them in the roof of the mouth if they have shallow mouths.
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

Quote Originally Posted by foursocks View Post
    I think there is a wide range of opinions about what constitutes a snaffle, and nightsong is probably thinking of the single-jointed mouth that a lot of people, myself included, tend to think of by default when we hear "snaffle." A lot of horses don't like single jointed bits and prefer a mullen or (going the other way) double jointed.
    Ah, see I was just going by the actual definition of a snaffle (bit without leverage). And in the actual definition of a snaffle (like I said above) it can have any mouthpiece imaginable on it. And pelham can be single jointed. I always hate when people call any bit (including big leverage bits) snaffles cause they have a single jointed mouthpiece.

I like hackamores (skip the bit altogether) & Happy Mouth bits. Right now I'm training a green horse with a Happy Mouth bit. Previous trainer had put a sharp corkscrew snaffle on her and she started stopping/running out on the jumps. Just three rides and she's becoming a different horse.

You may want to possibly try a 4 3/4" D especially if your pony has a smaller muzzle. One of ours (medium) goes in a 4 3/4" rubber D and she does not have such a fine muzzle at all. Ours loves the rubber D but often chews through it making it an expensive option! She did NOT like the Happy Mouth at all. I 'm following this thread with interest because I too would like to find a gentle bit that can also offer a bit more longevity! Not too many bits come in 4 3/4" and I have been unable to find a double jointed D that is not too thin.