The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Favorite Soft Bit?

I have a large pony hunter with a fairly soft mouth. She currently goes in a rubber mouth dee bit but I'm not in love with the fit of it in her mouth. Any other 5" soft dee bits out there that you really like? I love the Herm Sprengers, but they are a bit pricey. Would a french link be good? All suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I loooooooooooove these...

http://nsbits.com/global/index.php/s...xed-cheek.html

Though they don't really have a D ring on the website, just an eggutt. I could have SWORN I saw a D in person once?!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

A french link can be a good affordable next bit to try.

I have a waterford bit in a D-Ring... here I'll try to find one for sale...

http://www.horsetackco.com/large-dee...l#.USFyElo5zfg In a 5"
    http://www.opentip.com/Sports-Outdoo...Fag7MgodRFsA0A 5" as well

I love it, it's wonderful. Hope this helps!

2 members found this post helpful.

My mare went very well in the herm Sprenger Duo, BUT the bit she likes best is a 20 dollar korsteel copper eggbutt snaffle with the joint sealtexed. It makes the joint softer, but the mouthpiece still flexible. She has a very fine/small mouth so the rubber snaffles were too fat for her. It's a cheap fix and you can adjust how much bend the joint can move depending on the amount of sealtex you wrap around the join. the other good thing, is that when the sealtex looks a little gross or chewed you just cut it off and rewrap!!

I have a very sensitive mouth horse, actually two of them and one LOVES the Mullen Mouth rubber D ring as in this ad - scroll down to the bottom - bit on the left.....
    https://rainbowsendtack.com/EnglishB...oriesPage3.htm

It has to have a curve to it. The straight rubber mullen mouths just don't fit in their mouth very well.

My other soft mouth horse likes this bit -

http://www.horsebitbank.com/danger-b...ng-2-640.phtml

Love this bit.....
    Train like you have never won and show like you have never lost!!!

I have one pony that loves the Herm Sprenger Duo, and several that go in the Stubben Easy Control.

For soft mouthed horses I love a nathe. Pricey to find one in Dee ring, but they're out there. My current mare happily schools in a Happy Mouth. Affordable, gentle, and I think they fit so much better than the thick rubber mouths. Plus they must taste better
    A good man can make you feel sexy, strong, and able to take on the world.... oh, sorry.... that's wine...wine does that...

I haven't tried this bit on my horse yet (and don't know if it comes in other cheekpieces) but it looks like such a nice soft bit for my sensitive mouthed horse I am quite excited.
    http://www.thehorsebitshop.co.uk/product.php?xProd=411
    It's less bendy than normal nathe bits but more bendy than happy mouth bits and I think my horse will love the tongue relief.

Jointed Happy Mouth Dee is a favorite but I'm also a huge fan of the Waterford. Most important way to keep a soft, educated mouth is to have soft, educated hands.
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

Quote Originally Posted by equisusan View Post
    Jointed Happy Mouth Dee is a favorite but I'm also a huge fan of the Waterford. Most important way to keep a soft, educated mouth is to have soft, educated hands.
    I tried jumping my horse in a single jointed happy mouth snaffle once. My horse is NOT a stopper, it happens VERY rarely. He would almost NOT jump in that bit. He flatted in it fine but he was NOT comfortable jumping in it. No idea why he hated it so much. I have shown him a single jointed happy mouth 2 ring plenty and he jumped fine it it, but would have nothing to do with the single jointed happy mouth snaffle when it came to jumping.

Quote Originally Posted by ElisLove View Post
    I tried jumping my horse in a single jointed happy mouth snaffle once. My horse is NOT a stopper, it happens VERY rarely. He would almost NOT jump in that bit. He flatted in it fine but he was NOT comfortable jumping in it. No idea why he hated it so much. I have shown him a single jointed happy mouth 2 ring plenty and he jumped fine it it, but would have nothing to do with the single jointed happy mouth snaffle when it came to jumping.
    How funny is that? Ahhhh... horses.... darn minds of their own

What exactly do you mean when you say you don't like the way it fits in her mouth? Do you mean too bulky?
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

What is soft for one horse can be very harsh on another. I've known quite a few sensitive horses who HATE metal bits and/or double jointed bits. My go-tos for super soft are Nathes and Duos and occasionally a soft, flexi rubber mullen mouth. My horse's flat bit is a Nathe. His "big" bit for jumping and galloping is a very light, hollow mouth french link loose ring. Even with that, I have to be VERY soft. I may be able to jump in the Nathe, but haven't been brave enough to try!

Funny, a lot of these "soft" bits are not what I would call soft. I don't consider Waterfords soft and would never consider one for the kind of horse I think needs a "soft" bit.

3 members found this post helpful.

A Herm Sprenger Duo is what I use on my hates-metal-bits older jumper, and my baby was started and still goes in a copper French link. Waterfords are nice (although not very soft- they are good for horses who like to grab the bit), but if she has a little mouth it might be too fat and busy for her. The duo is thinner than a normal nathe or a mullen mouth, which is why my guy likes it- he does not like fat bits.

I use loose rings pretty much exclusively, but I think you can find most anything in a dee if you search around enough.
    You can take a line and say it isn't straight- but that won't change its shape. Jets to Brazil

I have 2 hunters that are very sensitive/ have very soft mouths. I use both of these:
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/happy-m...it/p/X1-01114/

and

http://www.doversaddlery.com/happy-m...th/p/X1-01118/

When the plastic on the double jointed bit started to get nasty from chewing, age, etc. I looked for a quick fix with some latex. Turned out, covering the joints with latex was quite a hit with both of my boys! It was more flexible than the mullen mouth, but a little more stable than the double jointed. Worth a try!

Quote Originally Posted by jlphilli View Post
    What exactly do you mean when you say you don't like the way it fits in her mouth? Do you mean too bulky?

Sometimes when the rider pulls on one side of the bit, it tends to "get stuck" and almost hang out the side of her mouth causing alot of pressure on the other side. It can only be fixed by adjusting the bridle by hand. It is a 5" and it the appropriate size for her. She has a dainty face/mouth so maybe it is just too bulky! I'm leaning towards trying the Herm Sprenger Duo and a french link copper dee. Any suggestions on a good brand (good quality) for this?
    Last edited by Stella D'Oro; Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:38 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    Funny, a lot of these "soft" bits are not what I would call soft. I don't consider Waterfords soft and would never consider one for the kind of horse I think needs a "soft" bit.
    I agree that "soft" may not be the best term for the Waterford but I've used it on several sensitive mouthed horses because it can be used very gently and doesn't poke and prod the horses like many other single jointed bits do.

Default Try a full cheek snaffle.

Full cheek snaffles are great for the ones that like stability in their mouth (w/ bit keepers, of course). The long cheeks in combination with the keepers not only keep the bit stable, they also keep the bit centered. I love a simple rubber mullen mouth bit. I'd recommend trying that with full cheeks. Do you think you could fit the pony in a 4.75" bit? Its only a 1/4 smaller than the 5" you're using, and if the current bit is sliding in her mouth and getting stuck to one side, I don't see why 1/4" smaller bit could hurt. This is a good deal on ebay on a hard to find bit http://www.ebay.com/itm/KANGRAOO-STA...item27cf3ac3c6. They do make that style Happy Mouth, however I'm not much of a Happy Mouth fan because I've seen some get pretty chewed up and get sharp edges as a result!

If you think the thickness of the rubber mullen mouth is too much, you might want to try this bit. Its a oval link full cheek snaffle designed for those with a narrow palate. http://www.victorycanter.com/product...cat=450&page=3 . Almost as mild as a mullen mouth.

Good luck and keep us updated!