The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse ID/number search says "Retired" under membership type.....huh?

Hey USEF search gurus.

I was looking up the info on a potential horse for a client. When I did a search, I found the horse. His "membership type" says "retired".

Huh?

I've seen: Horse ID Only, Life, Deceased, Annual. But never retired.

Now, I'm pretty sure I get what that means () BUT my question is why would the previous owner contact USEF to change his status to that? What would be the motivation?

Just wanted to understand it better for future inquiries.

Thanks.
    www.englishivyfarms.com
    Hunters, Jumpers, & Welsh Ponies
    All I pay my psychiatrist is the cost of feed and hay, and he'll listen to me any day. ~Author Unknown

Because maybe the previous owner considers the horse retired?

Maybe the previous owners consider him retired AND want someone to know that when they look up the info. This would definitely cause me to investigate further, even contact the owner who marked him retired. It may not be fishy, but it's definitely worth investigating, just in case something's amiss.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

When I "retired" my horse when I renewed my other one I marked my older guy as retired...3 years later I brought him out of retirement I called USEF to un-retire him.

When you renew your membership each year, you are asked to select the status of each horse recorded in your name. I have a couple horses, for example, that I still own but no longer plan to compete on so they are listed as retired. They are no longer of competition use to me, but if I did end up parting with them (which I don't plan to) I could imagine a situation where a new owner might want to show them at a lower level. There are all kinds of situations that would bring a horse out of retirement. I'd ask the owner. Simple as that.

I listed 2 horses I no longer own as "Retired" this year, as otherwise they ask for you to put in the subsequent buyer's info so that they can transfer the life membership without a Bill of Sale, etc. I was too lazy to look up the subsequent owners' info, I gave the horses to friends, and there was no other suitable "option" on the USEF website this year. The horses are alive and well, but not currently showing.

We listed our pony (who is actually the inspiration for my username here) as retired when she was seriously injured and presumed to be a permanent pasture ornament.

Surprise, surprise when she was looked at by the vet and cleared for use, and then again cleared to jump, supposedly with absolutely no limits.

She was then sold and the owners were able to take the "retired" status off her number.

It's basically so you can keep the horse on the back burner/if they ever were to come back and show they can be reregistered.
    Oh Sweetheart
    Make A Splash
    The Adventures of a College Equestrian