The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My horse's tail was stolen

I got a call last week from my mom, who's got both her horse & my horse now. Somebody apparently went into the barn or in the field, not exactly sure when and stole the tails off 2 mares, mine and one of the BO's. Both were down to the ground and silver-dark chestnut tails, and long. Between the 2 horses, I would bet $500-$1000 worth of horse hair. Now they go a bit beyond the bone. Best part, both mares are for sale. They should show well now.

I got out there this weekend, and they really are gone. Nobody is exactly sure when they were cut, it was a "what's wrong with this picture?" kind of thing and there was the thought that maybe the yearlings got bored and chewed it off. They looked cut to me, and they found no hair in the barn or field.

The funny part, the old evil mare I gave Mom - She still has her tail! Apparently whomever is roaming Amish country stealing tails isn't willing to risk life & limb for it.

Holy crap! Well, I hope buyers are understanding it's hair and grows back (and if they're for some reason psychotic about it, they can get fake tails). I would think a REASONABLE person wouldn't blame you or pass on a horse because some lunatic broke into your field and cut their tails. Heck, it's a good argument that they're very even-tempered that the thief wasn't kicked to bits. And an unforeseen upside to cranky mares--vandal deterrence!

ugh, how annoying. i would be so pissed! people suck.
    My mare wonders about all this fuss about birth control when she's only seen a handful of testicles in her entire life. Living with an intact male of my species, I feel differently! WAYSIDE

Default So Sorry

Wow, that's terrible. So sorry.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

Aaah, man. I'm so sorry to hear it.

Maybe think about (if you haven't already) compiling an email list of every barn you know of in the area and sending out a blanket email warning them? Not that it can be undone, but the people might be able to be caught, or at least not do this to any other animals.

What a crummy thing.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Any cattle, goats or young horses in with the animals who lost tails?

We had a big newspaper story about "tail thieves" roaming the area because 4-5 horses in a field had suddenly shortened tails when they were brought in. Police reports, everything. Well it turned into "egg on their faces" when one of the loose cattle in the field was observed chewing on what was left of the horse's tail. No theft involved, just horses too laid back to move when cows chewed on them.

We had a 2yr old molly mule chew off OVERNIGHT, the yellow horse's long white tail. Should have known better and put some shampoo on the hair, but she had NEVER shown any chewing activities before, so we were quite surprised. Took about 2 years to get from tailbone short, to back to the yellow horse's ankles again. Looked like someone had done tail cutting with scissors, it ws that even on the bottom.

So some ideas for you to check. Sometimes a horse gets a taste for hair off other horses. ESPECIALLY young horses. You might not have been stolen from at all. That is a terrible feeling, so I kind of hope these ideas are a possibility for your situation.

Are you in Amish country in PA?

Ugh, I've heard of that happening before. Totally sucks! Hopefully potential buyers will look past that!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

There are a couple pony yearlings in the stall next to my mare. They got the blame initially, Nobody called the cops b/c they werent sure it wasn't the ponies. The strange thing is there was no hair any where. Not in the field, the stalls or the barn. My mare is almost 17.2 - she lost a lot of tail; besides she's ok with people around her back end, but has no problem kicking another horse back there. It's hard to believe the little bay urchins wouldn't have hoof imprints if they were guilty.

This was happening on Whidbey Island in Washington last month. SAD.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

I'd laugh but for ASB sale horses this is not a good thing. Must be really aggravating actually if you've been bagging and working hard to keep a loooong tail.

Is the tail hair really worth that much? Once she figured that the pony really doesn't have a career in the show ring my trainer was trying to talk me into taking off his tail, red on top and snow white at the bone, flaxens up in summer, and said it'd be worth $80 or so, but he is a pony and his ground length tail is a bit shorter than a horse's. I was hoping it would be worth more, but at that price he needs it for flies.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

What is the matter with people?! That makes me so mad!
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

We never found the hair off the yellow horse either. The molly never got impacted, but no one else could have been the culprit. AND we saw the molly trying to get a grip on what was left of the tail hair for more chewing. It had been shampooed by then, didn't taste very good.

We now always shampoo up the broodmares tails so the foals don't get started tail chewing. Plus it is not helpful to have a bob-tailed broodmare trying to keep flies off the foal and herself.

It is scary, too! Thinking that someone can come in & get out...gives me the creeps.
    Sorry about your tails

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    I'd laugh but for ASB sale horses this is not a good thing. Must be really aggravating actually if you've been bagging and working hard to keep a loooong tail.

Is the tail hair really worth that much? Once she figured that the pony really doesn't have a career in the show ring my trainer was trying to talk me into taking off his tail, red on top and snow white at the bone, flaxens up in summer, and said it'd be worth $80 or so, but he is a pony and his ground length tail is a bit shorter than a horse's. I was hoping it would be worth more, but at that price he needs it for flies.
    I wonder who your trainer was going to it to? A bit of profit perhaps? About 5 years ago, I cut the old mares tail, which drug the ground by about a foot, and sent it to Judy Lovell to be made into a switch. It & the check for her labor never made it, ended up in Asheville, instead of TN. At least that's where the check was cashed.

When I called asking where my tail was, she didn't have it, but had one that would work for~ $1000. If I had provided the hair, it was $200. Do the math. So,yes long hair is worth that much.

Quote Originally Posted by red mares View Post
    I wonder who your trainer was going to it to? A bit of profit perhaps? About 5 years ago, I cut the old mares tail, which drug the ground by about a foot, and sent it to Judy Lovell to be made into a switch. It & the check for her labor never made it, ended up in Asheville, instead of TN. At least that's where the check was cashed.

When I called asking where my tail was, she didn't have it, but had one that would work for~ $1000. If I had provided the hair, it was $200. Do the math. So,yes long hair is worth that much.

Ah. I recall a client with a horse whose tail dragged the ground, I helped cut it and it was easily seven feet long, the client was shorter than me and held it up as high as she could reach and we had a little bit still on the ground, I'd believe that tail was worth that much. The pony's tail wouldn't be more than three, three and a half feet long. The bottom of his tail bone is hip height on me.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

So...you guys are telling me I can go outside, cut off my Friesian's tail & use it to finish the payments on her (if I don't mind having a bobbed tail)?

FYI she was fairly cheap.

There seems to be a weird possibility for a Gift of the Magi thing here.

I would tie yarn on her tail for the flies...

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Slewdledo View Post
    This was happening on Whidbey Island in Washington last month. SAD.
    Beat me to it, I had heard it happened to several different barns actually, not just one place. Eeep.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Quote Originally Posted by Hippolyta View Post
    So...you guys are telling me I can go outside, cut off my Friesian's tail & use it to finish the payments on her (if I don't mind having a bobbed tail)?

Saddlebred switches, the kind worth $800-$2000, need to be a bare minimum of 6' in length (the really expensive ones are more like 8' long) and flaxen and silver chestnuts are the most expensive colors, black is the cheapest. That is the price of them made up into a switch. There aren't many switch makers out there. And then you need to be able to market the switch, and for the most part when people buy one they call those few switch makers up direct, trying to sell one privately is hard.

Also, through lessons learned the hard way by other people, before sending hair off in the mail to any switch maker I would photograph it's color and length with a tape measure in the photo and weigh it on an accurate scale, then make sure to insure the package!

Quote Originally Posted by Hippolyta View Post

I know. The tail from the old mare was worth more than she was! I'm really surprised my Amish friends haven't figured this out, or there would be a lot more bob-tailed horses (besides the Belgians) in their fields. They are usually up on any way to make a buck.

1 members found this post helpful.