The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Appaloosa people maybe you can help

so- i recently bought a horse thru a rescue/business. I did not know at the time of purchase, but this rescue/business has a lot of haters, a bad reputation, and altho many of their buyers are very happy, there are a lot who are not. We supposedly saved this horse from the killer buyer. In any event he went thru New Holland Auction.

Anyway, we got this horse but registration papers have not been sent to me, altho i have been trying to get them for 4 weeks.

I never met the seller/rescue. My horse came down with a case of Snots, and was sent to Quarantine for 2+weeks. We went to see the horse while he was at QT barn. Owner of QT barn told us reg papers are sent to owners from the rescue.

So i tried to get them sent to me. They seem to have vanished into thin air. I can't get blood from a stone, so i am about to give up on the rescue having them at all, even tho i was told he did.

MY QUESTION- is it possible to have the ApHC find the papers thru photos and estimated age? i have a feeling the answer is no, but was curious if this was a possible service they might offer. I have no idea his name, was told he is 6 yrs old.

I realize i don't really need papers on a gelding, but if he has papers i want them.
    Last edited by Nezzy; Feb. 17, 2013 at 05:10 PM.

Your answer is no. You can get him registered through the hardship clause, if he has appaloosa color.

I assume you are talking about AC4H. I would imaging if there are papers, the dealer would be the one who has them.

Maybe if you post some photos, someone would recognize him and could get you in touch with the former owner or his breeder. Then you could file for replacement papers using an affidavit. More of a pain, but the only way to get the papers.

thanks. i figured there was not much luck. The owner of the rescue texted me back a little while ago, she is looking further into it. I have not had any issue with the rescue except i really want the papers if he has them. the horse is going to be a great trail horse, he has been on two trail rides and we are very impressed.

I really doubt any former owners will come forward as he was dumped at auction.

I would not expect to get them. I know someone who got a mare from them and have never been able to get her papers and were even able to find her former owners. The rescue definitely has her papers and will not give them up.

When I bought Sonny, his papers were going to be mailed.
    They arrived about 8-10 weeks later IIRC. It did take some time, but then dealing with volume may cause delays sometimes.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

1 members found this post helpful.

i am hoping they can get to finding them. keeping fingers crossed, since i don't even have a registered name to go by.

adding photo-the horse on the right is the new guy, the one on the left is my other appy. ( yes i have a type! LOL)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...ps670a9c9f.jpg
    Last edited by Nezzy; Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:22 PM.

If the papers don't surface then get him registered through the hardship clause. It is not difficult to do. Some paperwork, some photos (follow the instructions), and you are done.

P.S. He is a handsome boy! Congratulations!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

So i have heard from the Rescue- they have finally checked into him and he does not have registration papers. Or at least he was not brought to auction with them. So i might register him thru a grade horse registry just for fun for my hubby.

If he's appaloosa colored, register him hardship with the Appaloosa Horse Club. It makes more sense than trying to do it through a grade registry. With hardship papers he can then show as an Appaloosa in Appaloosa classes and shows.

Quote Originally Posted by x View Post
    If he's appaloosa colored, register him hardship with the Appaloosa Horse Club. It makes more sense than trying to do it through a grade registry. With hardship papers he can then show as an Appaloosa in Appaloosa classes and shows.
    It will cost me $155 to register him for hardship and we don't show. i really was just hoping for his pedigree but since i don't even have DOB, i am out of luck.

He is a beauty! Congratulations and Good Luck on the papers/registry issue. You could always sell a few unwanted things to cover the papers if you'd like.

Just precious!

Both very nice lookin' freckle butts ...

If you do the hardship papers, you can enroll him in some of the programs ApHC has - such as the ACAAP program, and there is also a saddle log program where you track the hours you put in the saddle. There are all kinds of fun rewards.

http://appaloosa.com/trail/trail-distance.htm

http://appaloosa.com/show/acaap.htm

I won a custom-embroidered jacket and a crystal engraved photo frame (both with my horse's registered name) for winning an ACAAP division one year. Pretty cool.

http://www.appaloosa.com/web/shAcaapAwards.aspx

(look under 2009 and ACAAP Masters - my horse is Don't Worry About It)

Try posting in Appy groups on Facebook....a lot of people have luck finding horses or their backgrounds on those sites...