The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default free kindel book set in the hj industry

Thanks. Ordered it despite the not-so-good reviews on Amazon

Just read the descriptions of the book....saddle up the Drama Llama!! Just the description has more twists and turns than an afternoon soap opera.

Trophies takes you into to the true heart of the horse world, its intrigues, money, cut-throat competition, triumphs, and tragedies. In its details of struggle, betrayal, loss, and love, it's one of the most realistic novels ever published about equine sport and the personalities who drive it.
    Diana Winston has a dream—to rise to the top of this sport. But obstacles over five feet high and six feet wide are not her only hurdles. With no bankroll and no family, she has but two friends. Olympic gold medal winner Jim Williams helps her navigate the world of the rich and entitled while guarding a secret that will break Diana’s heart.
    The second friend is Dr. Steve Rodriguez. A renowned Mexican virologist, he lost everything, including loved ones, in the 1985 Mexico City earthquake. Overwhelmed with guilt and depression, he enters the United States illegally and, concealing his past, takes up a lowly position as a groom. Drawn to Diana's energy and talent, he presents her with a slaughter-bound stallion, declaring that this horse can take her to the pinnacle of show jumping.
    As Diana presses ahead at a Grand Prix event in Newport, she meets Dr. Bill Stanford, a brilliant neurosurgeon and horse show enthusiast. Bill is deeply attracted to her and determines he must radically change his personal and professional life.
    The early AIDS epidemic is raging and Diana finds herself drawn into the terrifying world of one of its victims.
    A classic novel of the horse world, originally released by Signet/New American Library, Trophies
    is an action-filled romance that brings together the worlds of show jumping and medicine, as well as the compelling characters who inhabit them.
    Gaps in logic, portrayals of women other than the heroine as shrewish, and an undercurrent of class envy and snobbery sap this debut novel. Sheridan's most plausible writing concerns horses generally and Grand Prix jumping in particular, but this is the least part of the book. At 19, Diana Winston has riding ability, but no money to train or compete. She works at a show stable until the owner's daughter, who despite her own wealth envies Diana, makes it look like her enemy's carelessness caused injury to a valuable stallion. With no thought for his own gain, Steve Rodriguez, a stable hand with a secret past, is convinced of Diana's talent and innocence. He buys the stallion, cures him and trains Diana to ride him. As she triumphs on the Grand Prix circuit, the young woman romantically pursues and is pursued by various men, including a gay man who becomes an AIDS victim. She finds love at last with a prominent surgeon twice her age who already has a wife but will leave her for Diana: to the doctor's mind-set, his wife's infertility exemplifies a "perverse and destructive nature."
    I was so amused by the summary I think I'm going to have to get the book. It sounds like it will provide plenty of entertainment, both intentional and accidental.

Got it thanks. The beauty of free. If it stinks just delete. Love my Kindle.

1 members found this post helpful.

I ordered it too. Thank you.
    Sheila

"She finds love at last with a prominent surgeon twice her age who already has a wife but will leave her for Diana"

what great insight to wrap up the H/J world in a sentence

The world-class Grand Prix showjumper is an Andalusian?????

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    The world-class Grand Prix showjumper is an Andalusian?????
    No, it is a Shetland Pony, I believe.

Yeah...I read this in paperback I think a bunch of years ago. Meh. Good for a giggle, but not particularly realistic.