The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Patent Accents?

Anyone have or have seen patent leather accents on a dressage saddle? They exist, but I've not seen one in person. I'm ordering a saddle and am toying with the idea of black patent accents on the welting and rear of the cantle. I WILL skip the crystals though.
    "You post all your drama on Facebook and get mad when people judge you? You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you?"

I have a Dresch with patent leather on the cantle. Even as the least blingy person on the planet, I like it. Very nice saddle.

I've seen them and really like it... as long as the patent is the same color as the rest of the saddle, it actually looks fairly subtle from a distance IMO Not blingy at all, just a nice accent.
    "Winter's a good time to stay in and cuddle,
    but put me in summer and I'll be a... happy snowman!!!"

Trolls be trollin'! -DH

Not on our saddle but just recently purchased DD a patent bridle as I don't do bling at all & just couldn't embrace the glitterati of it all. Anyway - I like the elegance of the bridle and despite my reluctance to have bling, I bet it would be very elegant on a saddle.

Nice to have feedback even though I do what I want regardless. I like to be unique and this saddle will be one of a kind. Not sure how much extra the patent will be, but I can't imagine it will be alot. I also see a bridle with patent lining on the noseband and browband in the future. I have a beautiful crystal browband (tasteful not gaudy) and maybe I can have the padding changed to patent. Not something in the near future though. I'll start with the saddle if the company will do it for me.
    "You post all your drama on Facebook and get mad when people judge you? You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you?"

I have seen them - and a friend just ordered one with patent on the cantle. As already mentiond, w/ the same color (in this case, black), it isn't really a huge issue - although I'm wondering if scratches and scuffs will show up more?

How would you oil/clean it?

Always wondered what kind of care would have to go into patent leather.. Hate them on bridles but a little accent probably wouldn't hurt on a saddle
    AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

I have a patent leather on the noseband of one of my dressage bridles. I would totally do patent accents on my saddle. I think it would look nice.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Quote Originally Posted by FLeventer View Post
    I have a patent leather on the noseband of one of my dressage bridles. I would totally do patent accents on my saddle. I think it would look nice.
    Me too.

I'd do it, but I'd do it Now. The Patent Leather trend is just starting. And I'd be prepared for that look to go out of style later. Just use up your saddle by then, or become one of those great-riding-old-ladies-with-the-fabulous-horse that earns you the right to not give a rat's patoot about what the whippersnappers think. You know, like the way you (should) look at someone with a beautiful pair of custom-made chaps with respect.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I am just waiting to hear if the saddle company can do the patent on the particular model I want. I don't give a rat's patoot (a FAT rat's patoot) if patent is in or out of style. I'm 57 years old and have earned my Bronze and Silver Medals (traned my horses myself) and am gearing up to compete my homebred this year. I've not competed for almost 10 years due to lammenss and lack of $$ to buy another horse. My young horse is out of my retired PSG mare. I've earned every wrinkle in my face, the right to wear whatever I want, and to "do my saddle up" as I please. I've got new boots, a new navy jacket with a matching CO helmet and I'm coming back this year with guns a blazin'.

5 members found this post helpful.

Maude! I think you're my new hero!!

Maude, I LOVE your attitude and can relate! I plan on trying to event my horse, and my attitude with my matching boots/helmet/vest/etc. is this: I might not ever make it beyond beginner novice level, but by God, my horse and I are going to look good doing it. My colors aren't wild and gaudy, and I DO plan on getting the black dressage saddle someday with the black suede seat, colored piping, and crystals on the cantle. I figure that it's within the rules and it's my money so I can do what I want, especially if it makes me feel more professional and put-together. If it doesn't hurt anyone or anything, then why not?
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

I haven't earned my attitude, but I agree - do what you want, and who cares what others think? Within the rules, obviously, as you wouldn't want to get eliminated or anything...

The not yet started filly will have a Dresch with brown patent on the cantle (and a brown saddle overall) - since we'll likely get a new saddle for the adult horse balance rather than young horse balance after not too terribly many years, I figure even if it is no longer "in style" by then it'll be ok.

My TB is in no way a patent or bling type. He's very classic and elegant, and shiny/blingy just isn't his style.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed