The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Angry Client thieving and ethics????

I am new to this..I have never really been confronted with it as I have always had my own place but in the last few years have been in a facility with other trainers....lately my clients(devoted) have come to me and expressed complaint that the other (3 day) trainer in my barn is soliciting them???? I frankly have known when she came to the facility, she was conceded and desperate for clients, shows no respect (though she uses my jumps) and has a general disdain for my methods. (American Forward seat). I don't [care] about her opinion, but it really bothers me that my juniors and adults are upset by her obvious advances....what would you do???? I have high professional ethics and wouldn't dream of approaching her clients or reproaching her methods....I am baffled.

I am trying to take the high road, but it is getting under my skin....help???
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Feb. 17, 2013 at 03:38 PM. Reason: language

First, the clients can defend themselves. They are not your properties and if ever they'd like to switch trainer for whatever reason, let be it.

This trainer's lack of ethic is obvious but leave it at that. Your clients can just say "no, not interrested".

On the other hand, why is this trainer allowed to use your jumps again? Is there any fee involved to rent them? What if a jump gets broken?

17 members found this post helpful.

You sound a bit insecure about all this. Your clients can make their own decisions.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

4 members found this post helpful.

I wouldn't let anyone use my jumps without a rental fee and proof they have liability insurance along with a rental contract that has a brake it you bought it clause in it.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

My advice is to take the high road. Anything you say to the other trainer is most likely going to be construed as defensive anyway.

I would say to the clients that you are not surprised by the solicitation, as they are terrific customers that anyone would be thrilled to have. Said with a smile, this is a nice way to tell them that you appreciate them without being overly possessive.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

24 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    My advice is to take the high road. Anything you say to the other trainer is most likely going to be construed as defensive anyway.

I would say to the clients that you are not surprised by the solicitation, as they are terrific customers that anyone would be thrilled to have. Said with a smile, this is a nice way to tell them that you appreciate them without being overly possessive.
    I agree. But no more letting her use your jumps. For real.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

They're YOUR jumps? Rental fee and proof of insurance.

Otherwise, if your clients are happy, she can lobby them all she wants, they'll stay. If they're not, they'll leave anyway.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    I agree. But no more letting her use your jumps. For real.
    Lucassb's script was great-- makes the point diplomatically without *any* think negative said.

I might also dip my toe into some indirect BS and suddenly change my mind about new trainer using my jumps. I'd offer no explanation. I'd let the wheels turn in her head while she figured it out what happened. Maybe in future you guys can have a discussion about the concept of "professional courtesy". I'd extend that once as you have, OP. But if it was not returned, I'd cut my colleague off.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

3 members found this post helpful.

Many facilities have a policy regarding this kind of behavior and don't allow trainers to take clients from each other. You may want to talk to whoever manages your place about it. But keep your head up and don't let anyone sense your insecurity. Good luck!

I would worry more about client poaching if the customers didn't tell you, and suddenly started leaving. And I agree about the jump situation, with rental fees and proof of liability insurance.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by HJStyleReport View Post
    Many facilities have a policy regarding this kind of behavior and don't allow trainers to take clients from each other. You may want to talk to whoever manages your place about it. But keep your head up and don't let anyone sense your insecurity. Good luck!
    How can a facility enforce that? Clients are free to go to with whomever they want.

Totally agree re; the jumps-rental fee to cover damage/repainting and definitely proof of insurance. If she'd stoop so low as to poach your clients, she'd probably also stoop low enough to be the first one to place the blame on you and your "dangerous" jumps should someone get hurt while she's using them.

Insecurity is a source of loss when it comes to business business, this is opinion. I can't speak for any trainers, but I know that it can be very frustrating. Personally if I were to be solicited I would notify my trainer as yours customers did. However, if a customer wants to move, you can convince them to stay but not for long. If someone wants to leave, they will leave. Why would you want a customer within your barn who is easily persuaded to relocate? If your clients are devoted to you and agree with your methods, there is no reason to be insecure beyond being irritated with this other un-professional.

A few facilities I have been to have a contract stating that there will be no soliciting of clients and no accepting of clients who are currently with another trainer. If they'd like to move, they are welcome move off site.

Have you spoke to this other trainer personally? I would imagine this would solve at least half of your problem. When someone is confronted by another, regarding an action that you both well know is wrong, especially if you are the one being targeted, It would be foolish of her to continue.

Also, a loss of jump usage will prevent her from successfully continuing her program. Sounds a bit passive aggressive but legally on your part they are your jumps, if someone were to get hurt, you may be the next one hurting.

How does she "use" your jumps. It is because there's only one set of jumps (yours) at the facility and you don't pack them up/take them down everytime you're done lessoning or using them? Would you really want a rule instituted that makes you have to clear out the jumps everytime you're done with them? Maybe you wouldn't mind that, but that'd annoy me. Unless you are going to charge everyone who isn't your students a rental fee for the jumps you leave out-- I don't see how you're going to institute such a fee for her. She might turn around and charge you a surcharge for having to work around your jumps when she teaches flat lessons!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by HK1980 View Post
    A few facilities I have been to have a contract stating that there will be no accepting of clients who are currently with another trainer. If they'd like to move, they are welcome move off site.
    So let me see how that would work.......

I move in to that barn with my horse. I know none of the trainers so I sign up with trainer A after a month or so of observing. After riding a month with trainer A I realize that we don't click well and I should have signed up with trainer B (with whom I've now had two months to observe and talk to her clients). So the barn would have me get stuck with a trainer I don't mesh with or leave?

Stupid is as stupid does.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    How does she "use" your jumps. It is because there's only one set of jumps (yours) at the facility and you don't pack them up/take them down everytime you're done lessoning or using them? Would you really want a rule instituted that makes you have to clear out the jumps everytime you're done with them? Maybe you wouldn't mind that, but that'd annoy me. Unless you are going to charge everyone who isn't your students a rental fee for the jumps you leave out-- I don't see how you're going to institute such a fee for her. She might turn around and charge you a surcharge for having to work around your jumps when she teaches flat lessons!
    I agree. I think the one thing that may solve the problem and not even in a semi-malicious way would be asking her to not use "your" jumps. Its highly understandable by many people, might not be to her but like I said. If someone gets hurt by or on one of your fences, you could be taken to court, now that would obviously be in a malicious way but people will be people.

? I've been riding all my life and I've never heard of "American Forward Seat). ? I'm guessing you mean Hunt Seat, to which the forward seat, as a basic position, is pivotal (no pun intended). Am I mistaken?
    "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory

Quote Originally Posted by JackieBlue View Post
    ? I've been riding all my life and I've never heard of "American Forward Seat). ? I'm guessing you mean Hunt Seat, to which the forward seat, as a basic position, is pivotal (no pun intended). Am I mistaken?
    I've heard that term used. George Morris uses it. Yes, it's Hunt Seat. Sounds like the eventing trainer who shared the barn with OP does not approve of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Canaqua View Post
    I've heard that term used. George Morris uses it. Yes, it's Hunt Seat. Sounds like the eventing trainer who shared the barn with OP does not approve of it.
    Silly that this other trainer would have such a problem with the OP based on her preference of seat. At the same time it wouldn't surprise me. People never cease to surprise me within this equestrian bubble.

Quote Originally Posted by JackieBlue View Post
    ? I've been riding all my life and I've never heard of "American Forward Seat).
    http://www.equestriancoach.com/ameri...-riding-system