The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I really like him based on pedigree and the trot video. Would love to see a confo shot. Trot is very nice and elastic for a horse that raced and has not been retrained (yet ) Is he still running? Will somebody be interested in competing this guy at some point? Don't geld him. Not too old for a second career.

Princequillo wasn't a sprinter. He won the Jockey Club Gold Cup, which back then was 2 miles.

1 members found this post helpful.

I like him. He has a very nice trot and his canter video shows an easy, ground covering stride (which as a successful TB, he should have). I'd really like to see a clear confo shot of him. I agree that his neck is a little short and set a tad low but otherwise, he's very nice.

I don't know much about TB pedigree and influence for sport horse breeding but as a competitor, his brain and performance would be most important to me.

If I were the owner and wanted to market him to eventers/sport horse people I'd certainly invest in having him trained up and shown. Maybe offer some reduced price breedings to people with nice mares to get some offspring on the ground to see what he passes on? Just a thought there, I'm not sure how that would work.

As I said, I do like him and wouldn't mind seeing him in my barn!

Quote Originally Posted by Judysmom View Post
    Princequillo wasn't a sprinter. He won the Jockey Club Gold Cup, which back then was 2 miles.
    I realized this after I posted - was actually coming back to note, lol. Still, staying blood doesn't hurt, and Bold Ruler's side had the spring speed.
    The Rodeo Project - Tracking an Event Horse

The trot and canter look very nice. The neck isn't bad considering he is a stallion. Rideability and temperament would be the deal breaker.

He would be worth someone's time to buy, compete and hope to build a competition record. Stallions , though, are not for amateurs.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Very nice!

[QUOTE=jenarby;6839877]
    I do LOVE Hennessy in a pedigree....but not a whole lot of names really jump out at me....Mr. P...and Storm Cat yes...but.... Any thoughts?
    QUOTE]

I don't know anything about pedigrees or breeding... but my trainer just bought a Hennessy grandson gelding who raced until he was four and is really lovely... wonderfully personable and well mannered, a great mover, and jumping very nicely. Plus he's big and gorgeous.

A lovely horse. I am always so sad when someone offers such a horse as a stallion prospect. There are probably a million stallion prospects out there, and very very few people willing to take on the fulltime job of promoting, and breeding such a horse. (there are 7 million horses in the US give or take a few thousand, and if half are mares and half horses, then the number is more like 3.5 million!)

The work is immense. One must truly believe in a horse and then go out and create the credentials....So that's why I am sad -- because a horse like this does deserve a chance, but finding the right person for him might be tough given everything in this economy. I certainly hope, though!
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

FWIW, I have taken canter listings for colts and stallions that could not come close to measuring up to this guy when it came to movement and race record .....he is pretty quiet to handle but he does love the ladies. Lol.
    I don't have a dog in the fight one way or another as he doesnt belong to me.
    If the owner decides to sell...I do have someone who is very interested in buying to event him.
    Threads like this are good for learning so I appreciate all of you who have responded!
    RIP Spider Murphy 4/20/02 - 10/31/10

I love the fact that he is still racing. Isn't he a 2004? That means really good soundness to pass on to his babies. I think he would be great for breeding, however, I don't think there is a lot of MARKET for his babies with no show record and no babies on the ground. It is a shame, but most people who are looking for breeding (as opposed to conformation on the ground) are looking for names.

PKN

I think he is lovely. He will certainly make a lovely gelding. If he stays a stallion...he will not be profitable as a stallion unless someone puts some serious money and time into him...and even then, most sport horse stallions are not very profitable. Get him approved by a few WB registries (unless they gear him to the Quarter horse world) and compete him some.

Would I use him as a stallion for my mares....I would certainly consider him.

Would I be interested in buying him as an event horse prospect.....yes. If he comes up for sale, please PM me!

Would I probably geld him...yes. I might collect him first and maybe even breed one or two of my TB mares (I think he would be a good cross with them--neither has Mr. P). But I think his life would be much nicer as a gelding and his chances of going further himself as a competition horse will be greater as a gelding.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Quote Originally Posted by retreadeventer View Post
    A lovely horse. I am always so sad when someone offers such a horse as a stallion prospect. There are probably a million stallion prospects out there, and very very few people willing to take on the fulltime job of promoting, and breeding such a horse. (there are 7 million horses in the US give or take a few thousand, and if half are mares and half horses, then the number is more like 3.5 million!)

The work is immense. One must truly believe in a horse and then go out and create the credentials....So that's why I am sad -- because a horse like this does deserve a chance, but finding the right person for him might be tough given everything in this economy. I certainly hope, though!
    This. He's a lovely mover, and I believe you (Jenarby) if you say he has a wonderful temperament. You know, though, how hard it is to make money with horses. Cother Cyriz' mom has done a phenomenal job promoting her TB stallion, Sea Accounts, but it's been a long, expensive road I'm sure. Hopefully you will be involved with him after his racing retirement so you can evaluate his ability for a 2nd career (eventing), and then the 3rd (stud).
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

Oh Jen, he's lovely. If someone is interested in keeping him a stallion and looking for someone to compete him I'm sure Kyle would love the opportunity

Jackie

I'll also jump into the "if you ever want to sell as a sport horse" line.

I'd probably geld him as well, but I do like him enough that I'd come look at him this weekend if he was for sale.

He's amazing.

I just wanted to update this thread. Backgammon won three races this year as a 9yr old...jad a second third and fourth. His owners decided to retire him. He was added to the CANTER website but sold off of my ad on facebook. He will remain in Ohio and be retrained as a jumoer for the owners personal show horse. She will also be open to breeding oputside mares to him for racing and sport. She is probably going to have him trained to a phantom and offer shipped semen down the road at some point. She plans on getting him ohio accredited too. He will be well taken care of and is going to a great home. If anyone wants contact info for the owner for future use pm me.
    RIP Spider Murphy 4/20/02 - 10/31/10

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jenarby View Post
    She will also be open to breeding oputside mares to him for racing and sport. She is probably going to have him trained to a phantom and offer shipped semen down the road at some point.
    This is good news.

There's a lot to like about this TB as a stallion. A very attractive horse with demonstrated longevity. While others have posted about lots of TB stallions out there, I haven't found many who are suitable or available for sport.

Glenbaer has two zaftig Irish mares who produce quality eventer foals out of TB stallions. This guy would be perfect for them in terms of lightness and refinement. I'll alert her to this update.

1 members found this post helpful.

I've got to agree with JER and wonder where all these nice, affordable TB stallions are hidden?

Nice to see him end up in a good home

Quote Originally Posted by jenarby View Post
    I just wanted to update this thread. Backgammon won three races this year as a 9yr old...jad a second third and fourth. His owners decided to retire him. He was added to the CANTER website but sold off of my ad on facebook. He will remain in Ohio and be retrained as a jumoer for the owners personal show horse. She will also be open to breeding oputside mares to him for racing and sport. She is probably going to have him trained to a phantom and offer shipped semen down the road at some point. She plans on getting him ohio accredited too. He will be well taken care of and is going to a great home. If anyone wants contact info for the owner for future use pm me.
    Thanks for the update. I had responded to you on FB about him, and am very happy to see that he has a good home.
    Good luck to him.
    And good for you for going the extra mile for this nice horse. Well done.