The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Places to list QH for sale

Somehow I ended up with a QH, Im not sure how but trainer "friend" talked me into buying. Now I need to downsize to send DD to college, her horse is for sale but no interest so I need to list the QH. Some times FB has groups w/ stuff for sale, is there a place to free list a QH?
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Uhhh Craigslist?

COTH classifieds or giveaways, depending on what you are doing to get rid of said horse?

Sorry I should hvae said I need to sell, hes well trained for a certain thing so hes not a $250 QH likes on our CL Can you sell a decent horse on CL without crazies? Bluey Ill check Coth classifieds, I know most people here have TB or WB (he lookes like a WB) so never thought of here. Tks.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Dreamhorse is not free but a lot of people look there for horses. If your horse is well bred and well trained it may be worth it to advertise him there.

If a horse is a good performance horse, the best market for that is in a performance stable.
    See if you can find a trainer that has the kind of clients that horse fits and how would they go about market and selling him for you?
    Many of those kinds of trainers are on FB and get the word out about a horse they have and those tend to sell quickly.

How about that trainer friend that sold him to you?

Just bc he's worth a lot doesn't mean good people don't look on CL. I look every day for used saddles, etc..I have also seen some local horses on CL listed at $12,000. CL is free and you get a lot of lookers.

Why not spend just a little and advertise through the AQHA? You might find people who appreciate him for his specialized skills. If the national ads are too pricey, try Googling your state's AQHA club and putting an ad on their website.

craiglist, horse clicks....

craigslist, horse clicks...
    Last edited by CharingHounds; Feb. 17, 2013 at 09:33 AM. Reason: double post

You would be wrong to assume that there wouldn't be much interest in a QH here. I bet you get some looks.

Horseclicks and equinenow has free photo ads and you can post video links. The best free place for inexpensive horses (not 5 figure horses)

Our local CL has $250 QH WH & the pony, no high $ horses here, of course the economy sux right now so maybe why? I looked on COTH & saw no western horses, checked other & got a ad not for a western, maybe just all of them sold? I know many people who just have a backyard QH, a friend warned me if he was that I would have to give him away, and Im only doing this cause no one wants my other horse. Trainer would take QH but I hate to ask, shes got kids in college to. Will check barn he came from for selling & other sights. Thanks.
    Last edited by JohnDeere; Feb. 18, 2013 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Not a sale ad

Definitely dreamhorse - text ads are free, but have photos and preferably video ready to email. Depending on your area I would also recommend posting at the local feed/tack stores and getting the word out by word of mouth (farrier, vet, local 4-h, etc). We've moved more of that level by word of mouth than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDeere View Post
    Somehow I ended up with a QH, Im not sure how but trainer "friend" talked me into buying. Now I need to downsize to send DD to college, her horse is for sale but no interest so I need to list the QH. Some times FB has groups w/ stuff for sale, is there a place to free list a QH?
    where are you that there is no interest? Where have you advertised? For how long? What skills does the horse have? Mare? Gelding?

Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    where are you that there is no interest? Where have you advertised? For how long? What skills does the horse have? Mare? Gelding?
    Equinenow, breed group on FB gotten a lot of contacts from this, local barns/trainers, started trying in Dec.
    Last edited by JohnDeere; Feb. 18, 2013 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Not a sale ad taking out details

Maybe his true career is as an eventer or jumper.

Just sayin'.....

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDeere View Post
    Equinenow, breed group on FB gotten a lot of contacts from this, local barns/trainers, started trying in Dec. Horse is not beginner safe, those horses go like hotcakes at Mardi Gras , he is very safe for a rider who likes spirit & go, he needs some training in trails to be allround usful. Id trail train him if I kept him no problem, hes got so much heart & he tries so hard to do what you ask always.
    if you know that a well broke horse is marketable, but yours isn't moving....get him broke.

if you know that a well broke horse is marketable, but yours isn't moving....get him broke.
    or lower the price to what he will move for.

or lower the price to what he will move for.
    Thats plan B, if I cant seel QH, but Im asking a few hundred above what I paid for him after commissions & that was cheap Caballero I dont event/jump except logs & puddles, he might be a great endurance horse to but thats not what I do & it would look strange to put prospect down for endurance/whatever when hes never done it. 3 dogs hes broke & safe just not a deadhead which is what people want for kid beginers cause most of them around here cant ride. Just sold a kids beginer horse easy for lots more $ & way easier time of it. He wouldnt buck spin rear or spook if a dragon landed in front of him but he goes bit faster than little kids want, as a second horse hes perfect.