The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Options for custom boots?

I've got wide calves and I'm having a wicked hard time finding boots to fit. If I get a boot to fit my calf, it's not quite right in the foot, or too wide at the top around the knee. I went to Dover and tried on EVERY boot in the store and left with nothing I'm really sick of NQR boots and I'd like to look into customs, but I'm not sure where to start. Parlanti doesn't have any ready to wear that would fit my calf, so I would need to go custom but I don't know where/how to get measured. I was also interested in La Mundial, so I went to equine affaire to be measured/order, but the guy in the booth on Sunday was not the one who does measurements.

What are my options for going custom?

Rather than custom you may want to check out the new off the rack Sergio's they're really pretty and have so many combinations.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

If you run a search on here, you will find many threads.

Quote Originally Posted by VTMorgan06 View Post
    I've got wide calves and I'm having a wicked hard time finding boots to fit.
    Have you looked at these boots?
    You'd need to contact for fit details & not much left in sizes in the sale boots (obviously lots of non-sale boots )

Or get what fits in the foot and calf, and have the tops taken in. That's what I have done and did recently. Boots look custom, fit is nice. I think all told I was out... $300? $320?
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

How about La Casa de las Botas boots? I don't own any (I will when my boots wear out though!) but I've only heard good things about them. Last I heard, they run about $600 shipped to your door and they are fully custom.
    "Be the change you want to see in the world."
    ~Mahatma Gandhi

After rereading your entire post I really suggest you check out the new sergios, I normally have the same problem with my boots fitting around the calf and being too wide at the top, and these were absolutely perfect for me.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Quote Originally Posted by besttwtbever View Post
    How about La Casa de las Botas boots? I don't own any (I will when my boots wear out though!) but I've only heard good things about them. Last I heard, they run about $600 shipped to your door and they are fully custom.
    How do you order these boots? The link just takes me to an info page, but no boots/sizes/prices/etc.

I've heard great things about DerDaus. They're very expensive though, from what I hear, but they are custom!

How do you order these boots? The link just takes me to an info page, but no boots/sizes/prices/etc.
    You find the model you'd like, then fill out the form and email user faraway46 on here for help with translations or communications with the order (she is local to them and knows the owner well.)

Is there another website/link for the Casa boots? The link provided by another poster doesn't have anything clickable on it. Just a few sentences about the company. I can't find anything about their boots or see any on that page.

I have heard that the Fuller Fillies boots are good for those needing a wider calf.

For customs, if you want a classic boot, consider Dehner. They have been making custom boots forever, the quality is top-notch, and they are American-made.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

I've had good luck with Der Dau custom, but the key to any good fit is to be measured properly. Have you checked local tack shops? They often have someone experienced on staff, or at least could give you advice.

Is there another website/link for the Casa boots? The link provided by another poster doesn't have anything clickable on it. Just a few sentences about the company. I can't find anything about their boots or see any on that page.
    If you go to the link I posted, there should be a column on the left hand side with a bunch of options like "About Us", "Riding", "Dressage", etc. Click on the "Riding" one and you can see some of what they have. From what I understand, they can make almost anything you can dream up even if it's not on the website.
    "Be the change you want to see in the world."
    ~Mahatma Gandhi