The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by GAEventer View Post
    Her sire's sire, MGRM Brigadoon is small 13.2ish I believe, and ran Training very successfully with a teen in the tack. He has a great jump, knees to eyeballs, and a very good temperament.

I would look at the height in the dam's pedigree. I know that Briggs sire's small, but perhaps the dam's pedigree has some height?
    Briggs almost ALWAYS sires height. My purebred was by him, she is 14.2 out of a 14.1hh dam by Gunsmoke. Another purebred by him that belongs to a friend is 14.3 out of a 14.1hh dam. On the way home from 2010 WEG I met someone in CA with a 16.2hh crossbred by him OO a TB.

One thing Briggs does pass on is jump and temperament My purebred is showing and winning with a 11 year old at the local A shows at coming 6 years old.

I LOVE Conn/TB crosses! I have an Erin go bragh out of a Rock Point mare mare is 15.3 and go bragh is 15.1. Lee ended up a solid 16 hands her second son is by wildwych eclipse who is 14.1 and I think is going to be at least 15.2 or more
    Cindy

Make any mistakes going forward!

In comparison to the palomino in the liberty videos (that is a hand shorter and a year older) the pal has a better canter, in that she has a more active hind end and her hind leg can reach up under her body more. I'm not a fan of the chestnuts hind end myself. I wouldn't' say that she looks like she has issues (that's for a vet to say on a PPE) but she doesn't use herself well.

There are alot of lovelyConn/Tb crosses out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawks Nest View Post
    I can actually see the seller adding on a few inches as they do grow a little bit more when they are older. We have 2, one is a 2yr old filly 3/4 connemara 1/4 tb who is expected to make it to around 15hh or a bit more. Our other guy is a freak of nature at 16.3hh, and he definitely put that last inch on as a 5yr old. All the connemara tb crosses I've seen are scopey and super event horses. They usually have the flash to get by in dressage (even if they don't like it, our boy hates it but always scores very well) and will jump their hearts out. Just as a reference, Skippy was out of a 15hh mare and by a 14hh stallion so miracles happen although she is a bit old to get super super big.

Do you know her breeding?
    Well, since HN brought it up, I've been on her mom's horse Skippy a couple of times. Never jumped, but he seems fun enough to ride, if a bit bouncy. Taking him in a little hand gallop around their very large indoor, I could feel the TB trying to come out He's pretty laid back, but definitely has that "extra gear" in there.

In looks and personality, think "pony on stilts." E.g. very independent-minded, capable of being a little naughty. He's a super horse, though. The younger one seems like more of a pony to me.

As for OP's prospective horse... I'd go with the palomino, too...
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Quote Originally Posted by GAEventer View Post
    Yellowbritches you must have Galway Blazer in your barn? I have four of his half-siblings all by *Grange Finn Sparrow. Love, love, love the partbreds by him. I'm about to move my gelding up to Intermediate next month. You can see them all on our my farm link. Sparrow's Owen is under geldings, and there are three mares, Sparrow's Tiptoes, Sparrow's Emma, and Sassy Sister.

Hawks Nest has two of his grandfoals, one of which we bred. She's under the 2011 youngstock, Brambleridge Celtic Sparrow.

How is Blazer doing??
    Yes, indeed I do have the one and only Blazer. He is a schoolmaster for my AA employer now, and I think he gets a kick out of that job! I don't get to ride him as much as I'd like, but I have a blast when I do. He is a very cool dude, and is definitely a little bit of an evil genius sometimes....though, most of the time he's just all rockstar good looks, swagger, and charm.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Pony View Post
    Briggs almost ALWAYS sires height. My purebred was by him, she is 14.2 out of a 14.1hh dam by Gunsmoke. Another purebred by him that belongs to a friend is 14.3 out of a 14.1hh dam. On the way home from 2010 WEG I met someone in CA with a 16.2hh crossbred by him OO a TB.

One thing Briggs does pass on is jump and temperament My purebred is showing and winning with a 11 year old at the local A shows at coming 6 years old.
    He didn't pass it on to Danny Boy though, did he I have seen other offspring of his that have been small. 13.2-14 hd range.
    Fade to Grey Farm
    Eventing, Foxhunting & Connemaras
    *NEW* website:www.fadetogreyfarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    Yes, indeed I do have the one and only Blazer. He is a schoolmaster for my AA employer now, and I think he gets a kick out of that job! I don't get to ride him as much as I'd like, but I have a blast when I do. He is a very cool dude, and is definitely a little bit of an evil genius sometimes....though, most of the time he's just all rockstar good looks, swagger, and charm.
    Aww good for him! Glad to hear he's teaching someone else the ropes. I've seen him in person a couple of times, he's an extraordinary horse! And I'm sure there is some pony-tude in there
    Fade to Grey Farm
    Eventing, Foxhunting & Connemaras
    *NEW* website:www.fadetogreyfarm.com

Well, I might not of found the horse/pony I was looking for, but now I'm very intrigued by the Connemara/Thoroughbred cross. I might just start looking for one that is already at least 15.0hh tall. I emailed the breeder asking if she knew of anyone having a 15.0hh or taller one already under saddle. As I said before, I was only really looking at Thoroughbreds or Thoroughbred/Warmblood crosses, but perhaps a TB/Conn. could be well-suited to me too.

Now, if only there were good Akhal tekes for sale in my price range! Then it would be no contest! It really sucks that the Teke breeder I know only has unbroken babies right now, his two older ones were sold to a woman in Texas who bought the stallion Eramay recently. I really miss the Teke filly I leased last year, she was an amazing filly.
    "One reason why horses are happy is because they are not trying to impress other horses."
    "Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction"

I always have my eyes pealed for TB/Connie crosses. They are hard to find. Good luck with your search! Have you tried equine.com, dreamhorse, and horseclicks?

I think this mare is very cute (although older) (Not connected in any way, just saw her a couple weeks ago when looking for a friend)
    http://fullsailfarm.yolasite.com/sales-page.php
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow36 View Post
    I always have my eyes pealed for TB/Connie crosses. They are hard to find. Good luck with your search! Have you tried equine.com, dreamhorse, and horseclicks?
    Yep, every night I go through all the new ads that were posted on all those sites, including equinenow and warmbloods for sale too. I also follow various FB groups, Yahoo groups, etc.

Yeah, I saw that mare when I did a Google search. She doesn't track up very well in the walk.
    "One reason why horses are happy is because they are not trying to impress other horses."
    "Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction"

In Va I feel like we have them coming out our ears. I can think of a few different breeders off the top of my head. But the OP is in Wis or near there, and I don't know anyone in that area.

I got mine from a great farm in Virginia called Cady o daly. Great people and wonderful horses
    No Worries!

2 members found this post helpful.

In Va I feel like we have them coming out our ears. I can think of a few different breeders off the top of my head. But the OP is in Wis or near there, and I don't know anyone in that area.

If it helps, my entire barn and I are going down to Rolex this year for the first time. Anything around Lexington?

Check www.acps.org I poked around earlier and there's a few crosses. Also check in the Area newletters on the site, that's actually where I found my guy vs the classifieds.

LetItBe
    Crayola Posse: Violet Blue

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

These all have the same sire as our girl. The sire is known for throwing great temperaments.
    http://www.glendalefarm.com/sales.htm

You can also check
    http://www.virginiaequestrian.com and so a search for connemaras. You could come and see quite a few down here.
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

I live in Virginia and have mostly (as in 4 out of 5) Connemara Crosses. I am totally sold on the cross. I just wish more were available. Every time I go looking for a prospect, it takes months to find one. So often they are not tall enough (I like at least 15 hands), or not bred to really perform. Cady O'Daly has one occasionally and I know most of the local breeders. I used to breed but I hate it... too much time, too much risk. I did breed my current UL horse, Mick Dreamy.

Mick Dreamy, who is my Intermediate horse, is by Aladdin's Denver out of a TB mare by Babamist. He is the most wonderful horse I've ever had. He does have an attitude but he is so so kind to beginners. He is smart, personable, and has an amazing sense of humor. Trainer says he is a definite 3* horse, if I put the time in. But currently, we are having fun and hoping to do a 2* and that's probably as far as I will go (I am looking at the front door of 60).

I have another by Thurman's Clearheart who is out of a TB mare and he is a Storm Cat Great grandson.

And two more that go back to Grange Finn Sparrow. One is 1/2 Oldenburg.

My smallest is 15.2, and that is a 3 year old. Mick is 16.1. All of them are absolutely phenomenal jumpers. I also select for size and movement so they are pretty much all fancy movers, with scores of at least 7 in gaits. Mick is probably my least fancy mover but he can still pull great scores at Int and Prel, as long as I remember the test and contain his enthusiasm when going down the center line.

There is a lovely horse named Denver's Shadow out there who I found and sold last year. I think he just sold again, down in Aiken. I absolutely loved that little guy and it was the most difficult sale I've ever gone through.

So, connemara crosses rock! When they are good, they are awesome. But there are some meh ones out there, as with any breed.

1 members found this post helpful.

I know of one who is Tb/Connemara that you would swear is a purebred quarter horse mare :0. No go button, short legs, rather small on a very large body. In that case the half-bred is a saint but fairly limited as an athlete. No way I would want to event her. There are many who are fantastic and I agree not many out there available. Maybe in Virginia, but certainly not in Florida.

I have a now four year old mare I bred and I love her. She got the best of both, quiet demeanor, forward thinking, elegant moving. She is out of a tb/Trak mare (17 hands) and a 14.2 hand connemara stallion (Top Gun). I love her! So much I have a full sibling who is a yearling and going back to breed another in 2013 Currently she is 15.2, may finish at 16? Her mom grew to 7! I am hoping for under 16 hands, we'll see.

Same mare is pictured below, my 9 year old on her for the first time, followed by me schooling her at a show (her first time going to a show to school, she was 3.5)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mia_RH_Fall2012 092.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	37632   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AnnekeonMia.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	37631  
    Beth Davidson
    Black Dog Farm Connemaras & Sport Horses
    http://blackdogconnemara.com
    visit my blog: http://ponyeventer.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by 3phase View Post
    Not to steal the topic, but has anyone ever bred/ or bought a Cleveland Bay to a Conn/TB? Always wondered how this mix would turn out..cute and athletic maybe??
    I have several Conn/TB (or Trak)/Irish Draughts....probably similar to Conn/TB/CB

I just saw that Tully Mac's Big Time Conn/Trak(?)/RID was fifth in Novice at Rocking Horse
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

1 members found this post helpful.