The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I bred one that at 2.5 was 14.3 and at 6 is almost 15.2. Dam is tb, 15.2 and sire is Connemara and 15h. I have a half conn/ 1/4 trak 1/4 tb who might hit 16 hands. I am hoping she doesn't, she is 4. 15.2 right now, but her mom grew until age 7. Mine is forward not spooky at all. Very athletic love bugs who are great movers to boot.
    Beth Davidson
    Black Dog Farm Connemaras & Sport Horses
    http://blackdogconnemara.com
    visit my blog: http://ponyeventer.blogspot.com

"One reason why horses are happy is because they are not trying to impress other horses."
    "Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction"

I think they are dreaming that this little one will grow another 3-4 inches! My purebred was done growing in height at 3 years old even though she looked as immature as this one. My current Connemara-Arabian hasn't grown more than 1/2" from 3-4 even though she looks much bigger. There's a slim chance she will get bigger but if it were me I would not count on it, just be pleasantly surprised. They seem to fill out A LOT between 5-6 years old.

It's the rare Connemara or Connemara crossed with blood that is "easy" in my experience. They are smart, athletic and often a bit hot and opinionated. Certainly worth the work if you don't mind dealing with quirky and naughty at times for a big payoff. I have witnessed even the best behaved ones get sour and cranky with too much ring work, so that is something to consider. Plan on regular hacks and gallops and limiting the dressage work

I think she's darling. A bit pony-like right now bit I bet with age and muscling she's going to be very cool!

2 members found this post helpful.

We all grew up here riding Connemaras and Con/TB crosses. None of the crosses ever stayed pony-sized but also never got much bigger than 15 hands. They were a ton of fun especially out hunting but I've always said its like riding a Jack Russell - things just came out of nowhere and you never knew what they were going to do. When I got to college in Virginia in the 70's and saw a Connemara do a very nice 2nd level dressage test I almost stood up and clapped...

1 members found this post helpful.

fwiw, my PB Con gelding was 14.1 at just 2 and is now 15 h at coming 5.

i think the mare is cute, but she definitely looks like a pony with pony gaits. i would look for something more horse gaited - esp if you are going to be showing in adult competition.

she is also narrow, so i would look at her dam and sire to see if they are also narrow as adults.... this is important because if they are smaller they can take up a lot of leg if they are more tank-ish - as an example my pony takes up more leg than my 16 h mare

if i were looking at her i would go see her in person and see if you can put her on the lunge or in a round pen to see how she works in a more controlled environment. does her gait get more rhythmic and horse like? does she seem to learn quickly?

i for sure recommend Connemara's - they are very fun to ride and the sporty ones are very atheltic!

Here's a link to a video of her 7th ride. She looks a lot smaller than 14.2hh in my opinion, at least in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1YoP...ature=youtu.be
    "One reason why horses are happy is because they are not trying to impress other horses."
    "Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction"

She's really quite cute and I don't think she looks terribly pony strided. And even if she is, I take it, since you are asking on the Eventing board, that you want to event. So, really, it matters very little until maybe prelim. If she is close, go look and sit on her. She might not make up to a horse, but if you are comfortable with the idea of riding a pony, than it really doesn't matter (one of the funnest horses I ever rode was a pony....a Conn cross, actually!).

I also think that she's a little rough around the edges, both in the grooming department (shaggy winter coat, longish mane, goat beard), and in the fitness department (she's a baby, so I don't expect a massive, solid topline). I bet with a little elbow grease and some clippers, and time for her to develop, she'll be pretty awesome looking.

To the OP, based on this video I would go buy her
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1YoPFFnL18

And in this one you can see a good gallop in there
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5YiyPtJB6k

So you have sweet and a nice canter and jump. I think she looks like a fun little event prospect. She is also now coming 4 years old this year and ready to go. I would go look at her and see how she fits you, and get a current true measurement. I think she will be adorable once she puts on weight and muscle.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalila View Post
    Here's a link to a video of her 7th ride. She looks a lot smaller than 14.2hh in my opinion, at least in this video.

fwiw, I don't think she looks smaller than 14.2, I think she looks narrow with no neck yet. My purebred was 14.2 and narrow and looked very similar. My current 14.2hh Connemara cross is really wide so appears very different. You just need to see how she looks and feels to you.

I was too big on my purebred, since I have a very tall upper body. A friend of mine the very same height as me looked radically different on her since she was proportioned differently. IMO with the small horses/ponies you just don't know until you sit on them.

The crosses I've known have varied widely. Foxfire ought to chime in here -- she's got a 16.1 or 16.2-plus champion eventer out of a 15.2h mare. They vary in height that I've seen. And I think they are also late maturing in the cross a bit.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

She's just really immature. She's going to be a totally different horse in one year. I don't like the slight paddle up front but otherwise I'd be very tempted to look at her. It's hard to find horses with that kind of natural affinity for jumping (and clearly she thinks it's fun).

I'm going to try to reserve any further judgement I have until I talk to my trainer and see her in person. It's nice that the owner bred her herself and has both the sire and dam on property, so I can go and look at both at the same time.

You don't mention budget or goals...
    but go back & watch her sire at liberty & free jump, then watch her videos again - yes she is a "young horse" but she lacks natural balance, I'd never describe her as "athletic".
    Will she "grow into herself"? it's very likely that you can work to develop her gaits etc & she will certainly improve (dramatically) with the right trainer.
    She seems a nice horse & I like that they waited to back her, her breeder seems to do a lot of things right

Consider why you're looking at a Conn/TB vs a pure Conn or TB - does this horse deliver that for you?
    If she appeals to you, go see her

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

We have a 1/2 connemara, the other side being Tb/Hann. She looked like a llama at 3. Really kind of narrow. she was 15h ish but definitely looked like a horse. At 6.5 she is in a wide saddle, with a big behind, wide flat back and big chest. Lovely girl 15.2-15.3 and her rider is just under 6 foot tall with long body. Great little mare. I trained her and loved riding her. Miss riding her really, as she was a really fun ride but she is my husband's horse :-) . Way smart. She recently had lyme disease and got quite sore. When my husband would bring her into the cross ties she would throw a fit because she needed him to know she was hurting.(he did not ride her while she was sore) Of course we knew that already and she was such a pain about it, but that's how they are. She's fine now, as we knew she would be. But I shudder as to what kind of damage could be done to them mentally if you aren't on the same wavelength. Or them to you for that matter.
    As far as your prospect. I don't like her hind end. She drags her back feet and looks uneven like she has stifle issues. I had a horse once who did this and I will never ever ever own another horse that drags it's toes. You cannot fix it and it causes a never ending succession of problems.
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

Quote Originally Posted by Stacie View Post
    We have a 1/2 connemara, the other side being Tb/Hann. She looked like a llama at 3. Really kind of narrow. she was 15h ish but definitely looked like a horse. At 6.5 she is in a wide saddle, with a big behind, wide flat back and big chest. Lovely girl 15.2-15.3 and her rider is just under 6 foot tall with long body. Great little mare. I trained her and loved riding her. Miss riding her really, as she was a really fun ride but she is my husband's horse :-) . Way smart. She recently had lyme disease and got quite sore. When my husband would bring her into the cross ties she would throw a fit because she needed him to know she was hurting.(he did not ride her while she was sore) Of course we knew that already and she was such a pain about it, but that's how they are. She's fine now, as we knew she would be. But I shudder as to what kind of damage could be done to them mentally if you aren't on the same wavelength. Or them to you for that matter.
    As far as your prospect. I don't like her hind end. She drags her back feet and looks uneven like she has stifle issues. I had a horse once who did this and I will never ever ever own another horse that drags it's toes. You cannot fix it and it causes a never ending succession of problems.
    Yes, I don't really care for her hind end as well. One of the only things that I don't like about her. Her croup is rather pointy, and I thought she looked kinda funky in her walk, though I couldn't tell if that is because she is just immature, or if that's really how she walks.

She's about 4 hours away from me now that I just Mapquested it, not sure if I want to drive that far away to see her in person. Maybe if it was only 2 hours or less, but not over 4 hours. I talked and showed her to my trainer, and she didn't seem too enthused about her.

Not to steal the topic, but has anyone ever bred/ or bought a Cleveland Bay to a Conn/TB? Always wondered how this mix would turn out..cute and athletic maybe??

Quote Originally Posted by Stacie View Post
    Her hind end isn't that bad. No one on the planet is more paranoid about hind end issues than I am. As a matter of fact I get crap for being too paranoid. But I don't see anything to worry about at liberty. Both my purebred and my current halfbred did not and do not drag their hind toes at liberty, but just after backing when they were still weak and unbalanced under a rider they both looked uneven and drug their hind end at times. It is most often totally normal, they simply don't have the strength with a rider. Especially such a little and narrow and immature pony.

I do in hand neurological tests tests and have full xrays done, plus watch at liberty and on the lunge. There's nothing in the videos that would scare me off of seeing this little one in person.

IMO if one is so paranoid about minor conformation issues and horses/ponies that may look funky under a rider at this stage, it's best not to bother shopping for them. Buy something that is a couple years into work.

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

We will have to agree to disagree on this one. because even at liberty her hind end has issues. It is just not so obvious.
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    LOVE the Conn crosses. Love them. One of my all time favorite horses to ride (who also restored my confidence in a big way) was one. He was so much fun. I've sat on many others, and they have all be equally cool (all of varying heights). Have one in my barn now that went Advanced, won NAYRC a few years ago, and is just such a cool dude. He's "big" (16 or 16.1, though a lot of that is withers). I've ridden some pony sized ones, too.

The only real problem with the Conn/TB cross is their brains. They have BIG brains (get THAT from both sides), but are Evil Geniuses (get that from the pony genes ), but have big engines (TB). So, they can be very fast little evil geniuses.
    Yellowbritches you must have Galway Blazer in your barn? I have four of his half-siblings all by *Grange Finn Sparrow. Love, love, love the partbreds by him. I'm about to move my gelding up to Intermediate next month. You can see them all on our my farm link. Sparrow's Owen is under geldings, and there are three mares, Sparrow's Tiptoes, Sparrow's Emma, and Sassy Sister.

Hawks Nest has two of his grandfoals, one of which we bred. She's under the 2011 youngstock, Brambleridge Celtic Sparrow.

How is Blazer doing??
    Fade to Grey Farm
    Eventing, Foxhunting & Connemaras
    *NEW* website:www.fadetogreyfarm.com

Her sire's sire, MGRM Brigadoon is small 13.2ish I believe, and ran Training very successfully with a teen in the tack. He has a great jump, knees to eyeballs, and a very good temperament.

I would look at the height in the dam's pedigree. I know that Briggs sire's small, but perhaps the dam's pedigree has some height? The Connemaras do grow until they're five and sometimes six. I had a just-turned-four year old here for training, and she grew 3/4" in three months. Maybe she'll mature to 15 hds. Since you're petite, she should still be plenty big for you at 14.2. My gelding that I'm moving up to Intermediate is 15.1 (http://www.fadetogreyfarm.com/geldings/sparrows_owen) and his half-sister that I hunt, and that will jump anything, is 14.1 (http://www.fadetogreyfarm.com/mares/sparrows_emma).

I think the little mare is cute, and I'm impressed with both her style and quickness through the grid, as well as her brain for jumping all those bounces!
    Fade to Grey Farm
    Eventing, Foxhunting & Connemaras
    *NEW* website:www.fadetogreyfarm.com