The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default TB/Conn. crosses?

Anyone have any experience with TB/Connemara crosses? I just found a rather scopey, 3.5 year old filly that is a TB/Connemara cross in my price range. She looks spunky, and has a great jump on her. I was originally looking for a straight TB, but this girl really stood out to me.
    Also, I know it varies a lot, but how tall would you expect a foal from a 13.2hh Connemara stallion out of a 15.2hh TB mare? She is supposedly 14.2hh now, but they say she is going to top out at 15.1-15.2hh. I'm not so sure though since she is already 3.5 years old.
    Last edited by Kalila; Feb. 16, 2013 at 09:47 PM.
    "One reason why horses are happy is because they are not trying to impress other horses."
    "Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction"

I think the height is wishful thinking by the seller trying to drum up people that want bigger horses.

All the ones I have seen seem to be on the frisky side with lots of jump. They seem to be better as a peppy pony for an adult who likes smaller horses. Pictures!
    Last edited by enjoytheride; Feb. 16, 2013 at 09:40 PM.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'd be very surprized if she put on 3 or 4 inches if she is already 3.5 years old.
    Those huge horses that end up being 17 hands need time to grow, but the ponies, I dunno. Buy what you see, not her potential.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

2 members found this post helpful.

I have a TB/Conn cross. He's 16 hands. Father was the conn. (Aladdin's Denver) and mother was in the 15 hand range, so he grew from somewhere! He is built like the Conn. complete with the pony brain... which makes him character all the time, a PIA sometimes, but he's a blast on XC and can win the dressage. I love him. Fun mix.

Here's a link to one of her free jump videos. She really snaps her front legs up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2WqhXqWSqs
    "One reason why horses are happy is because they are not trying to impress other horses."
    "Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction"

Cute video. Interesting jump chute, and I've never seen anyone use bounces. She looks like a pony, no way is she going to hit 15 hands!

She's adorable! I personally like the connemaras and the cross. I agree that they tend to jump well. I think they are generally pretty social and enjoy having a job, but can also have that pony spunk

The video is adorable and I love those snappy knees.

2 members found this post helpful.

I love the conn/tb cross. I had the pleasure of riding a 14h mare for one summer. I'm 5'8" but she felt big, her girth was deep and she had a nice stride. Jumped the moon too!!! If this girl fits and you personally click, I don't think you will find a better horse.

(the horse I rode was out of a 16h tb mare and the sire was Cashul Rock {sp?} he was fabulous)
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

I'm definitely going to show her to my trainer. I'm only 5'3" myself and 110lbs, so I'm easily her size. I originally was only looking at horses that topped out at 15.0hh and more, but really, what's two inches is she can jump really well? She's close by too, so worth a look at least.

It does sound like she is worth a look. She is adorable over fences!

I have 3 connemaras and 1 conne/tb cross. One is 13.2, one is 14.3 and the youngster is 13.3/14.0 hand at 3. They are indeed frisky with lots of go. Some lines mature late- say around 6 years of age...and I have seen those grow a few inches. The one I am thinking of ended up 15.1 but she was very rangey looking during this time. I own said mare's full sister and I don think she will get that tall as she isn't as rangey looking as her sister was at the same age. I love my conne/Tb cross- she is 15.2 with an incredible jump.

LOVE the Conn crosses. Love them. One of my all time favorite horses to ride (who also restored my confidence in a big way) was one. He was so much fun. I've sat on many others, and they have all be equally cool (all of varying heights). Have one in my barn now that went Advanced, won NAYRC a few years ago, and is just such a cool dude. He's "big" (16 or 16.1, though a lot of that is withers). I've ridden some pony sized ones, too.

The only real problem with the Conn/TB cross is their brains. They have BIG brains (get THAT from both sides), but are Evil Geniuses (get that from the pony genes ), but have big engines (TB). So, they can be very fast little evil geniuses.

6 members found this post helpful.

I can actually see the seller adding on a few inches as they do grow a little bit more when they are older. We have 2, one is a 2yr old filly 3/4 connemara 1/4 tb who is expected to make it to around 15hh or a bit more. Our other guy is a freak of nature at 16.3hh, and he definitely put that last inch on as a 5yr old. All the connemara tb crosses I've seen are scopey and super event horses. They usually have the flash to get by in dressage (even if they don't like it, our boy hates it but always scores very well) and will jump their hearts out. Just as a reference, Skippy was out of a 15hh mare and by a 14hh stallion so miracles happen although she is a bit old to get super super big.

Do you know her breeding?

[QUOTE= The only real problem with the Conn/TB cross is their brains. They have BIG brains (get THAT from both sides), but are Evil Geniuses (get that from the pony genes ), but have big engines (TB). So, they can be very fast little evil geniuses. [/QUOTE]

couldn't agree more!!!! I have to warm the barn staff not to turn their back on him... he's very sneaky and will try to escape to get to the grassy field... even jumped the 4 wheeler to get out!

I trained a full Connie way back who was a 14hhish when they bought him at 3, and at five he was 15hh. He was a Big Bear bred Connemara, for those who know .

She is adorable, love those knees, and while she does still look awfully young and immature, neither parent was very tall so I don't think she is going to grow much more.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

I trained a full Connie way back who was a 14hhish when they bought him at 3, and at five he was 15hh. He was a Big Bear bred Connemara, for those who know .

She is adorable, love those knees, and while she does still look awfully young and immature, neither parent was very tall so I don't think she is going to grow much more.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Way back when I groomed a con/tb cross he was imported from England and was 16h. He was quite the jumper but could also be strong, he evented to the then advance level, with some success was ridden by a 5.3 rider.
    The little mare is cute but as others said she does look like she has some maturing to do, and for my little experience with the breed I would say to she will do best like most other breeds with a slow and easy upbringing.

I have a 16 hh 6 yr conn/TB cross. He is amazing too. He can jump but he doesn't have the go button like most of them do, mine loves to stay chill. If there is too. Icy time while schooling fences he will fall asleep!!!
    No Worries!

LOVE them. I plan on breeding one in the near future (I have a 16.1 1/2 TB mare). I have my eye on this stallion: http://www.hiddencreekhorses.com/our-stallion.html

The ones I have known have been super athletic with a good worth ethic; also smart and sometimes naughty (be prepared!). More of a "finesse" ride. One of my past ponies was a bit spooky, which I've heard some Connies can be; but some aren't. It is very true that some Connie lines grow to age six or even seven; I've seen it. I don't think 15.1/15.2 is unrealistic for her. They definitely bulk out in that time frame. My 14.2 hand pony was wide and took up all of my leg (not fat at all, just a sprung rib cage and muscular). I am 5'7" with a fairly long femur and didn't look all that bad on him.

I think she is an adorable red fuzzball and if you don't take her I might have to go look myself!

Quote Originally Posted by Auto Be A Storm View Post
    I have a 16 hh 6 yr conn/TB cross. He is amazing too. He can jump but he doesn't have the go button like most of them do, mine loves to stay chill. If there is too. Icy time while schooling fences he will fall asleep!!!
    I forgot to add, our guy is like that as well. Until you get out there galloping on XC he is super super quiet. He has gone prelim and toted complete beginners around. Only in the past year has he moved up to jumping in an elevator over his full cheek snaffle simply because he has decided that galloping is fun (he gets a bit strung-out and doesn't want to balance back, the elevator with 2 reins works fantastic for him)