The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How long for mental decompression after long stall rest?

Did your normally easygoing horse take some time to come out of orbit once they were turned out after a long layup? By turnout I mean 10 hours, during crappy footing season (either ankle deep mud or frozen ankle twisters), plus big fluctuations in temperature. The beginnings of conditioning u/s (walking only) are less than civilized, wondering how long this may take to pass. This is not a lameness related layup, hence the turnou before u/s rehab.

My main question is concerning return to normal relaxed u/s work, otherwise we're peachy
    Last edited by Win1; Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:58 PM. Reason: clarification

About one day.

Keebler's demeanor and happiness level went to normal the very day he came off stall rest.
    Click here before you buy.

1 members found this post helpful.

My gelding is going on month 6 of stall rest for a DDFT tear. I suspect at out next vet visit they will start to clear him for turn out. I may wait a little longer until the mud dries p a bit and some grass comes in. He's actually pretty well adjusted to his prison sentence. I just don't want to spoil the recovery on a bad turn out day.

So how were they under saddle while they could only walk?

Several days, at least, and I think I used sedation the first couple of days because he was so, so wild. He was tack walking while he was on stall rest, and was cleared for turn out plus more flat work at the same time. He was wild under saddle (may have used a little sedation there, too, for a couple of days)...all that being said, my horse is a handful under the best of circumstances.

If you're dealing with a wild ride, there is no shame or harm in a little better living through chemistry. It would be silly and pointless for either one of you to get hurt while he adjusts to working life again. I know this isn't a lameness lay up, but you would hate for it to turn into one (this is why I had no qualms with using sedation for both turn out and riding my horse....silly to try and "tough it out" after spending gobs of money on rehabbing him).

I used sedi-vet the first 2 or 3 days (which I LOVE!!) and then ace pills for about a week in stud muffins.

I also hung a Freedom Feeder in his pasture as well to give him something to do because of the lack of grass right now. It's worked great...he has a big one in his stall and was trashing the hay in his pen..DUH hang one in the pasture.

I'm a wee bit nervous right now myself because he's been going out by himself in an oval round pen, and is going to be going out in a bigger pasture with his mare friend...hoping that goes smoothly.

Quote Originally Posted by Win1 View Post
    So how were they under saddle while they could only walk?
    Keebler was . . . challenging. His under-tack work preceded his OK for turnout by about 8 weeks IIRC, and he needed MAJOR sedation to be ridden quietly during that time. He is the type that thrives on work, though, and he was never a danger to me, but his goofy plunging/spinning/pretend bolting stuff was not what we wanted with his injury. He was just bored out of his skull and fractious--never reared or bucked or did anything truly horrible, but we wanted all four feet more or less on terra firma for HIS sake.

The day he got turned out was the last day I had to Ace him to be ridden.
    Click here before you buy.

How long was the stall rest? My one horse was on mostly stall (with very limited 1-3 hours turn out some days), for about 3 months then slowly brought back into work (he had a soft tissue injury). He was a calm easy going happy horse that had never bucked before, until after his rest. He didn't calm down for 10 months, and only calmed down when I turned him out into a field 24/7. I do wonder if he had some stomach problems from the stress of the stall rest and turning him out on 24/7 hay helped his stomach to feel better.
    He's currently on rest again (though this time still with around 7 hours of turnout in a small individual paddock) and I have him on a probiotic/prebiotic, and he has stayed totally calm so far. Hopefully we will be cleared to ride him later next week, but due to his behaviour now I don't suspect to have him pull any craziness.