The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Well, now, look at the sale prices on the top hats.

http://www.dressageextensions.com/Se...p?cat=02_06_01

Personally, I just could not fathom spending $500 for a silly hat, but if I had one and could not wear it to a horse show I would simply pair it with some sexy, black lingerie.

10 members found this post helpful.

I need Samshields to become verboten so I can afford one of those!
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LarkspurCO View Post
    Well, now, look at the sale prices on the top hats.

http://www.dressageextensions.com/Se...p?cat=02_06_01

Personally, I just could not fathom spending $500 for a silly hat, but if I had one and could not wear it to a horse show I would simply pair it with some sexy, black lingerie.
    The derby would be cool for foxhunting. Most proper with a black or navy hunt jacket. A top hat is proper with a frock coat, but dressage top hats are way too short, at least for men. WFP wears the correct one.

Quote Originally Posted by dressurpferd01 View Post
    At this point, USEF needs to put up or shut up. Mandate them for ALL disciplines that they govern or none. This piecemeal crap is nonsense.
    THIS IN SPADES. If I can't wear my gorgeous top hat the reiners should be giving up their expensive cowboy hats. I think it's a stupid rule but THAT is the part that is the biggest load of crap of all.

9 members found this post helpful.

Ah, well, the FEI has never been a model of consistency ,now has it?
    Last edited by skydy; Feb. 17, 2013 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    Insurance companies have either cancelled or refused new underwriting requests for homeowner's insurance in many coastal areas due to the probability of losses due to hurricanes.

They really don't care about any "precautions" individual homeowners may take. Nor should they.
    This isn't really an "all or nothing" sort of thing.

If you have a functioning smoke/bugler alarm with central monitoring it will be reflected in your homeowner's insurance premium, as it should be. That's an objective step you've taken to care for your own property and that reduces the company's risk. Your extra effort should be recognized.

New drivers who complete a recognized drivers ed class get a better rate than those who don't. Again, it's easy to show that this sort of thing protects the driver and protects the company's interests.

The problem comes when we start looking for an "amorphous" standard like "proper steps to insure their own safety."

It should be noted that auto companies have to pay off for personal injury damages in cases where a driver or passenger is not wearing a seat belt. At least I don't know of a state where not wearing a seat belt would be a coverage defense. If somebody is ejected and killed then their life insurance is going to have to pay off.

I'm a fan of helmets. I'm all for private organizations looking to their own interests when they mandate helmets as part of a competition. I'm less of a fan of government mandates (but will "hold my nose and accept them" in at least some circumstances).

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    This isn't really an "all or nothing" sort of thing.
    In general, of course you are correct. But I chose my example to drive home the ridiculous nature of the position of the poster who said that insurers should be forced to cover any activity so long as "proper" precautions are taken.

The risk of loss to hurricanes is so great that many underwriters have stopped issuing property loss policies in certain areas and there is no amount of mitigation the owners of those properties can take to make the risk palatable to the insurer. Moreover, I am sure you would agree it is the underwriter, not the insured, who morally and legally should get to make that call.

Even if it is possible to define what proper precautions are (a gordian task as you well point out), the fact of the matter is that sometimes the only precaution against excessive underwriting losses is to stop underwriting the activity because no amount of precautions from the participants will lower the risk to the underwriter to an acceptable level.

But some people either have no clue about the underwriting/insurance business or they feel they are entitled to a recovery of loss no matter what the risk to the underwriter.

Dittos what Dresseurpferd and RedmondDressage said.

Everyone or no one should be required to wear helmets.

I have a lovely derby and two top hats that I may no longer wear. I bought them long before this helmet rule, even showed in them.

Bummed I am.

It is a sport, not a fashion show. I really can't imagine people preferring to look like magicians or call girls, rather than athletes.

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeFigs View Post
    Dittos what Dresseurpferd and RedmondDressage said.

Everyone or no one should be required to wear helmets.

I have a lovely derby and two top hats that I may no longer wear. I bought them long before this helmet rule, even showed in them.

Bummed I am.

I would like to see everybody wear a helmet including reiners, western saddleseat etc.

4 members found this post helpful.

My mom had brain damage from surgery to remove a tumor. She was 65 when it happened and I took care of her for about 15 years. Her speech never got as well as CKD's but she did not have the physical effects.

She considered suicide on several occasions.

I wear a helmet EVERY ride.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

8 members found this post helpful.

In general, of course you are correct. But I chose my example to drive home the ridiculous nature of the position of the poster who said that insurers should be forced to cover any activity so long as "proper" precautions are taken.

The risk of loss to hurricanes is so great that many underwriters have stopped issuing property loss policies in certain areas and there is no amount of mitigation the owners of those properties can take to make the risk palatable to the insurer. Moreover, I am sure you would agree it is the underwriter, not the insured, who morally and legally should get to make that call.

Even if it is possible to define what proper precautions are (a gordian task as you well point out), the fact of the matter is that sometimes the only precaution against excessive underwriting losses is to stop underwriting the activity because no amount of precautions from the participants will lower the risk to the underwriter to an acceptable level.

But some people either have no clue about the underwriting/insurance business or they feel they are entitled to a recovery of loss no matter what the risk to the underwriter.
    I take your meaning and pretty much agree. From my perspective as the person making a coverage decision I don't want "amorphous standards." Those cost me a a lot of sleep!

There's also the issue of putting the insurance company in the position of acting in loco parentis.

Insurance company decisions are, and ought to be, driven by numbers. You really don't want "compassionate" insurance coverage. You want coverage that says what it covers and pays off when a covered event occurs.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Quote Originally Posted by Fairview Horse Center View Post
    It is a sport, not a fashion show. I really can't imagine people preferring to look like magicians or call girls, rather than athletes.
    Then how do you feel about keeping the shadbelly and the stock tie? Do call girls wear top hats these days? Who would have known.

How about the vaulters? They are mostly juniors too.

I think anyone riding/sitting on a horse should be wearing a helmet. I think shows should not be able to get coverage at all if they don't require helmets. I have a couple of western riders that barrel race, etc, and they wear a helmet when they ride on my property.

Anyone serious about performing their best as an athlete should be wearing attire that best helps their athletic ability & protects them within reason.

6 members found this post helpful.

I think anyone riding/sitting on a horse should be wearing a helmet. I think shows should not be able to get coverage at all if they don't require helmets.
    It's a good thing the world doesn't work like you think it should .

Quote Originally Posted by ToN Farm View Post
    Then how do you feel about keeping the shadbelly and the stock tie? Do call girls wear top hats these days? Who would have known.

How about the vaulters? They are mostly juniors too.
    I would think with vaulters sticking a helmet on would throw off your balance (not to mention it's not going to save you if you land straight down on the back your neck and jam the spine. Like G. says, you can get tens of thousands of dollars in medical bills while wearing a helmet.)

And no kidding--I'd beware the "It's a sport" argument because then why the silly coats, ties, jackets, etc?

I think anyone riding/sitting on a horse should be wearing a helmet. I think shows should not be able to get coverage at all if they don't require helmets. I have a couple of western riders that barrel race, etc, and they wear a helmet when they ride on my property.

Anyone serious about performing their best as an athlete should be wearing attire that best helps their athletic ability & protects them within reason.
    You skipped over my question. What about the shadbelly and stock tie? How does that fit in with athleticism or protection?

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    And no kidding--I'd beware the "It's a sport" argument because then why the silly coats, ties, jackets, etc?
    Wear this instead, much more "athletic": http://www.louisgarneau-custom.com/p...yle_no=3E69044

Wear this instead, much more "athletic": http://www.louisgarneau-custom.com/p...yle_no=3E69044

Yeah, if it's all about IT's SPORT, NOT FASHION!!!, let's see USEF/FEI mandate those....

Each sport has its own attire that is appropriate for that particular sport. What is appropriate in most sports is padding for safety such as for football, close fitting items such as above for speed. However the particular ridiculous example you keep wanting to use would not be appropriate for riding and likely dangerous. Since it is made from Lycra it would be highly slippery against a saddle and therefore not a good example of sport attire suitable for equestrian sports with the exception of vaulting.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)