The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    I wore my helmet into a gas station store once to get coffee - I was doing warm up rides at an IHSA show and honestly forgot that my helmet was still on. Maybe I'm subconsciously afraid of coffee or gas stations?
    Some years ago, a trainer with whom I used to work was running late. She finished schooling a horse, and the owner said they would unsaddle, cool the horse out, etc., so the trainer could move on to her next client. Trainer jumper into her car, totally forgot she still had her helmet on. Drove down the road. Stopped at a stop sign, drove into intersection... and another driver blew through the stop sign and struck her car. Despite her seatbelt, she did hit the windsheild (pre airbag car). Because of her helmet, no injury. Manure happens. I get migraines and a hot day and a helmet don't help. but I would never ride without one, even on the quietest horse: I can't control the other horses, vehicles, weather conditions, footing conditions, etc., around me. Doesn't matter HOW well behaved MY Horse is (and he could trip, drop dead from an aneurysm, etc.). Heck, a "new" pro I know was participating in a instructor's clinic and was told to wear her helmet even when lungeing. She sort of gave it a ?? expression, but did so. Strange horse blew before she could even start him on the circle and the kick just missed her head.....

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    Alrighty here, Aren't Lady Eboshi and Swamp Yankee the same poster? Why are they on the same thread?
    Because somebody said the scroll-rate on COTH was falling off lately, and "creative writing" here is fun.

My point was not that helmet wearers are "weenies." My point, up-thread, was that a better rule might have been:

"The use of an approved safety helmet is recommended at all levels and will not be penalized."

That way FEI-level adults could make their own personal, informed choice. That's all.

I would imagine that's how it'll play out overseas.

If I put on a helmet I worry LESS about falling.

And yes of course Swampyankee and LB are the same poster. Anyone with half an eye could see that.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    .How many people do YOU KNOW PERSONALLY, in all those years, who sustained a fatal or life-altering head injury? Answers: Them, none. Me: One.

OK; how many people did you hear of second-hand (not via media but hearsay) who suffered one? Answers: We each could think of only one.

Well, lemmesee. I'm nearl 68, been riding since I was 9. I personally know of quite a few people who have suffered TBIs. THe most recent being W. Arts, and he was driving a horse! Friend wearing a helmet in the pre-ATSM approval days - unconscious two weeks, skull fracture, personality affected long-term; Youngster who's horse tripped during SJ warmup; trainer on a difficult horse that fought her heading into a fence and flipped. I'd say at least one a year, fortunately most not fatal or at least recoverable from, but most pretty frickin' serious. I suppose your reply will be that I must know a lot of poor riders, but that is NOT the case. Accidents happen, and one might as well try to reduce the risk, though one cannot eliminate it.

I personally know of people who have suffered both mild and severe concussions from riding.

The eventer Jil Walton suffered a concussion walking a young horse back to the barn from the dressage ring.

SwampYankee/LadyEboshi:
    Because somebody said the scroll-rate on COTH was falling off lately, and "creative writing" here is fun.
    Ah, makes more sense then. I had not known your posts were creative writing and not facts. Apologies then for assuming you were fibbing about the visiting friends and calling EMTs and doctors, I didn't realize it wasn't supposed to be factual and was just a story to attempt to rile people up. I keep forgetting your reason for joining here was to practice your fiction skills/see how much chaos you can cause.

My point was not that helmet wearers are "weenies." My point, up-thread, was that a better rule might have been:

"The use of an approved safety helmet is recommended at all levels and will not be penalized."
    I'm going to guess the USEF might have a better idea of what a better rule would be, as opposed to guessing done by those who don't show through USEF.
    That way FEI-level adults could make their own personal, informed choice. That's all.

I would imagine that's how it'll play out overseas.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

And if IIRC, Ian Millar missed an Olympics due to a head injury a while back.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

It is so funny how Lady E denied being SY, and now acknowledges it being true b/c she screwed up and logged in as SY on a thread where she'd been holding out as Lady E.

Demented and sad, but social.

9 members found this post helpful.

Well, how does posting on the same thread as two different people help your case? Kind of doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampYankee View Post
    Folks, you're absolutely right; head injuries are no joking matter, and everyone on my farm wears a helmet, every ride now, including ME, OK? Common sense.

But the fear-mongering and dwelling on accidents is beyond tedious.

Kinda like how managing your two different accounts, badly, must be tedious Besides, if your boarders didn't, you'd surely mock them here.

5 members found this post helpful.

MistyBlue:

None of what I wrote was fiction. When I say "creative writing," I mean making a point in a way that's entertaining to COTH'ers, and yes, a little bit satirical. Sorry if it's not your flavor. All of the people I talked about this thread IRL are absolutely real and are who and what I said they were.

Main Point: I do not think the CKD-driven "scare tactics," esp. here on COTH, are helpful to riders. Emotionally-laden and melodramatic media tragedies make risks seem disproportionately high, especially when one lacks a broader frame of reference. The result, as I tried to illustrate humorously above, is that many AA's and are not riding more "safe," they are just riding more scared which paradoxically may make them LESS safe. And as my friend here said the other day, it's spreading virally to the point where, as she put it, "everyone's afraid to try anything any more." Attitudes about riding have changed greatly and not for the better.

"Perception of Risk" is a farther-reaching question than people here have discussed. Let's say a non-horsey Mom's DD asked for riding lessons; Mom sees CKD video and decides, then and there, that DD ain't gonna do any such thing. Well, there goes a kid who might have been a lifetime rider and competitor who won't get any closer to horses than a Breyer. She won't be supporting our industry, and that includes the helmet companies.

The delightful dressage scene we used to have in my area, with many local, inviting, and accessible shows both schooling and recognized, and frequently with BN judges, EVAPORATED in the mid-90's for lack of participation. The more people we scare away from even DRESSAGE riding, the more this will happen.

I quit showing only because I don't have much time away from the farm to trailer hundreds of miles to show. If the shows were still local, I would be.

Now: For those of you looking for a really nice hat to coordinate with your dressage outfit at a reasonable price, I have this one in Navy found HERE:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-CH...T/260949382668

Half the people who come here have alters. Who freaking cares?

You do.

4 members found this post helpful.

A great many people would like to post and discuss things on COTH but don't, for fear of the bullying and outing and personal attacks. If you truly enjoy this BB, and would like to see it popular and active in the long term, please consider that you and me and the usual suspects are not the only ones reading all of this.

Cheers.

Bottom line; It is well demonstrated that helmets can help prevent head injury. Allowing people to compete without helmets could be deemed negligent. USEF has instituted this rule, first and foremost, to protect itself.

If you don't like it, don't play in USEF's sandbox.
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

2 members found this post helpful.

I have always worn a helmet. Was ingrained into my brain as a child. However, when I was a kid we wore helmets with no chin strap How defeating the purpose was that!!

I had trained my horse back then to bow. Was really cute. One time was on her bareback and asked her bow. Well she did, but then being an old, arthritic mare decided what the hey, I'm gonna lie down right here instead of standing back up. I slid right off onto my head, onto the paved drive. Thankfully it was in such slow motion the helmet (sans chin strap) stayed on and I only broke my collar bone. It was such a unspectacular fall but still resulted in injury. After that my dad bought me one of those skull cap racing helmets with chin harness and you change the covers.

This is neither here nor there in regards to this discussion....just a funny story. The reality is the USEF can make what ever rules they want. It is their business and are trying to reduce their risk. If you don't want to wear a helmet then don't compete. I don't want to wear white breeches (probably the most unflattering looks a middle aged woman can wear) but I suck it up b/c I want to show.
    Read about my time at the Hannoveraner Verband Breeders Courses:
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2011.html
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2012.html

I don't have a problem with people using alters if they have a sensitive subject they need advice on but don't want to be IDd for. I've used an alter.

What I do have a problem with is a person using two user names on the SAME thread to try and argue their point. It's a little more than shady. I'm not sure what it has to do with preventing personal attacks or bullying.

The delightful dressage scene we used to have in my area, with many local, inviting, and accessible shows both schooling and recognized, and frequently with BN judges, EVAPORATED in the mid-90's for lack of participation. The more people we scare away from even DRESSAGE riding, the more this will happen.

I quit showing only because I don't have much time away from the farm to trailer hundreds of miles to show. If the shows were still local, I would be.
    So *you* quit showing for lack of time, but everyone else quit because they were skeered off?
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Am suddenly compelled to dust off the Ian Hunter album "You're Never Alone with a Schizophrenic."
    EDDIE WOULD GO

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    I don't have a problem with people using alters if they have a sensitive subject they need advice on but don't want to be IDd for. I've used an alter.

What I do have a problem with is a person using two user names on the SAME thread to try and argue their point. It's a little more than shady. I'm not sure what it has to do with preventing personal attacks or bullying.
    The mods generally frown on them used that way too. I think we all remember the Dizzy stuff.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

3 members found this post helpful.

Same here, Lady. I am one of those riders who stopped showing simply because strapping on a required helmet to show in made me realize that, OHMYGOD, riding is dangerous!!! I then became too afraid to show.*

*creative writing
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

6 members found this post helpful.