The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Don't wear a helmet, fine--but please make sure you're an organ donor!

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    They come from riding bicycles. Riding horses is far down the list. You know, the list you linked to?

Quote Originally Posted by c'est moi View Post
    Why? Selfish to the grave. I refuse to allow it.

Quote Originally Posted by c'est moi View Post
    As a matter of fact, I am. My body, my choice. I loathe the Nanny State.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by phlora View Post
    I think it's weird, I wear my helmet riding my horse, but I don't wear it while riding my bike - accidents on both could have disastrous results. I think it should be a personal preference deal. It's your choice if you want to risk it. I do like the 'classic' dressage look with the shadbelly and stock ties, black boots, white pants and the top hat.
    Thank God my husband was wearing a helmet while riding his bike four weeks ago. He was hit by a car. His helmet cracked in half, his head did not. I assure you I would not be comforted by knowing I was now a widow because he exercised his personal preference not to wear one assuming that was his preference which of course it is not.

7 members found this post helpful.

Well horses are a murderous lot by the accounts Im reading here. Oh and apparently so clumsy its a wonder how they manage to make it across the yard to eat!

I think we can all agree its safer but at the same time you cannot make everyone on the earth ride in a helmet so why start here ? No really, why?
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by RedmondDressage View Post
    THIS IN SPADES. If I can't wear my gorgeous top hat the reiners should be giving up their expensive cowboy hats. I think it's a stupid rule but THAT is the part that is the biggest load of crap of all.
    Well, last I knew, the majority of reining competitions had absolutely nothing to do with USEF. They are under the auspices of AQHA or NRHA. And the Olympics are under FEI/IOC - so, reiners get a bye. Now...at the risk of infuriating my saddle seat and Paso Fino friends, THOSE associations operate under USEF rules. So wondering aloud about them is legitimate.
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

You know, people bitched and moaned when they passed the seatbelt laws, now most of us feel naked without one in the car. You'll not only get used to it, there is a very good chance that you will be grateful to have it at some point in your life.

7 members found this post helpful.

Default THE SOLUTION

Buy a skull cap. Slap a top hat over it. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by NOMIOMI1 View Post
    Well horses are a murderous lot by the accounts Im reading here. Oh and apparently so clumsy its a wonder how they manage to make it across the yard to eat!

I think we can all agree its safer but at the same time you cannot make everyone on the earth ride in a helmet so why start here ? No really, why?
    Maybe you were trying to be funny, but Courtney Kind Dye's dressage horse tripped over his own feet in a groom dressage arena and caused her injury.

Watch this video and imagine how much her life has changed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awJDYBhBPzk

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    Maybe you were trying to be funny, but Courtney Kind Dye's dressage horse tripped over his own feet in a groom dressage arena and caused her injury.

Watch this video and imagine how much her life has changed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awJDYBhBPzk
    Nothing wrong with sharing links and educating people. I wear a helmet already.

Something very wrong with having to control every single person on the planet riding their horse.
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Gear requirements and gear trends constantly change in horses. I have all kinds of pricey gear I can no longer use (old helmets that are no longer approved, hot neoprene boots I no longer think are a good thing for my horse, old saddles that were once $$$). I'm surprised people are whining about wasting money--isn't that what are sport is about??

So you can't wear a goofy tophat? Why do you need that to feel accomplished? The relationship with your horses, your horse's training and lovely gaits are a testimony to the work...seriously, don't get caught up in all the silly trappings. Enjoy the substance of your achievement.
    2007 Welsh Cob C X TB GG Eragon
    Our training journal.
    1989-2008 French TB Shamus Fancy
    I owned him for fifteen years, but he was his own horse.

Quote Originally Posted by SisterToSoreFoot View Post
    Why do you need that?........
    One of the most offensive questions ever uttered, regardless of the topic.

Most often the answer should be: it is none of your business.

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    One of the most offensive questions ever uttered, regardless of the topic.

Most often the answer should be: it is none of your business.
    Um, I don't see it as offensive at all. I can't ask people, who post on COTH and therefore are putting their business out there, why they "need" the tophat to feel like they made it? I can't ask anyone why they feel they need to do anything? Wow, that's pretty restrictive, especially since many on this thread are arguing for personal freedoms!

People really should think about why they need to play dress up to feel good about their accomplishments.
    Our training journal.

Quote Originally Posted by SisterToSoreFoot View Post
    Um, I don't see it as offensive at all. I can't ask people, who post on COTH and therefore are putting their business out there, why they "need" the tophat to feel like they made it? I can't ask anyone why they feel they need to do anything? Wow, that's pretty restrictive, especially since many on this thread are arguing for personal freedoms!

People really should think about why they need to play dress up to feel good about their accomplishments.
    If it's about personal freedom, NEED does not enter into the equation.

And no, people really shouldn't think about why they need to wear certain clothing to feel good about their accomplishments. Unless you feel that you know better than them.

Would you walk to a perfect stranger wearing a top hat in a dressage show and ask him why he felt the need to display his accomplishments (or feel good about them) by wearing a hat and not a helmet? I bet you would not dare, because I think you know what the answer would be and it would not be polite in the least.

So no, you do not have the right to question anyone as to why they need anything. If they wanted you to know they would tell you. It is one of the most offensive and presumptive approaches one person can take with another one.

2 members found this post helpful.

having to control every single person on the planet riding their horse. Um... this rule isn't even close.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by out west View Post
    having to control every single person on the planet riding their horse. Um... this rule isn't even close.
    You're right, it isn't. But it is clear some here would love to. They have said so themselves.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    If it's about personal freedom, NEED does not enter into the equation.

Whatever. Asking people to reflect on their choices is part of understanding them. I wouldn't walk up to a stranger and ask, but if that person was going on about it on a public forum where the topic was being discussed, i.e.COTH, I would ask, and did.

Maybe I "needed" to ask the question.
    Our training journal.

IMHO, the only reason people are grousing about not being able to wear top hats is that they think wearing one proves something about their riding ability. They must never have seen the people bouncing around at Training and First levels wearing their toppers. I'm talking about people who have never ridden, and may well never ride, upper level movements, much less show at FEI levels.

Wearing a top hat proves one thing, and one thing only: you bought (or borrowed) one and put it on your head.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    Carol posted before I could. If you want to complain about wearing a helmet for showing, go ahead. But don't make false claims to try to back up your position. Do you wear a seat belt when you drive?
    Sorry, I was looking at data for TBI deaths... try to get those panties untwisted.

I am not "backing up" any position. I don't care to wear a helmet unless I have to, because I find them uncomfortable. That choice has nothing whatsoever to do with the rate of TBIs (causing death or simply injury or otherwise.)

I couldn't care less what your opinion is, and haven't made any claims; I just stated my personal opinion and choice. Unlike the helmet police, I don't presume to have an opinion about other people's choices and don't care what you do; wear a helmet if it suits you, or don't, as you like.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

4 members found this post helpful.