The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Default Helmets Required?

I was watching an I-1 test today and was surprised to see everyone in helmets (please remember I hail from h/j land and just started following dressage a few years ago). When I made a comment about it, I was told there was just a rule passed and helmets are now required. I assume it would only apply to certain levels, as I saw someone warming up for GP wearing a top hat. Just curious! I think it's a great thing if it's correct.

1 members found this post helpful.

The rule from my understanding is that ALL Jr/Yr have to wear a helmet regardless of what level they are showing. If an adult is riding exclusively FEI, then they are allowed to wear a top hat. There was a big response to Courtney King-Dye's accident and even at the olympics, many people were wearing helmets. I agree that it's a wonderful thing and even more that's it's being embraced by the community and enforced by show managers.

4 members found this post helpful.

2 members found this post helpful.

As of April yes it will be mandatory for everyone... And I'm extremely pissed off about it considering I just invested in a gorgeous top hat for my FEI debut in June. Its total crap.

6 members found this post helpful.

RedmondDressage, ride in a CDI and you can wear your top hat. It is a USEF Rule, not an FEI rule

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by RedmondDressage View Post
    As of April yes it will be mandatory for everyone... And I'm extremely pissed off about it considering I just invested in a gorgeous top hat for my FEI debut in June. Its total crap.
    So with you. I was really looking forward to wearing a top hat...
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

I wonder if all this helmet angst is age related. I'm "middle aged" and can't wait to make my FEI debut in a helmet (a nice new one) and NO double.

It's not about the clothes, it's about the training. Who cares what the USEF says you have to wear?
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

26 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie-monster View Post
    Thanks, cookie-monster!

Personally, I think *everyone* should have to wear a helmet at competitions, including FEI events, western stuff, etc. I'm sure there are a lot of people who feel differently, but that's just my two cents.

23 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MaisieMae View Post
    RedmondDressage, ride in a CDI and you can wear your top hat. It is a USEF Rule, not an FEI rule
    I'd be happy to do that were there one anywhere near my region. If you're footing the bill though I'll happily haul to California.

Quote Originally Posted by Pony Fixer View Post
    I wonder if all this helmet angst is age related. I'm "middle aged" and can't wait to make my FEI debut in a helmet (a nice new one) and NO double.

It's not about the clothes, it's about the training. Who cares what the USEF says you have to wear?
    I'm happy for you. Try to consider that some of us invested a large amount of money in top hats, and now can no longer wear them (I won't be doing any CDIs anytime soon). I spent $500 on a nice top hat two years ago, and only got to use it for one season. I'm pissed. It's my choice what to wear on my head.

7 members found this post helpful.

I thought it interesting that the FEI and USEF gave reiners a pass on the helmet rule (they were included at first.)

I suppose they realized that requiring cowboys (or cowgirls) to wear a helmet was an exercise in futility..

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    I thought it interesting that the FEI and USEF gave reiners a pass on the helmet rule (they were included at first.)

I suppose they realized that requiring cowboys (or cowgirls) to wear a helmet was an exercise in futility..
    If they did, it would probably spell the end of any USEF reining as I bet most riders would just go back to NRHA with their cowboy hats.

I always wanted to wear my top hat. I'm not a full dressage rider, but an eventer, and I eargly awaited to don my top hat and tails. By the time I get there my dream will most likelly never be possible because of helmet pushing people.

I bought my custom hunt cap for dressage and was able to wear that for 1 event. 1!! I sppent about $800 and now it just sits on a shelf looking pretty. I wear it to lesson but still not the same.

This helmet thing has gone too far. Honestly, my head, my choice. If I want to take the risk for fashion then damn straight let me take the risk.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

11 members found this post helpful.

I'm Ok with people not wearing helmets as long as they don't take a dime from anyone else if or when they get hurt. Who are we to interfer with natural selection?

50 members found this post helpful.

First world problems, people, first world problems.

I too will never get to wear a top hat, but really, in the grand scheme of things, it's okay. There are worse problems. I will get to FEI, my horse will be awesome, and I'll rock an even more awesome helmet. I won't care what's on my head because I'll be so thrilled about what I'm sitting on.

Each time you strap on your helmet when you don't want to, instead of whining to yourself about not being able to wear your top hat or not having the choice anymore, try thinking about all the people in your life who love you and are going to be thrilled they don't have to stand next to your hospital bed or attend your funeral anytime soon. Do it for them and be done with it.

47 members found this post helpful.

Wow, RedmondDressage, you are pissed! I was just trying to help you wear your top hat, not start a war.

For the record, I am hoping to make my FEI debut on Friday. I am so excited that I have made it there, through the struggles and the time it takes. My horse and I are actually gonna try it! I am so happy that I would probably do it naked if that's what the rules stated. For the sake of the other competitors at the horse show, I am glad that the rule isn't riding in the buff, haha!

13 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Pony Fixer View Post

Completely agree.

I love it when my horse that I have trained from Ride #1 onwards bangs out his tempis in a snaffle (although he has a double that mostly hangs on the tack room wall), with me wearing a helmet and schooling in full chaps.

You could make me wear a mumu and that training would still be there, but if it's not all the pikeurs and cavallos in the world won't make it so.

I actually like to ride in off the beaten track attire because it puts a little extra incentive on to make the training do the talking.

This rule was in the air for quite some times (3yrs or so)
    People should have wait before spending $$$$ on something they knew was on its last mile and about to be illegal.

23 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dressurpferd01 View Post
    I'm happy for you. Try to consider that some of us invested a large amount of money in top hats, and now can no longer wear them (I won't be doing any CDIs anytime soon). I spent $500 on a nice top hat two years ago, and only got to use it for one season. I'm pissed. It's my choice what to wear on my head.
    Well I invested a large amount of money on my CO AYR8 helmet, and now I find out that the manufacturers recommend replacing helmets every 3-5 years. I spent almost $350 on that AYR8 4 years ago. I'm pissed. I can't believe that even though I choose to protect my head this helmet won't last forever.

*note sarcasm*
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

Pony Fixer-- if you just dive off your horse onto your head, you can get a discount on the replacement

9 members found this post helpful.