The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Point 2 no longer selling Airjackets

I came across this news on E-venting website ( new site similar to EN but UK).

Apparantly the manufacture has taken their licence back for the air bag from Point 2 and will no longer be making them.

http://e-venting.co.uk/?p=679

Wonder what this means for current users of the Air Jacket and future of Point 2.

P.

On my phone and can't read the websites, but did they say why they yanked the liscine?
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

I don't think that interpretation is correct -- it sounds like they will no longer be selling air vests with the Helite triggering system. Apparently, they have developed their own trigger system so will still be merrily marketing away. Loved how they stated on their page that the rule requiring a standard vest underneath the air vest was a "stupid" rule. Endlessly amused...

That is not how I'm reading it. Sounds like only the triggering system has changed ownership rights. Shall await clarity.
    Click here before you buy.

From what I read on H&H, Helite owned the original patents that were licensed by P2. Helite has taken back all rights (not just the trigger and inflation system) and P2 is no longer the owner of the air bag technology. From what I see doing a parent search, Helite owns the ENTIRETY of patents (8 of them) for personal airbag safety vests in the EU (Gerard Thevenot, inventor), not just the inflation mechanism.

This is consistent with rumors I heard from across the pond. I think P2 is trying to do some damage control by statements about the servicing of P2 jackets and a new inflation system.

It seems to me that P2 is going out of business in the UK/Europe. Helite will take over.

2 members found this post helpful.

Interestingly, the article links to the Facebook page and Helite website and says there are statements there but I do not see anything on either site. I wonder if they were there before and have since been removed? Or maybe I am just missing them.
    Blog: http://movingonupeventing.blogspot.com/

Don't believe the hype.

Oh, the intrigue.

1 members found this post helpful.

Helite has a booth at Rocking Horse this weekend. The fellow explained that Helite was the original owners of the technology and they are now marketing the vest under the Helite name. I didn't get into the political details with him...

Wonder if it's some sort of slimy practice on the part of Point Two that caused the rift?

2 members found this post helpful.

The e-venting website story has now been updated after our visit to BETA today.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

But if Helite has 8 patents on airbag vest design, Point 2 would have to get around all eight, not just the trigger design. That would involve a complete redesign using all new technology.

There is more to this than Point 2 implies.

I think this is one of the stories that will make the courts very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by kerilli View Post
    The e-venting website story has now been updated after our visit to BETA today.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

And I guess there will also eventually be a patent fight between Helite and HitAir (Sumitomo?) as to who actually patented CO2-based vests first - Europe or Japan?
    Given that CO2 lifejackets for sailors have been around for at least 60 plus years (with identical energy storage, bag & firing technologies) I wonder if there's anything that is really patentable except the actual shape of the bag.
    Brock
    Brock n. (Anglo-Saxon) badger as in Brockenhurst, Brocklebank etc www.area35.us

I wonder if that is why Point Two is saying they have a 5 year guarantee, but charge you somthing like $60 a year to inspect the vest. I guess they aren't too sure about their new vests either. Kind of scary. I read in Horse and Hound that Helite said all P2 vests had to come to them to be serviced.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ksbadger View Post
    And I guess there will also eventually be a patent fight between Helite and HitAir (Sumitomo?) as to who actually patented CO2-based vests first - Europe or Japan?
    Given that CO2 lifejackets for sailors have been around for at least 60 plus years (with identical energy storage, bag & firing technologies) I wonder if there's anything that is really patentable except the actual shape of the bag.
    Accroding to the discussion at the annual meeting, the key patent is the fitting of the canister to the jacket. Some sort of bayonet fitting maybe? as opposed to a screw fitting.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Very interesting....not surprising though.

Where are the staunch defenders of the vests now? So surprised.

I know....I am really waiting on baited breath here for the details of this....