The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Duct tape bucket insulating (can't seem to find the thread)

Having one of those moments...
    I know I was reading a thread with directions on how to make those really cute / fancy insulated buckets with duct tape and some sort of insulation.... help! can't find it to see which kind of insulation it was (maybe it was just bubble wrap?)
    Thanks!
    ....... pausing

Not sure if this is the one you were thinking of, but...

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...ulated-buckets

For more:

http://www.google.com/search?q=insul...rse.com/forum/

(This site is very well indexed. If you add "site:http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum" to a Google search, it will restrict the results to COTH threads.)
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

I recently put this on my website www.thepitchforkchronicles.com
    It's under the steb by step tab. You may have to scroll down a little bit to find it.

I fix my heated buckets with duct tape....the plastic is crappy and cracks easily, and every year I just stick a piece of duct tape over any new cracks and it holds the entire year.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by moodymaretoo View Post
    Having one of those moments...
    I know I was reading a thread with directions on how to make those really cute / fancy insulated buckets with duct tape and some sort of insulation.... help! can't find it to see which kind of insulation it was (maybe it was just bubble wrap?)
    Thanks!
    Thats what i used to do - lots of bubble wrap then duct tape. I would put that bucket into a muck bucket filled with hay - the hay also acts as an insulator then i would fill the bucket with hot water (had to lug it from home in those big plastic containers). I stopped using the bubble wrap and duct tape last year but still use the muck bucket filled with hay and still add hot water - it was single digits last night and the water never froze - not even a speck of ice and this was after 12 hours. My barn isn't insulated and the doors and windows are open so it's pretty cold in there. I use a heated tub during the day and at night if my horses aren't locked in due to bad weather but i will not leave anything plugged in if they are locked up. :-)
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

ryansgirl - wow that's a lot of work...how long does that contraption (meant in the best possible way, i promise!) last? do you have to change the hay? I think my horses would destroy it, they would want to play with it, pull the hay out and eat it, pull the bubble wrap out....

come to think of it, my horses are pretty destructive with their play...

I use heated water buckets, and the wires go through the wall to an outlet out of their reach outside the stall.

I never had an issue doing it that way. I'd redo the buckets in the fall though in reality I could have left the stuff on (only takes a few minutes to wrap the buckets). I never had to change the hay during the winter - my two horses were very neat and never touched the hay in the bucket or dribbled water on it. I just felt better using this method instead of heated buckets while tgey were locked in. And the waterline would freeze every winter so I had to lug water no matter what. I board so not my place and I can't really fix the frozen pipe thing.
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England