The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default HELP! A/O jumper looking to ride in Boston area

I'm a Harvard Law student originally from the Chicago area. I am looking for a place to ride to stay fit while I'm at school. I have my own horses back home which I still compete on regularly, so I can't afford to lease one here, nor does it make sense for me to lease, since I'm gone so often - so I'm looking for a more flexible arrangement.

I compete in the high amateur/owner jumpers and Grand Prixs, have experience riding all levels of horses, and have been a working student for a top Grand Prix rider in the past. I know how to back and bring along prospects, have rehabilitated OTTBs, and have even helped run a lesson program, so I know how to ride beginner horses without making them too complicated.

Basically, I'm looking for a place to catch ride a few days a week. I don't need anything fancy. I don't even need to jump. I would be happy to spend the day riding around on lesson horses - I can get a solid workout even on those if I pull my stirrups off and two-point the entire time. Obviously, I would prefer higher quality horses, and I am willing to pay for lessons from a reputable trainer - but only if I can hack other horses at the barn too. I am willing to work for the chance to ride as well - I clean stalls, feed, groom, etc. with the best of them!

If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate it. Thanks so much in advance!

If you're willing to make the drive, I'd head up to Evermoor, LLC in West Newbury. Shane Powell is phenomenal and runs an amazing facility; he and his staff are actually leasing from me here in Florida during circuit. Megan Martin just merged White Fox Farms with their business and is teaching there full-time and is still there in the winter. They have some wonderful school horses and you may be fortunate enough to find something you can jump more than 2' or 2'6". Give them a call and check them out; if you're interested I will PM you Megan's number.

http://www.evermoorllc.com/
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

1 members found this post helpful.

Hi,
    My name is Kellie and I am the trainer at Walnut Hill Farm in Plainville Ma. I have a lot of clients that come and ride with me from Boston schools. We are very easy to get to. I have a lot of very nice horses you could come ride and lesson on. A few are more show horses then school horses. I have one that can school what your needs are. I also get a few nice sale horses in the spring. David Oliynyk is also in my barn and anyone who rides with me is welcome to train with him too.
    Please Feel free to call the barn at anytime. I also gave you our website. It is in need of updating but can help give you an idea what the place looks like.
    508-699-1900
    http://www.walnut-hill-farm.com/
    Thank You
    Kellie Monahan

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Punkie View Post
    If you're willing to make the drive, I'd head up to Evermoor, LLC in West Newbury. Shane Powell is phenomenal and runs an amazing facility; he and his staff are actually leasing from me here in Florida during circuit. Megan Martin just merged White Fox Farms with their business and is teaching there full-time and is still there in the winter. They have some wonderful school horses and you may be fortunate enough to find something you can jump more than 2' or 2'6". Give them a call and check them out; if you're interested I will PM you Megan's number.

http://www.evermoorllc.com/
    That sounds great! Thanks so much! I would love Megan's number.

Quote Originally Posted by kellie-monahan View Post
    Hi,
    My name is Kellie and I am the trainer at Walnut Hill Farm in Plainville Ma. I have a lot of clients that come and ride with me from Boston schools. We are very easy to get to. I have a lot of very nice horses you could come ride and lesson on. A few are more show horses then school horses. I have one that can school what your needs are. I also get a few nice sale horses in the spring. David Oliynyk is also in my barn and anyone who rides with me is welcome to train with him too.
    Please Feel free to call the barn at anytime. I also gave you our website. It is in need of updating but can help give you an idea what the place looks like.
    508-699-1900
    http://www.walnut-hill-farm.com/
    Thank You
    Kellie Monahan
    Thanks Kellie! I will give you a call soon!