The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Lovely young dog in NY/PA area

Emma came through the shelter spay/neuter program at the vet school, and I absolutely love her. I would 100% keep her for myself if I could convince the husband to agree to it...but for now I'm fostering, since that's the next best thing and I don't think she would do well in a shelter situation.
    Emma is a young adult (reportedly 11 months) who already had a litter of puppies at the shelter before being spayed. She has been treated with Advantage since coming to my house. Emma seems to be mostly housebroken - she understands she needs to pee when we go outside, but I'm not sure if she's figured out the pooping part yet - we're working on it. She's also still learning that whole stair thing...she can go up, but down is harder. She gets along great with dogs (in fact, I think she really benefits from doggy companions) and seems to do fine with cats. She has sort of learned how to sit on command - another work in progress. Emma is very sweet and mostly naps next to you during the day. She stays in a crate at night or when I am out of the house.
    I'm not sure what kind of mix she is (I'm thinking Whippet x Min Pin). She's about 16-17 lbs and could stand to gain a few ounces - definitely big enough to be a jogging partner if that's your thing (she has also gone cross-country skiing!). That said, she's also small enough to be a lap dog if that's more your speed. She has not exhibited any food or toy aggression during her stay here and has been free-fed dry food. Ideally the new adopter would pay the $50 shelter adoption fee, but most importantly I'd like to find her a great home.
    Check out some photos of Emma at http://s686.beta.photobucket.com/use...r/library/Emma (Note: these were taken shortly after she was spayed - she is now e-collar free. )
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Former owner of the best Amish-carthorse-turned-eventer ever

What a cutie patootie. I hope she gets a wonderful home. Bless your heart for taking her home to foster her. Home-life is so much better...

Thank you! She is really a doll. Here's a picture of her with my IG taken this morning:
    (Public FB linK): http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...8&l=5a30486662

i think you should be a failed foster.........lol.......

she is adorable.....i am a sucker for those stick up ears...i have toy fox terriers, and she reminds me of a larger version of them...

also have a female collie who is a bit hostile to other females,or i'd really consider her

good luck

Oh tallyho I totally would, but the husband is firm...we have one dog ("my" dog) and two cats ("his" cats), but when I remind him that I have one vs. his two, he then reminds me that I also have a 1500 lb draft cross.
    Touché.

One more super cute public FB photo! http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...8&l=46f9537e3e

Please pass her info on to ANYONE who might be interested!

Emma is such a cutie, shared her pictures on FB

Cleozowner, your husband is mistaken. Horses do not count as they are outside pets. Inside it is still 1:2.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

3 members found this post helpful.

ptownevt, I like your thinking!
    I had a potential adopter want to meet her, then change her mind before even meeting Emma as she had a friend of a friend who had a min pin and didn't like the dog. Frustrating as I have no clue what breed Emma might be - I don't want my guessing to mean Emma loses a chance at a forever home!

One more super cute public FB picture - I now have to pet dogs simultaneously: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...8&l=442f942e98

Hi Laura--you have a PM. Plus I friended you on FB.

Is Emma still available? I'm very interested in her!

Bumping for Emma!

Aww...so cute! Where in NY is she?
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

She is in Ithaca - I often drive down to the Allentown/Lehigh Valley area, so Scranton would be no problem!

Bumping for Emma. Here is a cute public FB photo I took earlier today: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...8&l=9ef1e41f68

Adorable! Have you thought @ Rat Terrier mix? I've seen a few that look A LOT like her! Good Luck

BUMP for this cutie! I have a rescued MinPin mix and they make FABULOUS barn dogs- fiercely independent and full of personality! Sharing with everyone I can think of

I wrote to you on Facebook that I was interested. Never heard back!