The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Marsha Parkinson is a train wreck of her own making, as these pictures of her horses attest:

http://www.herald-mail.com/news/hm-r...,3592722.story

http://saveadraft.blogspot.com/2012/...se-horses.html

http://www.inhumane.org/data/MParkinson.htm

http://forums.arabianbreeders.net/ga...92-canterbury/

It is just very sad to think that she may be back breeding again, when she already did the above to her animals.
    "Police officers are public servants. Not James Bond with a license to kill."

But TTSP...they all were old and all had (the very rare) age related equine anorexia!

(which is not only rare, but almost always a secondary condition to disease or poor care)

That also made them lock their owner in the house so they didn't have to be handled. At all. Ever.

And THAT is why everyone wants those horses. Those very rare Polish/Mongoloid horses with very rare anorexia. People love those type even more when they're feral!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post

Crombie...please do ask Dean. He also gave me the information as to how to create an IP address...never bothered to use that as I am on dial up and it would take forever. And..more important..unlike you and your ilk.,....I also DO post my name so people know who I am.
    Oh please DO TELL...how do you create an IP address. If anything gives you away as a know-nothing, it's that right there.

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwalker024 View Post
    This seems like a new train wreck.. Seems like a lot of those happening lately. Cabin fever anyone?
    Oddly enough, the Off Topic that just barely ended was more civil than many of the recent ones.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Seizure done right or not, the condition of her animals sucked out loud. Anyone with eyeballs would deem them seizable.
    That burdensome due process again......we should get rid of it.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    I'm not familiar with the case, and I haven;t seen pictures of those seized horses before now

Give the woman all the due process she deserves, but admit that she completely neglected those horses. Unless you're (general you, not caballero-you) willing to say those unfortunate bone racks have been CGI'd, that is just horrid starvation.

There are programs where you can mask your existing IP address and insert one i.e. that would be for a computer located at a libary or restaurant. That becomes the new IP address.

I am not computer savy so I probably stated it incorrectly.

I am unclear why this thread is AGAIN coming up.

Lets see...SHE WON...and if she could have spent another $75,000 there would have been no conditions...

Henenke of the Scale fame was going to testify on her behalf.
    A police officer who was at the farm during the seizure was going to testify and expose the laws broken

The county was forced to lift a block on land sale and when she did sell the property (the day AFTER the block was lifted) she was able to defend herself

Blue...what ever you are...DEFHR stated old age anorexia...Marsha never did....

The county acted in an unlawful manner by over-riding the vet and replacing him with one sponsored by HSUS to cancel the care contract as it was 75% complete and still 15 days to go.

The horses presented as fund raisers were, on average, 26 and up to 35. There is a list on ABN posted by the lawyer Shelley aka Dowedoit and these horses were presented as 6-14 years old
    Plus the fraud

You must be very bored to have to rehash this case over and over and over. Oh...wait....you are impowered by the internet and your ability to slander and assault anyone you wish WITHOUT disclosing who you are../..

I am very happy that after February Marsha will be able to formally file lawsuits against many of the agencies AND individuals.

Lets see who is still standing after that is complete.

By the way...even the county had to admit that 75% of the horses were NOT in condition that they should have been seized.

But then the court recognized these facts and made their ruling based on facts..not mine and certainly not yours.

Carry on ladies...nothing better than a cheap bully school yard pile on...have a nice cluster.......

I expect none of you have ever accomplished anything in your life EXCEPT your ability to type and post.

The horses were handled..how do you think she met over 3/4 's of the conditions.

This To will Pass...go back to ABN and read Maple Rob and Shelly and their posts. And look at the ages of the horses...

No sense in saying any more...I wish you well and I truly hope none of you ever have any problems in your life..

Quote Originally Posted by Coanteen View Post
    I'm not familiar with the case, and I haven;t seen pictures of those seized horses before now

Give the woman all the due process she deserves, but admit that she completely neglected those horses. Unless you're (general you, not caballero-you) willing to say those unfortunate bone racks have been CGI'd, that is just horrid starvation.
    Just so you know this woman had a stellar history of over 30 years without a glitch. The horses were fed and there was feed. The quality of the hay was local and definitely not what they had been fed. That was corrected however the seizure took place and also she was NOT found guilty of even ONE account of neglect nor abuse. The only charge was failure to provide shelter and the judge refused to let her even plead on that when he saw all of the shelters .

She fought DEFHR, HSUS, GG, PARADISE and others and she won. After they kept the horses for one year the courts only awarded them a total of $20,000.,for the 131 horses due to the fraud committed by HSUS, DEFHR and all of their affiliates.

She OFFERED to cut her herd by one half...which had been her goal from the start. The posters here are a group of individuals who don't own horses and have perfect lives...Thank goodness there is a thing called Karma...but I still wish them welland I hope they receive 7 fold everything THEY have wished for Marsha.

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    Just so you are aware..as they were trying to eliminate the due process and failed, they were then required to take down pictures of horses they said came from the seizue and it turns out they were not from Canterbury. Two of the rescues took a long long time to remove the pictures because they were great for donations....kinda like GG claiming one of the gentle giants had been horribly abused and they showed the face on the horse...turns out IT WAS CANCER....lol (not laughing at the horse...but at their story) This is why they did everything they could to stop Marsha from acquiring any money so she could adequately defend herself. HSUS, Maryland Horse Council and Equirery kept negative stories and out and out lies going out as press releases. Oh...how they are going to rue that day...

Since you "ladies" started the hunt...I think I will watch the movie The Craft

This teen film about female witches is definitely not upbeat, funny, or happy. It's about a group of teenage girls who are misfits at their school and discover that they can use the power of witchcraft to put curses on their enemies. A newcomer to the group soon discovers that the ability to use the witchcraft has gone to all of the girls' heads, and they are starting to abuse it in dangerous ways.

Somehow it seems appropriate.

1 members found this post helpful.

Fairfax, with all due respect, you have accused many here of hiding behind their usernames. I looked at your profile, and could not determine from it, who you are. Is Fairfax your first or last name? Is it the name of a farm you own/manage/board at?

Someone referred to you earlier as "Leo" - is that one of your names? Just curious since you brought it up. I used to show Arabians, and its a rather small world.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

Okay, so some Arabian horse breeder had horses seized that were very skinny? Why is she being defended? I have never heard a reasonable excuse for having skinny horses, let alone BREEDING skinny horses. No friggin' excuse. I don't care if she had Olympic level horses, that does not give anyone the right to improperly care for their animals. They should be treated the same as BYB Jane Doe with her skinny fuglies. In fact, shouldn't we hold professional horsemen to a higher standard? I hate the elitist attitude in horses that measures a person by ribbons and championships rather than how they cared for their stock. I have much more respect for someone who never endangers their horses and has only a few big name shows under their belts.

As far as anyone coming in and giving the horses homes, as long as they were willing to feed and care for them properly, why should it matter?

There was an Arabian breeder near me with some very nice stock. She and her husband imported some very nice horses and were a certified quarantine farm. She was elderly and not doing well but had someone else feeding and caring for her horses. When she became to infirm to walk outside among her horses and ensure they were well cared for, she DONATED them to a rescue BEFORE they lost condition and looked like walking skeletons. The rescue sold the animals and actually made money because of the elderly lady's excellent reputation. THAT is how it is supposed to be done when someone ends up in dire straits or a sudden change in personal health (I think she was dying of cancer).

5 members found this post helpful.

As this is a BB and not a court room, Fairfax doesn't have to tell and prove to anyone who he is.

That said, his posts speak volumes. And how anyone can defend the care giver to horses like those in the pictures also tell all you need to know.
    Last edited by CFFarm; Feb. 17, 2013 at 07:52 AM.
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by microbovine View Post
    Okay, so some Arabian horse breeder had horses seized that were very skinny? Why is she being defended? I have never heard a reasonable excuse for having skinny horses, let alone BREEDING skinny horses. No friggin' excuse. I don't care if she had Olympic level horses, that does not give anyone the right to improperly care for their animals. They should be treated the same as BYB Jane Doe with her skinny fuglies. In fact, shouldn't we hold professional horsemen to a higher standard? I hate the elitist attitude in horses that measures a person by ribbons and championships rather than how they cared for their stock. I have much more respect for someone who never endangers their horses and has only a few big name shows under their belts.

As far as anyone coming in and giving the horses homes, as long as they were willing to feed and care for them properly, why should it matter?

There was an Arabian breeder near me with some very nice stock. She and her husband imported some very nice horses and were a certified quarantine farm. She was elderly and not doing well but had someone else feeding and caring for her horses. When she became to infirm to walk outside among her horses and ensure they were well cared for, she DONATED them to a rescue BEFORE they lost condition and looked like walking skeletons. The rescue sold the animals and actually made money because of the elderly lady's excellent reputation. THAT is how it is supposed to be done when someone ends up in dire straits or a sudden change in personal health (I think she was dying of cancer).
    There seems to be two tracks here, one that the horses were not managed well, another just as important that this was about more than the horses as the big picture emerged, but a local land grab by some and one more HSUS publicity stunt around that seizure, with the expected results.

Remember, the HSUS doesn't just come in to help, they have the local rescues and animal control sign over to them so much of the rights to horses and publicity from the case and then they will come help with their herd of lawyers and millions at their disposition, a faustian deal that this time seems to have backfired on certain rescues involved, once it was clear there was some more involved that just the horses.

Evidently the HSUS and minions, yes, those that work with them are never on the driver's seat and learn the hard way how little help they get for relinquishing their rights to the HSUS in the end, here in this case, were found out to have railroaded this breeder and, once this went to court, she was lucky to prevail.

Whatever you think this lady did or didn't do right by the horses, whatever she should have done different, whatever she needs to make amends for that, "the rest of the story" is showing us how things can go wrong, if you ever find yourself accused, rightfully or not and with little recourse.

I know that more and more people around here are not keeping their old horses around as they used to, because as they, no matter how you manage, start looking less than fat and healthy, you worry that will happen to you, someone will call the authorities on you and it is extremely hard to defend yourself once accused.

While no one wants abuse cases missed, it seems that the game of calling abuse has become a witch hunt of it's own, as this case seems to show, as it seems the court has determined it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    There seems to be two tracks here, one that the horses were not managed well, another just as important that this was about more than the horses as the big picture emerged, but a local land grab by some and one more HSUS publicity stunt around that seizure, with the expected results.

Remember, the HSUS doesn't just come in to help, they have the local rescues and animal control sign over to them so much of the rights to horses and publicity from the case and then they will come help with their herd of lawyers and millions at their disposition, a faustian deal that this time seems to have backfired on certain rescues involved, once it was clear there was some more involved that just the horses.

Evidently the HSUS and minions, yes, those that work with them are never on the driver's seat and learn the hard way how little help they get for relinquishing their rights to the HSUS in the end, here in this case, were found out to have railroaded this breeder and, once this went to court, she was lucky to prevail.

Whatever you think this lady did or didn't do right by the horses, whatever she should have done different, whatever she needs to make amends for that, "the rest of the story" is showing us how things can go wrong, if you ever find yourself accused, rightfully or not and with little recourse.

I know that more and more people around here are not keeping their old horses around as they used to, because as they, no matter how you manage, start looking less than fat and healthy, you worry that will happen to you, someone will call the authorities on you and it is extremely hard to defend yourself once accused.

While no one wants abuse cases missed, it seems that the game of calling abuse has become a witch hunt of it's own, as this case seems to show, as it seems the court has determined it was.
    With the new foods, medications and management techniques out there, there's is no excuse for horses, not matter how old, to look like these. I you can't afford 'em, don't collect 'em.
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by CFFarm View Post
    With the new foods, medications and management techniques out there, there's is no excuse for horses, not matter how old, to look like these. I you can't afford 'em, don't collect 'em.
    A friend had a 32 year old blind appy, that slowly, no matter what she and her vet did, was losing condition.
    She turned him out in this little paddock with a fly mask on and about once a week animal control got calls on the "starving, blindfolded" appy.

She eventually had the vet euthanize him, even if he was still fine, other than thin and blind, as he could not be managed to look in adequate weight any more.

Animal control tried to explain to callers what the situation was, but they were then called names for not being proactive and taking that horse away from my friend.

Another friend has a registered qh she bought at two, started and competed very successfully for years, then her daughter competed with him also, that is now 41 years old.
    He, until now, looked ok, but is starting to look thinner now, no matter what they do.
    He has had yard privileges for years now and still bosses other horses over the fence and has a very good quality of life.
    My friend is wondering how long before someone drives by her house and calls animal control on him.

I was lucky that my 30 year old stayed fat and healthy and sassy, didn't look a day over 15, until he had a pasture accident and he had to be euthanized.
    He went thru two bouts of cancer, had two operations and chemo twice, but was in total remission the last two years.
    Thru that he never missed a day or a lb.

Most older horses are not that easy to keep in good shape, no matter how many miracles modern vet medicine pulls out of a hat.
    I don't know what went on here, I have seen arabians at endurance rides that looked like they needed to have animal control called on them they were so super thin, but we know that is just super fit for them and, well, arabians won't easily look like a qh.

I do think that there were horses in the pictures that were too thin, at least worth investigating further asap, but I also think the "rescue" that was done was way over the top into the possibly illegal territory and guess the court thought so also, don't forget that little pesky detail in trying to defend a rescue and the HSUS, that may have overextended their rights and disregarded the rights of others.

THAT is what is scary and can happen to any of us, an important lesson to all.

Skinny horses don't winter well. It isn't such an issue down here, but back home in Colorado, good horsemen with large herds to manage always carefully evaluated their horses each fall and euthanized those who they believed would not do well. It sounds cruel, but if you have a big herd to manage, you need to keep close tabs on them and make the hard calls. Many more horses have been saved by good horsemen using their heads than sappy horse lovers relying on their bleeding hearts.

Some rescues specialize in older horses and do it well, but they too, should evaluate their animals before winter. This is where that line between hoarder and rescuer is a very thin one.

If you have only a few older horses, those specialized diets do wonders. Our 34 year old gelding was put down this fall due to complications from melanoma. He was in decent weight.

Bluey, did you look at those pictures? Those aren't just a skinny old horse in a pasture (HSUS would not get involved in ONE skinny old horse anyway). Those are systematic, longterm starvation. No excuse. I don't care who got involved and how much people disapprove of their methods (as someone who raises cattle, I'm not a big fan of HSUS either). At least someone stepped in and took care of business. Are the horses better off? Well, then it was better to have acted, publicized, and exploited and whatever all else they did to gather sympathy and donations.

The bottom line is that if you aren't doing it wrong, you have nothing to worry about. If you do, the local authorities are free to call in whomever they can to help them when they are overwhelmed.

Bluey, did you look at those pictures? Those aren't just a skinny old horse in a pasture (HSUS would not get involved in ONE skinny old horse anyway). Those are systematic, longterm starvation. No excuse. I don't care who got involved and how much people disapprove of their methods (as someone who raises cattle, I'm not a big fan of HSUS either). At least someone stepped in and took care of business. Are the horses better off? Well, then it was better to have acted, publicized, and exploited and whatever all else they did to gather sympathy and donations.

The bottom line is that if you aren't doing it wrong, you have nothing to worry about. If you do, the local authorities are free to call in whomever they can to help them when they are overwhelmed.
    No one is excusing the skinny horses.
    "Looking at the pictures" only is not helping anyone understand this a bit more complicated case than what pictures show.

I am noting that there is more to this story than the horses, already explained why I think so.
    Remember, two wrongs never make anything right.

You can do what is right for the horses without doing wrong while doing it AND the court seems to have agreed in this case.

I don't care who got involved and how much people disapprove of their methods (as someone who raises cattle, I'm not a big fan of HSUS either). At least someone stepped in and took care of business. Are the horses better off? Well, then it was better to have acted, publicized, and exploited and whatever all else they did to gather sympathy and donations.

This attitude of "the end justifies the means" is truly frightening.